Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 8191.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Graces7 wrote: »
    WIsh I had the energy to help you...MUST get out of bed and light the range.. my breath is steaming the air... OK. on three GET OUT OF BED!!!!! I will if you will

Good woman Grace..Im getting up,quick coffee and attacking the messy bedroom right now.:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I had the Australian open tennis final set to record from 8am. Plan to get up around 9.30, head downstairs and watch. By forwarding through ads I'd catch up to it live. Grand job, did that the last few mornings.
    So I went for a few drinks last night with a few friends, got talking to a lad I knew from school at the bar. He's a decent lad, good job, settled down.
    So after 5 mins of chat or so, I said I was heading home early because I wanted to be up to watch the tennis in the morning.
    Conversation goes like this......
    [EDIT]
    How can someone of 33 years of age not know that it can be a different time in a country on the other side of the world?

Maybe by the time you got talking to him he had already had more than 'a few'... Or he was very good at winding you up. At least, I hope so... :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

not even slightly in the mood to entertain guests today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Robsweezie wrote: »
    not even slightly in the mood to entertain guests today.

And as a fellow introvert Rob, I can safely say I have no guests to entertain today. ;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Cinema gobsh1tes! You are not sitting at home on your couch watching a film in your underpants. You are in a public screening surrounded by people who have paid good money to enjoy a great film. You're supposed to be somewhat respectful. Talking to the screen and laughing like a jackass at every hint of a joke (and it wasn't even a comedy) might be acceptable at home but if you do it in the cinema people may want to strangle you. And his laugh was weird - sort of a hooting donkey noise followed by five or six creepy sounding moans.

Oh! And when we got back to the car my OH had to pull out of the space to let me in because the driver beside us had parked so bloody close that they would have had to climb out the passenger door to get out. Gobsh1te. It was a good night though :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Colser wrote: »
    Good woman Grace..Im getting up,quick coffee and attacking the messy bedroom right now.:pac:

Well, wish I hadnt.. the range is in a mood and then I needed to print some letters and for some reason the ink flow will not flow.. tried 2 different cartridge and no "no ink" signal. The colour is working and I get the test page through then almost no print in black... could it be that the ink i too cold to print? It is a new printer but would feel a toal fool taking it back if it is cold. Left the printer switched in, and will change the print to a colour next! Blue is coming on fine on my email address! BUT ONE MORE THING GOES WRONG TODAY AND I WILL,,,,,overloaded the range and now it iwll not burn and I am too unwell and tired now. dratted weather too! AAAAAAAARGH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Please don't do that! Dangerous. I drive with headlights on full when there is no one ahead and slow right down when someone comes up behind me on full, Often they just do not think to dim.

I'll teach every ignorant person to learn the difference between dip and dazzle, by giving them an annoying blast of dazzle after they overtake me. The only time I won't do that is when there are other cars in front of me or on the opposite side of the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

KatW4 wrote: »
    It's 21:51 on a Saturday night and I'm in bed and ready to sleep. I got the most beautiful pair of boot heels today and all I want to do is go out and wear them out but I'm not getting paid for another month. I'm old and boring :(
    Ah just put them on in bed sure!

Duurrrty! :cool::rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Telling a recruitment agency that you are not interested in a job and they come back all offended like!

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I'll teach every ignorant person to learn the difference between dip and dazzle, by giving them an annoying blast of dazzle after they overtake me. The only time I won't do that is when there are other cars in front of me or on the opposite side of the motorway

Then, really, you are as bad as they are, maybe worse, as probably they had just forgotten they were on full beam.. as I have done occasionally. then been grateful and apologetic when they have flashed me..Road rage? That is how it begins! The day I never make an error is the day I attack someone else and that has not happened in over 50 years driving. NB I might well swear but that is private!

Then, really, you are as bad as they are, maybe worse, as probably they had just forgotten they were on full beam.. as I have done occasionally. then been grateful and apologetic when they have flashed me..Road rage? That is how it begins! The day I never make an error is the day I attack someone else and that has not happened in over 50 years driving. NB I might well swear but that is private!

Well I just think that the dazzling on motorways is a bad habit that a lot of drivers have gotten into, because they think that they are not a problem, when the median of the motorway is protected by concrete slabs. I will dazzle back when dazzled. The usual reaction is that the car on the other side dips immediately, in fairness

Well I just think that the dazzling on motorways is a bad habit that a lot of drivers have gotten into, because they think that they are not a problem, when the median of the motorway is protected by concrete slabs. I will dazzle back when dazzled. The usual reaction is that the car on the other side dips immediately, in fairness

Your ways are not my ways but then your roads are not my roads,,, NB we have an illegal EAVESDROPPER! Chances are we will never cross paths and cities and motorways are aggressive fast places I stay well away from .. but would never use my headlights or my driving as an aggression; don't see the need or have the desire....

well today has been one long ta and I am glad to say tata to it. Range lit but the westerly wind makes it smoke... given up on the printer... had a comforting feed of treacle sponge pudding and custard and am planning to close down for what promises to be another noisy night... have a grand and pleasant whatver your plans are. with no annoyances of any kind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I thankfully do very little night driving nowadays but blinding headlights were a major TA for me when I traveled more. In honesty, I gave as good as I got until they dipped their lights. The headlights on my car gave many of them a taste of their own medicine. I know people forget to dip but when a quick flash of the headlights doesn't wake them up you sometimes have no choice but teach them a lesson.

I thankfully do very little night driving nowadays but blinding headlights were a major TA for me when I traveled more. In honesty, I gave as good as I got until they dipped their lights. The headlights on my car gave many of them a taste of their own medicine. I know people forget to dip but when a quick flash of the headlights doesn't wake them up you sometimes have no choice but teach them a lesson.

In most cases, it's not forgetfulness. It's pure bog ignorance. They don't think that they are an irritation, because there is a protection from the cars going in the other direction, in the event of the oncoming driver being blinded. Not sure which is worse, the dazzler in the opposite direction, or the dazzler behind you....

• Advertisement

Actually the dazzler behind you is worse, because you can be stuck with them for miles....however I usually slow down, to let them get ahead of me, so I can blind them for a few miles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In most cases, it's not forgetfulness. It's pure bog ignorance. They don't think that they are an irritation, because there is a protection from the cars going in the other direction, in the event of the oncoming driver being blinded. Not sure which is worse, the dazzler in the opposite direction, or the dazzler behind you....

Oh those behind are the worst by far because they are free from any retaliation other than slowing down.

Edit; Snap. :)

TA today at the bickering over whether Terry Wogan was British or Irish. Who cares? He was, for decades, a great entertainer and a friend of mine. We only met in person twice but corresponded many times. Why can't people appreciate others for what they are/were rather than play oneupmanship like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

From being in the car with my mother I'd disagree, she genuinely forgets, and when I shout lights at her she gets all flustered and forgets which side the light controls are on. I'd hate to think what she's like with no one else in the car!

TA'd that because I was lazy on Friday I'm now working as I've to send something out first thing on Monday and I've done no work on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I never watched How I Met Your Mother when it was on tv but I started to watch it on Netflix with my boyfriend. We've literally binge watched it from the very beginning. Turns out that season 9 is not on Netflix :O this has just ruined an already **** Sunday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Balls of a weekend. Started off on Fri when my youngest child was diagnosed with a learning disorder. Hungover on Sat. And now an Uncle has died today (not Terry!).
    Roll on work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sky Sports News for 2 reasons.

1) the absolute hype they try to build up for the end of the transfer window. The days of massive spends are long past in the premier league, so they start a rumour, stick some pleb outside one of the stadia and people deny it; so then the headline is "blah club deny rumours of X joining"

2) reading inane tweets out from footballers after a match. If I was f**king interested in what they had to say, I'd follow them on twitter ffs

I got a new phone 2 weeks ago and only used it for calls and texts,I didnt connect it to anything else (Im not a phone person at all),anyway this morning it displayed the weather with my location on the front screen.This is annoying me all day and Im trying to figure out how it could even happen when I barely even use it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

During the 'outage' I had composed a whole rant about headlights but couldn't post, now the subject has come up I've nothing to add as I got it all out of my system last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

TA'd that I can't talk to people on the phone, its like my mind goes blank, the usual pleasantries, then the reason for calling and then I can't think of anything. Doesn't help half of them run out of things to say too. I want to talk but once I've said what I wanted and listened to them thats it (also many of them don't watch much recent shows or read the same kind of books) annoying also as I was looking forward to talking to them. Them for some reason I can't shut up in person just why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Loud pissing. When you can hear every drop hit the water.

I feel sickly from greasy onion rings I had earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Loud pissing. When you can hear every drop hit the water.

I feel sickly from greasy onion rings I had earlier.

Hearing someone else loud pissing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm really hungry... But there's no "now" food. Like none. Nadda. Zippity.
    And I can't cook. I won't cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I was in Longford on Saturday. I was on my way to tesco when all of a sudden there was 2 squad cars flying down. I looked up and there was a fire in one of the flats on the second floor. There was a crowd of people at this stage looking up at the smoke coming out of the window. What annoyed me, was the p***k that was holding his phone and videoing everything (while smiling). It was a bit of excitement for him. I just thought. Is this what we have become?. I hope not. So that is my rant. My apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I was in Longford on Saturday. I was on my way to tesco when all of a sudden there was 2 squad cars flying down. I looked up and there was a fire in one of the flats on the second floor. There was a crowd of people at this stage looking up at the smoke coming out of the window. What annoyed me, was the p***k that was holding his phone and videoing everything (while smiling). It was a bit of excitement for him. I just thought. Is this what we have become?. I hope not. So that is my rant. My apologies.

Should have taking out your phone and videoed him videoing it smiling shit maybe he started it.

• Advertisement

Please do not apologise for caring! EVER! Reminds me though of the fairly recent time in Limerick when a young woman saw a man about to jump off the bridge and grabbed his legs and hung on. Car stopped to film but no one came to help her. I have always waded in when I see anyone in trouble.. shameful people. Thank you for caring and having decent standards....

TA that my big cat ( around two stone and long haired) listened to the gale and opted to pee indoors. There are trays but saw he had slightly chosen near the tray and not quite in it. " Pee me a river" time..with sound effects!! But then I set to, changed the tray, mopped up, sprayed bleach and did some tidying so really he did me a favour.. As for the disaster that yesterday was... just before settling I outwitted the printer which refuses to print black, by altering the colour to dark blue and printed all my letters.. as for car and washing machine troubles? We have a lovely sentence. " Having done all, to stand".. Letters and emails are out and literally nothing more I can do. Thus I have decided that TA is fine but that how you deal with the TA is what counts. I am though TA at not being able to go out today as we are storm bound as I was so looking forward to a chicken and stuffing sandwich from Dealz, They are are only E1.49 as opposed to nearly E3 in Tesco.. Of course I could make my own but having something ready made is such a treat when you are on your own.. TOMORROW! Takes little to delight me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

people used to take their kids to watch people being hung or have rocks thrown at them until they die. we haven't 'become' anything.

strelok wrote: »
    people used to take their kids to watch people being hung or have rocks thrown at them until they die. we haven't 'become' anything.

That is different. Those were legal punishments and a deterrent to crime and there wa no TV, no cinema, no internet.. Still wrong also so we have not progressed. Which is what worries. I know someone who worked overseas as a charityworker. One day he and his colleagues were in a village and were pushed to the front of a crowd and a man was beheaded right in front of him, Poor man had a breakdown. When it is punishment sanctioned by law there is nothing we can do but to see a girl hanging on to a man;s legs to save him and film it is totally sick, I would have gone to help her. NO hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I washed my car last week, but now the windows seem dirtier than they did before I washed them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Training course today......great! :rolleyes:

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I washed my car last week, but now the windows seem dirtier than they did before I washed them!!
    The weather is making it near impossible to keep the car clean at the moment,mine got the full treatment over the weekend and is immaculate but I know that wont last long (Id nearly walk to work today rather than dirty the car). Also I NEVER use a cloth on the windows,would rather sit for 5 mins to let them clear and NO ONE is allowed put a hand on the glass ,any kids in my car know better then to draw anything on the glass if it fogs up.:o My mother has a fierce habit of rubbing the glass with her hand and it sends me into overdrive,Id swear at this stage that she does it just to p me off. Im OTT I know but then Im way more relaxed about the house (which probably isnt a good thing either).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

The weather is making it near impossible to keep the car clean at the moment,mine got the full treatment over the weekend and is immaculate but I know that wont last long

I had mine spotless for its Nct, it was so shiney it was blinding, and even the scratched bits were clean! It had to go an hour down the road to the Nct centre and it was destroyed by the time it got there. Hate the weather at the mo!

Stolen sausages! I cooked three to enjoy later then when I went down stairs there was only one left on the plate... I still keep forgetting that new adolescent rescue cat is a counter surfer and an unrepentant opportunistic thief! he is lovely though! mea culpa and at least he left me one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A trivial annoyance that I've had for years is relating to people getting other people's names wrong, or rather, not bothering to find out what their proper names are.

I used to deal with somebody called Adrian who have a slightly more unusual surname (so I won't mention it here). Everyone else used to call him Aidan, and his surname a similar but more common name. They'd always get both names wrong. Aaarrgghhh!!

There are a good few Polish people working here so I always try to pronounce their names correctly, and at least know their full names. A few minutes ago, my manager asked me if I could tell him Kamil's surname. I told him, and he burst out laughing.

"How do you spell that?" he asked, so I told him as he chuckled away in the background. He'd probably think that it was equally amusing that I'd know it (and the others' names too).

The girl I work with isn't great at names either. There's a company called Radionics that I'm sure a lot of AHers might have heard of. The girl that I work with always pronounces the name 'Radio-onics'. The first few times it sounded a bit cute. After 4 years, not so much.

Our purchasing department is in India, and she assigns genders to the people we deal with based on nothing. If I don't know an Indian name I'd look it up, just to have the correct image in my head, although I'd usually know. She might say "Deepak is looking for information about such-and-such. What will I tell her?" "Tell him this..."

The thing is...people probably don't know how annoying this is for me because I'm a fairly placid, laid-back person, and the only time I'd ever mention these things is in a jokey, humorous way.

(I bet ye will think I'm the one with the problem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

kfallon wrote: »
    Training course today......great! :rolleyes:

Get my guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The girl I work with isn't great at names either. There's a company called Radionics that I'm sure a lot of AHers might have heard of. The girl that I work with always pronounces the name 'Radio-onics'. The first few times it sounded a bit cute. After 4 years, not so much.

That reminded me, it really annoys me when people pronounce the "Fine" in Fine Gael as if it rhymes with wine.

It's always down in a sneering way, showing their contempt for them by deliberately mispronouncing the name. And they always think they're so clever, as if they're the first person ever to do this.

Well however much they may think Enda's mob are twats, it's nothing to their own twattitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

A trivial annoyance that I've had for years is relating to people getting other people's names wrong, or rather, not bothering to find out what their proper names are.

I used to deal with somebody called Adrian who have a slightly more unusual surname (so I won't mention it here). Everyone else used to call him Aidan, and his surname a similar but more common name. They'd always get both names wrong. Aaarrgghhh!!

There are a good few Polish people working here so I always try to pronounce their names correctly, and at least know their full names. A few minutes ago, my manager asked me if I could tell him Kamil's surname. I told him, and he burst out laughing.

"How do you spell that?" he asked, so I told him as he chuckled away in the background. He'd probably think that it was equally amusing that I'd know it (and the others' names too).

Our purchasing department is in India, and she assigns genders to the people we deal with based on nothing. If I don't know an Indian name I'd look it up, just to have the correct image in my head, although I'd usually know. She might say "Deepak is looking for information about such-and-such. What will I tell her?" "Tell him this..."

The thing is...people probably don't know how annoying this is for me because I'm a fairly placid, laid-back person, and the only time I'd ever mention these things is in a jokey, humorous way.

(I bet ye will think I'm the one with the problem!)

I totally agree with you, I think it is the height of ignorance and it really gets on my nerves. It takes very little effort to just get someones name right, I don't have an unusual name, it wouldn't be that common but not unusual, anyways I have lost count of the amount of times I have been called everything apart from my own name... i'm always called a very close derivative of my name aswell which annoys me even more... and i've lost count of the amount of different variations and spellings I get on a starbucks cup... arrgh!!!!
    anyways to sum up just make the effort, get peoples names right peoples!!!

ok feel better now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Book writers on Amazon who "get" "glowing reviews" of their books posted up on the page where it can be bought. This "review" has no criticism at all in it, and the source often goes by the name "Amazon Customer" with no other details. It's also turning Amazon into Trip Advisor in this fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Totally agree with this. It's just ignorance and laziness to not bother learning people's names.

My name is Finbarr but I prefer people to call me "Fin". Most people call me this but it always surprises me the amount of people who send me a text and write an email with "Hi Finn". I just don't know where they're getting this extra n from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Please do not apologise for caring! EVER! Reminds me though of the fairly recent time in Limerick when a young woman saw a man about to jump off the bridge and grabbed his legs and hung on. Car stopped to film but no one came to help her. I have always waded in when I see anyone in trouble.. shameful people. Thank you for caring and having decent standards....

Seriously? A young girl was able to hold a mans legs while was over the bridge? And nobody came to her assistance?njust to film? Was this in paper or did you actually witness it?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Seriously? A young girl was able to hold a mans legs while was over the bridge? And nobody came to her assistance?njust to film? Was this in paper or did you actually witness it?

It was on breaking news the day it happened; Limerick. And yes she hung on and talked him down and rang for help. She was very outspoken. She saved his life. What shocked me was learning that there is a patrol boat in Limerick whose sole job is to watch for suicides on the bridges. You can probably google it? he got help afterwards.. am on the way to closing down here and the roof is shaking else i would look it up for you.! Had I been there I would have done the same. It is actually very possible to get someone through that terrible impulse and into safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

It was on breaking news the day it happened; Limerick. And yes she hung on and talked him down and rang for help. She was very outspoken. She saved his life. What shocked me was learning that there is a patrol boat in Limerick whose sole job is to watch for suicides on the bridges. You can probably google it? he got help afterwards.. am on the way to closing down here and the roof is shaking else i would look it up for you.! Had I been there I would have done the same. It is actually very possible to get someone through that terrible impulse and into safety.

I don't doubt she saved him, but am very surprised that she was the only one to help, and others filmed it. There are volunteers who patrol the river in Limerick by night..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

People who don't know the rules of the road regarding roundabouts.

Taking the last exit? By all means coast around on the outside and please feel free to cut across me halfway around to shorten your trip! And please don't subject yourself to the inconvenience of using an indicator :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

The weather is making it near impossible to keep the car clean at the moment,mine got the full treatment over the weekend and is immaculate but I know that wont last long (Id nearly walk to work today rather than dirty the car). Also I NEVER use a cloth on the windows,would rather sit for 5 mins to let them clear and NO ONE is allowed put a hand on the glass ,any kids in my car know better then to draw anything on the glass if it fogs up.:o My mother has a fierce habit of rubbing the glass with her hand and it sends me into overdrive,Id swear at this stage that she does it just to p me off. Im OTT I know but then Im way more relaxed about the house (which probably isnt a good thing either).:pac:

Phew, it's not just me, Fan on to clear the windscreen, if they lift the back of the hand to attempt to smear it, i'll lift my hand too, and not for the window :mad:
    People with rings are the worst scratch n smear..
    There's a microfiber cloth there if you really must, but.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement