Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Word documents locked for editing by other used"!

Options
  • 12-11-2015 9:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭

A few weeks back my demonstrator took my PC to the computer guy in the department to put microsoft office on it. I thought 'great, it's free and all'.

Just now I've been getting a message as follows anytime I try to open a word file;

"The document file name is locked for editing by another user."

When I look under "properties -> details" of any microsoft office file I've created, it
    says "authors: computer center" & "Company: UCD"

Some webpage about the matter says it could be one of 3 problems:

Word previously quit improperly and, therefore, did not delete the owner file.
    -or-
    A second instance of Word is running in the background with the document already open.
    -or-
    The document is shared over a network, and another user has it open.

Well the first two problems don't seem likely now do they. And after all, the actual message displayed was "The document file name is locked for editing by another user." I don't like the sound of this.

Although I don't seem to have network sharing enabled, does this mean that the university could potentially look at microsoft files on my pc?

Comments

Advertisement