Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for returning emigrants

Options
  • 12-11-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice from "the ground" so to speak regarding rental accommodation in Dublin. My OH and I are returning from Canada in December and are both starting work right before Christmas so we need to find a place fairly rapidly - we can both commute from parents homes for a couple of weeks but it's a long commute so not looking to do it for longer than a few weeks.

We want to live in Dublin 2, 4, 6 or at a push Dundrum or Stillorgan. I guess my question is how prepared do we need to be to wait weeks/months to get a place and should we consider a short term (1-3 months) rental first of all? We have our landlord reference from Canada but not sure how useful they will be in Ireland and will have work references. Our budget is 1800-1900 (at a push) monthly for a 2 bed place. It looks from Daft that there are plenty of those types of places available but friends are telling me that there could be dozens of people at every viewing, places are left on Daft for months when they're already let, agents never call back etc. Is this all true? Any tips other than the usual when meetings prospective landlords - will be dressed professionally etc.

Separately - we also have a dog which I am told is a "total no no" when it comes to renting in Ireland so if we cannot find a pet friendly place we will look at having her live with my parents (who have agreed!) for the first 6-8 months until we can buy a place of our own (year long leases will have to be managed separately!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

Sorry, I tried to edit my first post to add in the part about our dog but it's created a second thread. Can someone delete that for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look on rent.ie too,
    yes theres a housing crisis,
    for every house ,or flat there,s 10 plus tenants.
    Theres a crowd at each house flat ,viewing ,

Go To www.rent.ie ,daft.ie southside, search 1200 plus for rent.
    Have all documents,ready,when meeting agent,landlord.
    eg proof of employment,something which shows your income,id.
    i work at x company as a .
    Look at houses or 2bed apartments .
    i Think landlords are asking for a tenant to sign a lease for a year.
    And expect a large deposit .

be careful of scammers ,putting ads on the web,house for rent.

See below example google search rent scam house dublin

Renters conned out of thousands in property scam - Irish ...
    www.independent.ie/.../renters-conned-out-of-thousands-in-property-sca...
    Oct 19, 2013 - An apartment in Dublin's city centre was advertised for rent last week on property website Daft.ie. Two potential renters discovered their keys ...
    Con artists target students in rent scam - Independent.ie
    www.independent.ie/.../con-artists-target-students-in-rent-scam-3061047...
    Sep 24, 2014 - Similar scams have been discovered in Cork and Galway. According to the Union of Students in Ireland, hundreds of Dublin students who ...

Rental Scams: Beware of The Phantom Landlord
    blog.myhome.ie/2010/04/.../rental-scams-beware-of-the-phantom-landlo...
    Apr 19, 2010 - Be advised that MyHome.ie will never ask you for money. ... Potential tenants view a rental property and are requested to pay a deposit and at ... My name is John Nalty and i have an apartment for rent in Dublin, Bakers Yard, ...
    Is this a rental scam? How to proceed? : ireland - Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/.../ireland/.../is_this_a_rental_scam_how_to_proc...
    Oct 12, 2014 - So my girlfriend is looking for a place in Dublin with her friend and she found somewhere that feels too good to be true. It a 2 bedroom house...
    Paying a deposit - Get Housing Advice » Threshold - The ...
    www.threshold.ie/advice/...rented-accommodation/paying-a-deposit/
    Threshold National Housing Charity is based in Dublin, Galway and Cork and ... When you rent a property, you will usually have to pay a security deposit. ... You may be able to pursue it through the small claims court see

www.courts.ie. Be aware of possible scams aimed at getting deposits/rent from prospective tenants and ...
    Apartment Scam? - boards.ie
    www.boards.ie › ... › Society & Culture › Accommodation & Property
    Dec 18, 2009 - I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in Liverpool will be .... i dont know much about rental prices in dublin but surely €400 for a ...
    Possible rental scam, should I be wary? 24 Jul 2015
    House / apartment renting scam 5 Nov 2014
    Letting agency requesting full months rent to register interest ... 27 Jan 2013
    Rent to Buy Scam? Donegal 8 Aug 2009
    More results from www.boards.ie

Up to 30 people fall victim to Dublin rental scam - Breaking ...
    www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-30-people-fall-victim-to-dublin-rent...
    Apr 21, 2006 - Up to 30 people fall victim to Dublin rental scam ... the Ballsbridge area on property website Daft.ie and then rented it out to everybody who was ...

BE very careful of paying a deposit ,met the landlord at the house,
    apartment.
    get receipt,s rent book, for all payments made.
    do not pay in cash.

Just because there,s an ad on daft.ie or some other website
    does not mean its totally legit.
    IF you pay the rent on time ,whats the problem with having a dog.
    If you want to say i have 1 dog, is that ok. is there a clause in the lease re not having pets in the house.
    or just dont mention it.

Thanks riclad - gosh I didn't even think about scams - I was really only worried about how expensive places will be and how many people there will be at viewings....scams are a whole other problem! A lot of the links above don't seem to be working but I get the general idea.

I wondered about the dog issue since we are likely looking for a house rather than apartment and I thought if it doesn't specifically mention "no pets allowed" in the lease could we avoid saying it but friends and family tell me that could be extremely risky so I don't know. I know most apartment complexes don't allow pets at all so it's not a landlord specific issue. Our plan now is to 1. look for places specifying pets allowed in the ads and 2. places that don't say anything and meet them, see if they like us and only then bring up the pet issue and hopefully they'll feel we'll be good tenants and will allow it then. It's so different to Canada - almost everywhere is pet friendly here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please respect the owner of the property who may be handing over keys of a property worth a six figure sum and be up front about the dog. Contemplating hiding it from them is not a sign of a good tenant.

You are right that apartment developments almost universally prohibit dogs, as do many developments that have houses as well as apartments. This will restrict your search.

Given your tight schedule I'd be tempted to engage an agent to find you a property. Your search area is possibly the most desired in the city and the dog makes it even harder. The market in Dublin is fiercely competitive as supply goes nowhere near meeting demand. A helping hand may make all the difference.

As soon as I said that I had a feeling I was going to get a reprimand of sorts :) I am a property owner myself and I don't have anything in my lease agreement about pets and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my tenants got a pet (maybe that's just because I'm a pet owner myself :) ) hence why I was wondering whether it needed to be said if it's not specified in lease agreement.

And yes I know I sound defensive (can't help it, sorry!) but our dog is impeccably trained and hasn't done so much as $1 of damage to our apartment here so I'd be highly confident no one would ever know she was even there but I appreciate plenty of people think all pets destroy houses with hair and scratches etc so I understand what you're saying.

Yes - an agent, maybe that's an idea. Would they visit places on our behalf before we get home? Lastly, are we being realistic about our budget for that area or should we consider other parts of town?

Thank you athtrasna :)

• Advertisement

Quick update just in case there are other house hunters out there with a pet. We found a lovely house in Milltown, D6 where our doggy is welcome :) It ended up being surprisingly easy - we had offered to pay an additional pet deposit but landlord said it wasn't necessary. We contacted 5 places on Daft where pets were not mentioned on the advert and 3 of them said they would be ok with a pet. We have it written in the lease as well. So it was very straightforward and perhaps we just got lucky or it was a quieter time of year for renting but delighted with the outcome.

Advertisement