Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambing Sheep and working

• 12-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I am guessing that a large proportion of irish sheep farmers are part time farmers who hold down a full time job. My question is how do you lads fare out during lambing? do you have someone who takes a look during the day and you do night /eve work or do you outdoor lamb them late in spring and hope for best?

im eyeing up having a flock to lamb in april next year at ester,that are lleyn x to hampshire ram, just wondering how worse the weaning % would be with a less labour or human interference approach?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 j12gerst4

My granddad used always hire in a local boy to be there just incase, have a phone to call the vet. All under the table of course. If your job is paying that you end up better off that might well be the option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah just thinking long term , im nearly qualified teacher so, il rearrange lambing for easter holidays and mid term in feb. my father is still here well able to keep an eye and bring in anything in trouble but for future. only for i think theres a decent profit in sheep id cut back. to be honest i fear i may be upping sheep numbers not beef to up farm profit.

Advertisement