Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 8191.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Saturday was one long wet TA. With a few rainbows :) First I seriously mislaid my keys. I was heading out early and it was still dark... stopped to use my money off coupon at Supervalu. they had had an impressive special on " my " coffee so I planned to use the coupon to fill my cupboard with that.. You guessed; no more offer... the rain was supposed to be afternoon so I headed for Mizen Head to walk there.. You guessed. the rain arrived around 10 am and got rather wet gathering and and seaweed but a lovely wind... Lovely folk at almost deserted Mizen Head fed me as they always do bless them but too wild to walk. Then the drive home in sheeting rain and low cloud. Caha Pass was awesome.. But then met a lovely couple in Supervalu.. and cadged chicjen backs and some firewood... The moral of all this is that even when the day starts with the TA from hell, there can be rainbows along the way...Now all I have to do is get over the nasty bug I caught along the way..Worn a path to the toilet here ....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Felt a sudden ringing noise in my ears today. I googled tinnitus and came across a video of a woman wanting to end her life because of it :-(

You'll be grand, I've been getting tinnitus on and off for years and I'm still here :D

Sometimes you can just get a ringing in your ears every once in a while, I'm sure it will go away in time but if it doesn't then maybe go to your GP just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Medusa22 wrote: »
    You'll be grand, I've been getting tinnitus on and off for years and I'm still here :D

Sometimes you can just get a ringing in your ears every once in a while, I'm sure it will go away in time but if it doesn't then maybe go to your GP just in case.

Wise words. I get occasional tinnitus but not constant. Thankfully, Yes permanent constant tinnitus can drive you over the edge. It is in your head and never any rest from it. There are alleviations, white noise headphones and some kinds of hearing aid will help. Mine was through wearing ear plugs when the """""" across the back was using a crowbanger far too near, 24/7. I find a bit of oil soaked cotton wool helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think today will be the day. My stomach is churning. I'm ready for defeat but praying for victory. I feel like everyone involved in the decision is looking at me, and I don't know if it is sympathetically or in awe, or if I am just paranoid. God help me! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,163 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think today will be the day. My stomach is churning. I'm ready for defeat but praying for victory. I feel like everyone involved in the decision is looking at me, and I don't know if it is sympathetically or in awe, or if I am just paranoid. God help me! :/

Sounds like you were on the sauce last night and are suffering with "the fear". Don't worry mate - it is NEVER turns out as bad as you think it will.

F**king fuming with people who don't give a f**k about their car, and ergo don't give a f**k about yours. I was walking behind a lady today and noticed she was going for the car next to mind. Bearing in mind the weather is mental, wind whipping around the carpark, she walks over and takes no care whatsoever in opening her door. It swings open and while I am thankful that it didn't smack into my car door, it landed at a part of the mirror which is rubber. However, when I got into the car it had actually forced the mirror to a point where it would not open back up when I clicked the button. I thought for a moment that she broke it but I got it working :mad:

No regard for other people's property :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You're not paranoid. We're all looking at you. And judging you. And we've tracked you down to Boards. You'd better hope we like your posts....

:pac:
    Good luck with it OldNotWise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

No electricity this morn as power lines were knocked out by winds last night. Conversation with 3 year old as follows..
    A I can't do scrambled eggs this morning as we have no power. So you can have shreddies, weetabix or rice krispies for brekkie.
    - A replies, I will have the eggs please.

This x10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

everlast75 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were on the sauce last night and are suffering with "the fear". Don't worry mate - it is NEVER turns out as bad as you think it will.

F**king fuming with people who don't give a f**k about their car, and ergo don't give a f**k about yours. I was walking behind a lady today and noticed she was going for the car next to mind. Bearing in mind the weather is mental, wind whipping around the carpark, she walks over and takes no care whatsoever in opening her door. It swings open and while I am thankful that it didn't smack into my car door, it landed at a part of the mirror which is rubber. However, when I got into the car it had actually forced the mirror to a point where it would not open back up when I clicked the button. I thought for a moment that she broke it but I got it working :mad

No regard for other people's property :mad:

I am the guy always parked two miles across the car park in the top right corner, as far from the shop as you can possibly get, well away from all other cars. When I return, there is always, always some Cnut in a twenty three tear old fiat parked exactly four inches from my car. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I am the guy always parked two miles across the car park in the top right corner, as far from the shop as you can possibly get, well away from all other cars. When I return, there is always, always some Cnut in a twenty three tear old fiat parked exactly four inches from my car. Bastards.

Same ones who sit beside you on public transport even though there are plenty of other double free seats :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Same ones who sit beside you on public transport even though there are plenty of other double free seats :(

Just whisper:

"I usually charge those who get this close. This one's on meeeeee."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Posters on Boards.ie who start their piece with "Jaysus" or Jaysus Christ"

I'm a bit old-school and still have a small bit of luke-warm religion left and the casual use of swear-words for 'effect' just makes me cringe.

It seems to be an Irish thing whereby people feel the need to use a swear or similar to add emphasis to their statement, ie. "We're Irish, we like to swear and curse because we're hard (keyboard) men and it looks cool" and so on.

I use an American music forum and they have software which scrambles any swear-words like the F word or the likes of "Sh1te" etc. A typed swear-word comes up like @?~+*^%

Makes for a much more civilised forum experience overall imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The degree to which I am craving food which is horrendously bad for me is unreal. In the last few days I've really wanted a stack of pancakes with maple syrup, KFC, cookies, another bar of chocolate after I've finished the one I was having with my post-lunch tea, Mini Eggs... if only I could go that mad for broccoli once in a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

tippman1 wrote: »
    Posters on Boards.ie who start their piece with "Jaysus" or Jaysus Christ"

I'm a bit old-school and still have a small bit of luke-warm religion left and the casual use of swear-words for 'effect' just makes me cringe.

It seems to be an Irish thing whereby people feel the need to use a swear or similar to add emphasis to their statement, ie. "We're Irish, we like to swear and curse because we're hard (keyboard) men and it looks cool" and so on.

I use an American music forum and they have software which scrambles any swear-words like the F word or the likes of "Sh1te" etc. A typed swear-word comes up like @?~+*^%

Makes for a much more civilised forum experience overall imho.

This post TA'd me tbh, we're adults, we can swear if we want.
    Swearing is not an Irish trait either, it's a worldwide thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

My daughter lost her 3ds which she only got at Xmas. I was giving out on how much money it cost and she says "don't be worrying about the money, santa got it for me." I was so annoyed I wanted to tell her the truth about santa. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The degree to which I am craving food which is horrendously bad for me is unreal. In the last few days I've really wanted a stack of pancakes with maple syrup, KFC, cookies, another bar of chocolate after I've finished the one I was having with my post-lunch tea, Mini Eggs... if only I could go that mad for broccoli once in a while!

Yeah I know the feeling. I'm craving the chocolates a colleague brought in last week but they're in a cabinet at the other end of the office, a cabinet I've no reason to go into unless I want to look like a greedyguts! I'll have to make do with my clementines....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

People that use the phrase " a bite to eat ".

You're either having a nosebag or you aren't.

kfallon wrote: »
    This post TA'd me tbh, we're adults, we can swear if we want.
    Swearing is not an Irish trait either, it's a worldwide thing.

Buy why do we feel the need? Of course it's worldwide thing, not so much on forums though, as it is in Ireland.

Seems to be almost considered out of order to express any objections to it here if your post is anything to go by.

The most informative, articulate, constructive posters here never seem to feel the need to use swear-words either.

Buy why do we feel the need? Of course it's worldwide thing, not so much on forums though, as it is in Ireland.

Seems to be almost considered out of order to express any objections to it here if your post is anything to go by.

No you're entitled to your opinion of course but I always wonder who decided that swear words were 'bad' words? Insults, racist/sexist slurs etc I can totally agree with as being unaccpetable but who decided that the likes of the 'F' word (I won't type it out so as not to annoy you :p) was a 'bad' word to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Meltin' hoors of cheap knock-off printer cartridges gave my poor old Photosmart C3100 Alzheimer's. Saving money my arse. I put it back on genuine HP and it's happy as a clam again. You couldn't be up to them, so you couldn't. :mad:

kfallon wrote: »
    No you're entitled to your opinion of course but I always wonder who decided that swear words were 'bad' words? Insults, racist/sexist slurs etc I can totally agree with as being unaccpetable but who decided that the likes of the 'F' word (I won't type it out so as not to annoy you :p) was a 'bad' word to say?

Well the F word and the J word are just as offensive to many people as racist or sexist words and to be honest I myself often swear and curse in everyday chat, but I try not to use them when posting because those are words most polite folks won't use in front of children, family members, etc. or even strangers because you can't be certain they won't be offended by such language unless you know them well.

I think most decent people make an effort to watch their language in the presence of clergy, nuns, etc. or indeed any people they might otherwise offend.

Who'd want to be considered offensive or presumptuous that others are as accepting of swearing as the swearer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,163 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well the F word and the J word are just as offensive to many people as racist or sexist words and to be honest I myself often swear and curse in everyday chat, but I try not to use them when posting because those are words most polite folks won't use in front of children, family members, etc. or even strangers because you can't be certain they won't be offended by such language unless you know them well.

I think most decent people make an effort to watch their language in the presence of clergy, nuns, etc. or indeed any people they might otherwise offend.

Who'd want to be considered offensive or presumptuous that others are as accepting of swearing as the swearer?

I too tend not to curse in certain company, but frankly After Hours is hardly a forum full of shrinking violets - so I'm happy in the knowledge that the odd "fook" or the like is perfectly acceptable*

*if not compulsory :D

The bases of your post is relating to the use of such language in everyday life, which you have admitted to doing.

Do you just want to ban it from the internet? (Of all places!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

jimgoose wrote: »
    Meltin' hoors of cheap knock-off printer cartridges

The fact that this post came smack bang in the middle of a debate on cursing made me laugh out loud. Well played jimgoose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I always used to hold in the curses around my parents , even as an adult. Probably thinking I'd still be killed if I cursed, more than anything. Since my Dad died I curse like a sailor. What's even funnier now is my mother in her 70s has taken to it too, not unusual to have her tell me so and so is a bollix! We are a pack of savages:)

Back on topic my TA is craving something that can only be got at Lidl, only to find they don't have it when I get there. Also , the layout of the shop has totally changed. I could have got the bits with my eyes closed before, now I can't find anything :(

maudgonner wrote: »
    The fact that this post came smack bang in the middle of a debate on cursing made me laugh out loud. Well played jimgoose!

You may rely on me and my "Russian Nuclear Icebreaker" school of tact in any social faux-pas situation. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

J word

My curiosity is piqued by this swearword beginning with "J". Call me innocent but I don't know any starting with that letter!! (TA!!)

EDIT:
    Oh, wait. I just remembered a certain scene from the Life of Brian involving a stoning, so it is taking the lord's name in vain....:o

Not-so-trivially annoyed that I didn't twig that at the outset.

Blame lack of chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I'm fairly annoyed. After three days of discomfort I decided to go into the doctor last week. It just burned to piss so I was hoping it would pass. I don't have a medical card anymore. I was working when it came to renewing it and because I was 50c above minimum wage I didn't qualify for one. And then I was let go from my job the day after the deadline closed. Anyway back to the present. So I went to the doctor last week and it cost me 64.95 including the drugs. I got a phonecall earlier from the doctor saying the bacteria in my urine was resistant to the drugs they'd prescribed. So I'd to buy more drugs. I went in to pick up the prescription and it cost 20 quid. Long live the celtic tiger, eh. 20 quid to fill out a prescription. :confused:

tdlr: I've spent 90% of this week's dole on doctors and drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Booked my car in for the NCT for today at 1:30pm.
    Well, what happened was...when I was booking it last week, it said "Confirmed: 1:30am", and I thought "Ah sure that's an error, they're not open at 1:30AM so it must be 1:30PM".

Waded through traffic today, arrived on time and the guy told me it WAS for 1:30am.
    He waived the cancellation fee and I've a rebooking for two weeks time.
    I'm so annoyed.

I never knew the NCT places opened all night!

Aglomerado wrote: »
    My curiosity is piqued by this swearword beginning with "J". Call me innocent but I don't know any starting with that letter!! (TA!!)

Jaysus, janey, janey mack, junt etc.

rosie16 wrote: »
    I'm fairly annoyed. After three days of discomfort I decided to go into the doctor last week. It just burned to piss so I was hoping it would pass. I don't have a medical card anymore. I was working when it came to renewing it and because I was 50c above minimum wage I didn't qualify for one. And then I was let go from my job the day after the deadline closed. Anyway back to the present. So I went to the doctor last week and it cost me 64.95 including the drugs. I got a phonecall earlier from the doctor saying the bacteria in my urine was resistant to the drugs they'd prescribed. So I'd to buy more drugs. I went in to pick up the prescription and it cost 20 quid. Long live the celtic tiger, eh. 20 quid to fill out a prescription. :confused:

tdlr: I've spent 90% of this week's dole on doctors and drugs.

I really wish I'd just read the tl;dr version....... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

KatW4 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is cutting his fingernails in bed, using a Stanley knife and putting them into an empty bottle. Vomit!!!

Is this him??
    pic didn't load before (hope it does now)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

selous wrote: »
    Is this him??
    pic didn't load before (hope it does now)

More like Frank from It's Always Sunny with his toe knife.

http://i.imgur.com/KvUfUDs.png

fussyonion wrote: »
    Booked my car in for the NCT for today at 1:30pm.
    Well, what happened was...when I was booking it last week, it said "Confirmed: 1:30am", and I thought "Ah sure that's an error, they're not open at 1:30AM so it must be 1:30PM".

Waded through traffic today, arrived on time and the guy told me it WAS for 1:30am.
    He waived the cancellation fee and I've a rebooking for two weeks time.
    I'm so annoyed.

I never knew the NCT places opened all night!

I done my Sisters car in November booked it for 2am in Deansgrange, there was a space within a week it, P.M ones were weeks away, the place was packed at that time too, do people not sleep, also had a confused guy that had a 2.30am appointment for the next day, (obviously doesn't do "early" much)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I accompanied my mother to a private eye clinic today and while she was in the consultant's room, I sat outside in the REALLY quiet waiting area.

You know the type; low classical music, soft carpets so you hear no footsteps and just a dead silence.

A woman arrived with her son, who I'd say was about four.
    Well he was a little horror.

He ran over to the corner right beside me and pulled out all the toys and threw them everywhere, screeching and yelping with delight.
    I wouldn't mind but I was sitting RIGHT beside him.
    He then proceeded to play with bricks ON MY FEET.

His mother smiled at me and I smiled tightly back at her.
    The little brat then crawled under my chair and only came out when the mother told him to.

He then flung a toy phone across the room, narrowly missing the receptionist and proceeded to scream and shout.

I was sitting there fuming and vowed that if the little brat played bricks on my feet again, I was not going to be held responsible for my actions.

Luckily my mother came out of the room before I lost my rag and we were able to leave.

I know kids will be kids but brats will also be brats and it's mothers like that who don't seem to have any control over their kids OR allow them to misbehave and don't see anything wrong with it, that annoy me.

I'm sorry Fussy but I was very disappointed with your post.
    I had read "I took my mother to a private eye appointment..." and thought "Bloody hell, this will be juicy, wonder who Fussy's Mam is spying on"

Then read the rest.
    Note to self....read the whole thing before jumping to conclusions :D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just heard a massive big crash bang and wallop from the sitting room.
    The boy is playing the Wii and the controller went flying across the room. Apparently it just missed the TV.
    I've tell him all the time to put the wrist strap thing on, I bet he's taken it off already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I cant got into the headings on Boards(Topics,Regional ect) but more importantly I cant view PMs even though I see the notification..in case anyone is wondering. TA trying to word this right.....:pac:

Colser wrote: »
    I cant got into the headings on Boards(Topics,Regional ect) but more importantly I cant view PMs even though I see the notification..in case anyone is wondering. TA trying to word this right.....:pac:

Ffs I thought you were ignoring me :mad:

:P

TA'd that I actually have to work so I can't post in my beloved TA thread :(

Whats worse and really T.A is when you write a big P.M and press submit, PLEASE LOG IN pops up and the f..lippin message is GONE and not in the sent way gone,

• Advertisement

That is just an excuse :(:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm sorry Fussy but I was very disappointed with your post.
    I had read "I took my mother to a private eye appointment..." and thought "Bloody hell, this will be juicy, wonder who Fussy's Mam is spying on"

Then read the rest.
    Note to self....read the whole thing before jumping to conclusions :D:D

:pac::pac: Hahaha that's great! Funny thing is, my Mam is nosey too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

:pac::pac: Hahaha that's great! Funny thing is, my Mam is nosey too!

I have to say, it made me laugh. I genuinely thought it was going to be about a private investigator :o
    It could have been that since "the great outage of 2015" I am only catching up on my fav threads, so was reading a bit quickish and, as I said, jumped to a juicy conclusion.

My TA is just my generally lack of enthusiasm and ZERO get up and go lately :(
    Its pretty bad when YOU are actually annoying YOU :o

Medusa22 wrote: »
    That is just an excuse :(:p
    Dont you trivialize my annoyances:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

TA'd that every single thing I did today was wrong in one way or another. As a result I'm still logged on to the work laptop despite not taking a lunch and starting early.

I don't know how I caught stupid, but I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Maybe my taste buds are dulling with age.
    Or maybe Pringles have changed their formula.

But I dont get the yummy taste from the Sour Cream and Onion Pringles anymore....and that makes me sad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

But I dont get the yummy taste from the Sour Cream and Onion Pringles anymore....and that makes me sad!

Menas wrote: »

Youre right ,theyre just not as tasty at all.I used to always lick the coating off before I ate them but Im not getting the same taste from them so Ive changed to the cheese and onion ones..try them and report back.:pac:

Youre right ,theyre just not as tasty at all.I used to always lick the coating off before I ate them but Im not getting the same taste from them so Ive changed to the cheese and onion ones..try them and report back.:pac:

An off-license once attempted to charge me €7 for a tube of Pringles. Obviously I said you're 'avin' a fackin' (sorry, Tippman! :D) girrawrfe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm trying to eat healthy and lose weight, and have been carefully counting the calories for the last 2 weeks or so. I have not even lost a kilo yet. :( so hungry though, and all this talk about pringles isn't helping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

miezekatze wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat healthy and lose weight, and have been carefully counting the calories for the last 2 weeks or so. I have not even lost a kilo yet. :( so hungry though, and all this talk about pringles isn't helping!

Drink water??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement