Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

For the love of God someone help me

• 12-11-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm trying to do some work to my dragstar and want to remove the swingarm but the bolt holding the shock in place is not budging. I've been spraying WD40 every night on it for the last week and I can't move it. If you look at the pics you can see what looks like the type of nut you would get on a grinder. Tried moving it but that's seized too. I can't get in to persuade it with a hammer because the frame is in the way. What do ye think. Any ideas?DSC_0177.jpg

http://s909.photobucket.com/user/laoch_fearr/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Have you tried penatrating oil as opposed to wd40. Alternatively you could try heating the nut before trying to remove it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try a heat gun, wouldn't risk a blow torch as it looks like there's bits around it that wouldn't like that much heat.
    What happened when you got it so far out? Usually they are stuck in and once you get them moving they keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Have you unbolted the top of the shock? Swivel the shock while holding bolt head?
    Removing s-arm and shock in one piece might help. Might be easier on a bench. Depends if you have a bench vice available.

A long chisel or punch to reach the end of the bolt? A new bolt won't be expensive - and it should be high tensile.

WD40 - Yeah, get something better.
    And plenty of heat - without melting the bushes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Can you remove the top bolt and leave the shock on the swinger and remove the whole lot in one piece?
    Then when you have it out you can stick it in a vice and batter/heat/grind it out.
    This situation leads to snapped shocks if not remedied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Mark74

i think theres some confusion..

is this right??..
    - the nut is loose, just still sitting on the bolt.
    - the grinder type nut you mention is further in by the frame, with 3 circular indents.
    - its the long bolt wont push through the hole.

if thats correct..."that grinder type nut"...is not a nut...thats an integral part of the frame.
    & i think.....on those..that bolt may be threaded in...so you should be unthreading from the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Judging by the pic that bolt is welded in with rust...a blow torch will probably just get absorbed by the bushes and melt...you really need to get some sort of bar onto it and drive it out ..the bolt will need replacing anyways..Leave the nut in place undil it hits the frame otherwise you'll just spread the bolt bigger than the hole..

As above..did you try turning the bolt head..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks for the replies lads. Mark 74 had is explained right. I just have a but on the bolt to stop the bolt splaying as I beat the **** out if it. I think, as a couple of ye have suggested, the only option is remove everything with the shock attached and persuade it with a bigger hammer. Was just hoping there was a faster way. I'll let ye know.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

that bit with the three holes punched in is not a nut of any description, its welded to the frame to allow a suitable amount of thread, you need to undo the bolt head from the other side.

I put the heat gun to it and sprayed penetrating oil on it. Finally got it rotating. Still not budging out. Reckon I'll need someone beating it while I twist it. At least it's progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Mark74

Great..if its twisting then it will get there. Very suprised its doesnt need to be unthreaded..still almost suspicous its not a bodged thread that someone maybe hammered a replacement bolt through.. But ya as you say a bit of tapping while twisting...(.anticlockwise just in case..!) will get it now. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

If you cant swing a hammer at it, use/borrow a sds drill , use the pointy chisel....;)

I've seen Swingarm bolts seized solid inside the bushings, they will turn but won't move in or out.
    If its a major operation and risks damaging other stuff, borrow a sawzall and use a couple of metal blades to cut the bolt where the rubber oil seals are on the inside of the swingarm mount.
    It can save a lot of heartache in the long run.
    You'll more than likely have to replace the bolt anyway so order the bolt/bushes and seals now and they will be ready for when you get it out.
    ACF the hell out of the bolt and bushes when you refit it, these are supposed to be removed and greased every 10k and if you don't then you get the same issue of corrosion again.
    Pack with waterproof grease as well.
    I wonder could you drill a hole in the shock eye and fit a grease nipple? It might make a big difference next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Mark74 wrote: »
    Great..if its twisting then it will get there. Very suprised its doesnt need to be unthreaded..still almost suspicous its not a bodged thread that someone maybe hammered a replacement bolt through.. But ya as you say a bit of tapping while twisting...(.anticlockwise just in case..!) will get it now. Good luck with it.

Oh lol you havent a clue, it will twist till the cows come home.

Oh lol you havent a clue, it will twist till the cows come home.

Helpful advice there all right....if youre going to post once only, at least make it a good one...:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Shock is unloaded, right?

So I pulled the whole lot out. And I still can't get it to budge. Its rotating freely, the bushings and all are turning with it.
    I can move the shock sideways no bother. it just won't come out even though I can now hit it directly.
    As cjhaughy said I'll probably have to cut it but there's not much room as you can see in the pic. (That's just a screw driver pointing in)

You'll need to be able to put the lot against something solid..if you have a mate and a piece of pipe that will fit over the bolt head and against a wall or the ground and beat it like Michael Jackson...i had to do that with a stubborn engine bolt...:)

I wouldn't waste time and possibly blood beating on that seized bolt.
    A power hacksaw will eat through that rubber seal and bolt collar and be done with the job in no time.
    Too much beating runs the risk of breaking or bending the shock mount and stressing it in directions it was never meant to move.
    I bet you could stick that in a 10t press and it would hardly move.
    Its a bad design, it really needs a kind of deflector to stop all the crud being thrown onto it.
    MX bikes have them to stop the shocks being blasted by crap, maybe you could rig up something similar with a piece of inner tube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    A power hacksaw will eat through that rubber seal and bolt collar and be done with the job in no time.
    Too much beating runs the risk of breaking or bending the shock mount and stressing it in directions it was never meant to move.
    Its a bad design, it really needs a kind of deflector to stop all the crud being thrown onto it.
    MX bikes have them to stop the shocks being blasted by crap, maybe you could rig up something similar with a piece of inner tube?

Wouldnt Packing them with a load of heavy grease to the very same job with little effort

listermint wrote: »
    Wouldnt Packing them with a load of heavy grease to the very same job with little effort
    Yes, heavy waterproof grease does help, but any suspension component that is in the line of fire from the rear wheel will suffer

Deauvilles are the same and a small plastic guard in front of the shock or a piece of innertube cable tied around the top of the shock and open at the bottom makes a big difference.
    Ideally they would have a grease nipple installed on the shock eye and you'd just pump some fresh grease in every so often.
    But in reality they are probably assembled dry in the factory, most of them go to the US where they are ridden in dry summer conditions and never have the kind of abuse they get here.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »

You'd be doing well to get a hacksaw in there without catching the framework...my suggestion works but you need to strike it against something solid..;)

Incase anyone faces the same problem, I finally got it out. WD40 fast release penetration oil, a pointy bolster, a 6lb lump hammer and a few curses and out she came
    DSC_0205.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Too much fannying around at the start

:p

listermint wrote: »
    Too much fannying around at the start

:p

Exactly. Next time it's straight for the lump hammer :)

Exactly. Next time it's straight for the lump hammer :)

Never hurts to ask for advise.....remember..

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people!.............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

The Persuader :)

Advertisement