Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide On Ice

Options
  • 12-11-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this on facebook today

IMPORTANT PUBLIC NOTICE - We regret to inform you that due to a very small number of local objections, the whole of Malahide On Ice event has officially been cancelled.
    We are looking for an alternative venue and if that comes through we will inform all. Thanks to all those who did support us over the last few weeks!!

What do ye think?
    Sure it would have only been there till January.

** Mod note: Thread title updated. **

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moved from AH to Dublin County North. Read the local charter before posting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Peregrine wrote: »
    Moved from AH to Dublin County North. Read the local charter before posting. Thanks.

PM ME WHAT I should have read

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was on Liveline today and I think Monday, basically 2 residents of the marina didn't want it their because the people arriving might bring "residue", whatever that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153317122557862&id=163114637861

Not due to objections, but the organisers own lack of getting a proper licence apparently...

What were the local objections in relation to anyway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cena wrote: »
    PM ME WHAT I should have read

Pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was this a private venture or a council run one?

Peregrine wrote: »
    Pardon?

Asking you to pm me what I should read.

From you
    Read the local charter before posting

Was this a private venture or a council run one?

Private I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Asking you to pm me what I should read.

From you
    Read the local charter before posting

For people posting after you, different rules than AH. That's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

"Cllr Guerin admitted that some of the losses incurred by Andre Jenkinson, the organiser of Christmas Kingdom, will have to be covered by Fingal County Council at a cost to the tax payer."

Brilliant. Thanks for that, Malahide residents.

• Advertisement

Private I think

So I wonder if the council will have to compensate them.

I mean everyone will have to pay in Fingal for the objections of two residents now.

I was going to put a smiley there, but it's not funny either.

"Cllr Guerin admitted that some of the losses incurred by Andre Jenkinson, the organiser of Christmas Kingdom, will have to be covered by Fingal County Council at a cost to the tax payer."

Brilliant. Thanks for that, Malahide residents.

Also local shops well have to pay to remove some of the stuff

Rockville 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

The state of the setup, it looks awful like a warehouse and it's far too big for that green. Also there's no parking in Malahide village and most of the roads are one way. This should have been organised for the castle grounds as it's huge with loads of free parking. It's a shame the Malahide residents are getting the blame for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I listened to the residents and how put out they were about their green being taken over and I'm glad it's not going ahead. Sounds like it wasn't the ideal place to host such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

I live in the marina, (i didnt object by the way, was actually quite looking forward to it) but it was a stupid place to have it, traffic is a disaster there with very limited parking. Clampers would have had a field day.

And the complaints from the residents would have been meaninfless if the proper avenues had have been followed with correct permissions and licences.

Everyone saying shame on the residents and how it would have been brilliant for the kids ect are entitled to their opinion but the people who live there use that green, and construction was happening at night, disturbing the residents. They were completley within their rights to complain.

I dont see why they couldnt put it in the park where they hosted the huge ireland vs England cricket game. There was big grandstands in place for that, and far far less people affected.

Its very easy to say you would have loved to travel out and enjoy yourselves, even if it happens to be at the expence of others, but you have to remember the door swings both ways with these things, a lot of people are relieved its gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Driving through Malahide last weekend I saw the fence around the green and the signs for Santa's Kingdom, and it did strike me that it would cause traffic chaos. That's a bad enough bottleneck anyway, and there's nowhere nearby for large amounts of people to park.
    I'd have thought the castle grounds would be the perfect setting, or even the grassy area beside the huge beach car park where they usually have the summer carnival.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

It's still being advertised on TV3 :(

Any idea of why they moved it from St Anne's Park last year? I went over a few times mainly for the food stalls and it looked a decent set up. I was looking forward to it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Malahide Chrismas Kingdom only brought to Councillors on 4th November http://meetings.fingal.ie/documents/s17937/Malahide%20Christimas%20Event%20Update.%20Sample%20Report%20for%20Corporate.pdf the council itself says "timeline on planning of this event was
    tight"

I live in the marina, (i didnt object by the way, was actually quite looking forward to it) but it was a stupid place to have it, traffic is a disaster there with very limited parking. Clampers would have had a field day.

I dont see why they couldnt put it in the park where they hosted the huge ireland vs England cricket game. There was big grandstands in place for that, and far far less people affected.

Malahide Castle is having its own (smaller) Santa thing https://t.co/PpSePakYTH

• Advertisement

alternatively
    To Paul Reid, CEO of Fingal County Council

This is a petition from the vast majority of the community of Malahide who feel have had no say in the abrupt cancellation of Christmas Kingdom. We are in favour of this event. Our voices and viewpoints have been unheard. A meeting was held today by a small minority of the community against said event. We also ask to be properly informed as to whom and why his event was ultimately cancelled. This meeting was not well publicised and it's outcome judging by the deluge of social media response, is not the outcome that most local residents are in favour of.

We ask that the event be reinstated, or a public meeting organised so that the entire community can be heard.

Many of the local children are devastated by today's outcome having been eagerly awaiting this event. Many businesses will suffer also by this decision.

Bring back the spirit of Christmas to our village. We are the voices of the community and we ask to be heard.

Kind regards,

The people of Malahide
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-christmas-kingdom created by a Bissett

presumbly the owner decided to cancel it although herald says its not definite http://www.herald.ie/news/future-of-christmas-kingdom-in-malahide-hanging-in-balance-34195854.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The internet makes it far too easy for people sometimes. How can a petition claim to be from the "vast majority" of Malahide people, before anyone has even signed it....? How about if it was moved to a location that would inconvenience others of this majority? Different tune then.

The reality is the Green was unsuitable in the first place, there is too little scope for parking or to contain the event. The anti-social potential is very real.

Fingal CoCo have enough publicly owned venues that this could have been hosted at and should now. A poor decision by them which at least was rectified. Public consultation should not be taken for granted.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/665226404401950720 FCC announces its moving and merging some of the rides etc to Malahide Castle,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And the complaints from the residents would have been meaninfless if the proper avenues had have been followed with correct permissions and licences.

Everyone saying shame on the residents and how it would have been brilliant for the kids ect are entitled to their opinion but the people who live there use that green, and construction was happening at night, disturbing the residents. They were completley within their rights to complain.

Its very easy to say you would have loved to travel out and enjoy yourselves, even if it happens to be at the expence of others, but you have to remember the door swings both ways with these things, a lot of people are relieved its gone.

That is a cricket ground. Could people not have parked in the castle and walked?

Disappointed it isn't going ahead. Is it the residents green? I would have thought it would be the community/councils?

Whatever about the residents it does seem like the planning was badly done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153317122557862&id=163114637861

Not due to objections, but the organisers own lack of getting a proper licence apparently...

What were the local objections in relation to anyway?

No it was due to a small number of people objecting at a meeting in the grand hotel. Co council did not help by not having public consultation in the first place.

BREAKING NEWS | THE CHRISTMAS KINGDOM IS BACK: We are delighted to announce a new series of Christmas Events for Malahide Village. Fingal County Council have developed a new festive format that will link the revised event on the Green with enhanced activities in Malahide Castle and elsewhere in the town. This will be a real community affair, creating a memorable Christmas atmosphere in and around the town and provide a huge boost to the local economy. This is an event for everybody to appreciate and enjoy and we can't wait to get involved.

Huge thanks to Cllr's Eoghan O'Brien, Anthony Lavin and Keith Redmond who came together to address the valid concerns of residents and on the back of the over whelming local support, managed to secure a positive result and over turn the decision to cancel the event. Special mention for Sen Darragh O'Brien for his hard work facilitating dialogue between all the various parties and of course all the people who commented on Enjoy Malahide, as it was this very public support on social media that showed the council the need to make something happen.

Full details:
    Fingal County Council, is delighted to announce Christmas Events for Malahide Village. These events will deliver economic benefits to the local area, provide a festive community experience and address concerns voiced previously by local residents.

After meeting with local residents on the 12th November, and following discussions with local Councillors, Malahide Chamber of Commerce, Malahide Castle Management, the Christmas Kingdom Event organisers and the Gardaí, Fingal County Council has developed a new format which will link the revised and downsized event in Malahide Green with enhanced activities in Malahide Castle and elsewhere in the town.

A number of options were considered, following which it was decided not to relocate the event from Malahide as it would have implications for the community, local businesses, and to people who have already purchased tickets. Ticket holders will now be given access to all activities.

A range of additional mitigating steps will be taken to address issues raised by local residents including the relocation of the merry-go-rounds, carousels, chair-o-planes and other amusements from the Green to Malahide Castle and there will be unimpeded access to the Green for local residents. As part of this bigger and better festival there will be a free shuttle bus service running between the Green and Malahide Castle, a traffic management plan, full-time litter crews servicing the event and 24 hour security to guard against anti-social behaviour.

As a result from this experience Fingal County Council will be putting in place more robust arrangements for future events in the County.

Ah FFS

Fingal CC and Christmas Kingdom a little too self congratulatory about the mess they made of this

Fingal CC and Christmas Kingdom a little too self congratulatory about the mess they made of this

It's great PR for them though. It has pretty much guaranteed that the whole of Dublin knows about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

I was surprised it was ever canceled i thought local businesses would have had to much sway in the matter. It should be good craic in fairness even if the traffic is a bit of a pain in the backside for a few weeks.

Advertisement