Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 8191.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I don't doubt she saved him, but am very surprised that she was the only one to help, and others filmed it. There are volunteers who patrol the river in Limerick by night..

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cars-stopped-but-no-one-was-helping-me-says-limerick-woman-who-saved-man-from-suicide-686263.html

13/07/2015

A young woman who talked a man down from a bridge after he threatened to kill himself in the River Shannon has called for greater awareness surrounding suicide and depression.

Shauna O'Riordan, 19, said she was "absolutely shocked" when no one came to her aid as she clung to the man's legs after he clambered up on Shannon Bridge, in Limerick.

he man was about to jump, as rush-hour traffic whizzed by, but even though motorists stopped to watch, Shauna said nobody got out of their vehicle to help.
    "I was holding his legs, so I was thinking: 'If I let you go, how could I ever get over that because there and then, your life is in my hands'," she said.

"Everything happened so fast. I grabbed onto him for dear life, (and) told him one million reasons not to jump in. He was screaming at me."

"I grabbed his face there and then and I said: 'You look at me - there's people who love you and you will get help'," she added.

Shauna said she was "crying for hours afterwards" after people ignored her while she tried to save the man.

"No one was helping me, and the traffic was stopped and there was people passing me," Shauna explained.
    "I was shocked."

"There was a circle forming and I was thinking people are obviously going to look, but no one was going to help me, there was no one going to get out of their car and I was thinking why?"

"People could have thought we were a couple fighting but there was still someone up on the bridge. It was two o'clock in the day. I remember just holding his legs and just looking behind me and saying: "is their no one (coming)...seriously".

The part-time shop worker said she hoped her story would raise more awareness of people battling with their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Had a kebab and it was poxy. Chicken was like rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm a nail biter, I'm trying to grow my nails at the moment. Today I forgot and bit one down quite low, so now I've to cut them all and start again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

My back is sore for some reason, I can't bend over (yeah, I know, make your jokes :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Medusa22 wrote: »
    My back is sore for some reason, I can't bend over (yeah, I know, make your jokes :p)

A sore back is a great excuse to get your OH to give you a massage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Menas wrote: »
    A sore back is a great excuse to get your OH to give you a massage!

I'm sure she would have others interested if he isn't;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Look how mature we are getting..no one jumping on the kebab-wagon:(:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Colser wrote: »
    Look how mature we are getting..no one jumping on the kebab-wagon:(:pac:

Speak for yourself, I still have the mental age of a 12 year old.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

kfallon wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I still have the mental age of a 12 year old.....
    Me too but I didnt want to be the one lowering the tone this time,serious issues such as back pain are being discussed:P

@Medusa ,try bio-freeze if the massage doesnt work.:)

Difene spray is like magic for sore muscles, backache etc but unfortunately it's prescription only :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Tiger do a great and inexpensive alternative to Tiger Balm called China Balm.
    It's about €3 or €4 for a little pot, smells surprisingly nice for a topical salve and is great for soothing weary bones. Not sure where you're located but you can get it in the Tiger in the Pavillions at least. :)

Back on topic:
    I was randomly browsing in Gamestop today and whilst I don't own any next-generation consoles (seriously, last console I bought was a secondhand Super Nintendo FFS!), I was shocked-SHOCKED, I SAY!- at the prices of some of them! €75 for a brand new copy of the Mad Max PS4 game.
    Daylight robbery! And the worst thing is: If the game turns out to be crap, you can only return it for store credit which is usually far less than what you paid for the game initially. No wonder I avoid the kip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Looking at the Indo newspaper online, and next thing I get lifted out of it by a video starting up, advertising courses in UCD !

My 9mth old nephew destroyed about 3 sheets, pissed on two then shat on the other one, he had managed to shiit up his back as well, I didn't have to clean it up but TA for whoever did.

I have a spot just above my lip, tried applying some prescription acne solvent to kill the bacteria and shrink it, the solvent dripped down onto my lip and in my mouth. Horrible taste, like how you'd imagine poison.

Colser wrote:
    Look how mature we are getting..no one jumping on the kebab-wagon

A dry kebab is a friend to no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't doubt she saved him, but am very surprised that she was the only one to help, and others filmed it. There are volunteers who patrol the river in Limerick by night..

Here is one of the reports.. the filming was mentioned elsewhere....the buzzword in the UK was " we do not want to get involved" Talking to family in Canada and apparently quite "normal" there for folk to watch and film..http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cars-stopped-but-no-one-was-helping-me-says-limerick-woman-who-saved-man-from-suicide-686263.html

Having an "old lady " day.. every bone is aching and getting out of bed was an act of sheer and utter heroism . Strong sweet coffee and brufen have helped a little but am heading out to shop and it will mar my pleasure.. POOR OLD THING!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Graces7 wrote: »
    Having an "old lady " day.. every bone is aching and getting out of bed was an act of sheer and utter heroism . Strong sweet coffee and brufen have helped a little but am heading out to shop and it will mar my pleasure.. POOR OLD THING!! :D

I always imagine Chariots of Fire are playing while I'm rolling out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Thanks for the replies everyone, ye are so good :D

No massage but my OH put one of those bean bag things in the microwave for me, it felt so good, I love that woman :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Looking at the Indo newspaper online, and next thing I get lifted out of it by a video starting up, advertising courses in UCD !
    I think I'd avoid doing any courses in UCD so. Plus, there are some other reputable universities to choose from, for online and classroom courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Here is one of the reports.. the filming was mentioned elsewhere....the buzzword in the UK was " we do not want to get involved" Talking to family in Canada and apparently quite "normal" there for folk to watch and film..http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cars-stopped-but-no-one-was-helping-me-says-limerick-woman-who-saved-man-from-suicide-686263.html

Ok thanks. I am still surprised only one person helped while others stood by and watched/filmed.

Ok thanks. I am still surprised only one person helped while others stood by and watched/filmed.

It's all about the YouTube views, FB likes and Twitter retweets these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

Trivially annoyed that I bought a new lipstick and somehow managed to smash it to pieces unbeknownst to me... before I got the chance to wear it :(

Tom_Barry wrote: »
    Trivially annoyed that I bought a new lipstick and somehow managed to smash it to pieces unbeknownst to me... before I got the chance to wear it :(

*Looks at username*
    *reads post*
    *gets confused*
    :p

Tho fair play to Tom Barry he shot up a load of Black n' Tans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

*Looks at username*
    *reads post*
    *gets confused*

Haha I shoulda chose Thomalina Barry but it sounded stupid so I stuck with the male one. He was a hero alright !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

*Looks at username*
    *reads post*
    *gets confused*

And then criticised their mismatched fashions :pac:

• Advertisement

Tom_Barry wrote: »
    Haha I shoulda chose Thomalina Barry but it sounded stupid so I stuck with the male one. He was a hero alright !!

He most certainly was!
    Glad we cleared that up tho, I was starting to get flashbacks to The Crying Game..... :P

maudgonner wrote: »
    And then criticised their mismatched fashions :pac:

The Gok Wan of The War of Independence :p

TA'd that the sun is out but it's still freezing, suppose it's better than rain!
    Looks like I'll need gloves, hat and baselayer for football later on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Irish people saying "candy" instead of "sweets". :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Buying 2 big bottles of flavoured water and picking up one that has sugar added, along with the no added sugar one I always buy. They have different coloured lids , and still I did it :(
    I needed a bag of marshmallows, and none of Tesco own brand on shelf , so ended up paying over double the price for another bag.
    Bags of grapefruit/ lemons, when all you want is one of each. Shopping raises my blood pressure :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Irish people saying "candy" instead of "sweets". :mad:

If you ever go to Australia, wait for the headf*ck that is 'lollies'.

There is a massive situation with a customer at the moment. We have a guy liaising between all parties involved in this situation.
    He's a bit of an idiot and not able to handle it. He has decided to start blaming ME for his c*ck up. ME!!!!
    I'm the one who's been dragged into this to sort out his mess and he is just trying to shift to me.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There is a massive situation with a customer at the moment. We have a guy liaising between all parties involved in this situation.
    He's a bit of an idiot and not able to handle it. He has decided to start blaming ME for his c*ck up. ME!!!!
    I'm the one who's been dragged into this to sort out his mess and he is just trying to shift to me.

He will probably shaft you as well:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He will probably shaft you as well:)
    Is that prison talk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Boom_Bap wrote: »

What did you f up now?

wally79 wrote: »
    What did you f up now?
    The champagne delivery

For your kindness, thanks.. On the way to Killarney I had one of those moments of revelation...I have M.E and it bring food sensitivities that create chaos. I have been eating eg easy peelers since before Christmas.. suddenly remembered that fruit has always been a trigger with me for greater illness. HOPING that stopping now will see improvement. Easy to forget when the shop are full of Christmas goodies, so back to my " unhealthy " diet here! The remaining citrus will make marmalade to sell..Cake here I come!

far beyond TA but I am SO UPSET. http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/severed-deer-heads-discovered-in-killarney/ I just came home through the National Park and there were at least three Ranger vehicles in evidence which is very unusual so i wondered then. Beautiful , gentle creatures and there have been concerns before re the way the cull is conducted. Someone said to me that the deer are dangerous; I said no WE are dangerous. God help anyone I see at them...

Why do shops neglect to water their plant stock? Not rocket science... Told three supermarkets off today.. poor plants as dry as the desert. The girl in Dealz said," Oh well they will reduce them." Them being shrivelled primulas beyond hope, I even offered to water them myself NOTE, take a bottle of water in with you! The other shops were Aldi and Tesco. ... grrrrr!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why do shops neglect to water their plant stock? Not rocket science... Told three supermarkets off today.. poor plants as dry as the desert. The girl in Dealz said," Oh well they will reduce them." Them being shrivelled primulas beyond hope, I even offered to water them myself NOTE, take a bottle of water in with you! The other shops were Aldi and Tesco. ... grrrrr!!!

I completely agree, you can almost hear them screaming for water, it's very sad... :(:( I lost track of how many times my water bottle has been used to give plants in a shop a fighting chance...

New Home wrote: »
    I completely agree, you can almost hear them screaming for water, it's very sad... :(:( I lost track of how many times my water bottle has been used to give plants in a shop a fighting chance...

Good for you! Yes they scream! Actually treated myself to a bowl of hyacinths in Aldi and dry as a desert bone. They were a lot cheaper than the bowl in Dunnes I was yearning to get! Not out yet but now they are watered and happy.. off to bed; nauseated re the deer literally and need a good weep for them.. feel very sick too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just got a notification from UPS that my package of Absinthe was destroyed at Shannon as package contained alcohol, I don't get it, I know I paid for alcohol and bought it online, do you need a bleedin licence to ship it for personal consumption. Feck it now I'll have to go to the Celtic Whiskey Store. :(

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Just got a notification from UPS that my package of Absinthe was destroyed at Shannon as package contained alcohol, I don't get it, I know I paid for alcohol and bought it online, do you need a bleedin licence to ship it for personal consumption. Feck it now I'll have to go to the Celtic Whiskey Store. :(

I didn't think there was any problem importing alcohol to Ireland as long as you were prepared to pay the duties, vat etc. Did UPS not contact you prior to destroy ?

What's the country of origin? The shipper would (or should) have been advised by UPS of any restrictions on the import of a particular product prior to shipping. I wonder was it just broken in transit and the above is a story.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I bought it from an online store called Classic Spirits who are based in Barcelona, like it 70 vol Mari Mayan's Absinthe Vert but you can buy absinthe in the Celtic Whiskey Store but its silly money. I phoned UPS and all the guy could say was that it was destroyed so now I've sent an email to Classic Spirits.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I bought it from an online store called Classic Spirits who are based in Barcelona, like it 70 vol Mari Mayan's Absinthe Vert but you can buy absinthe in the Celtic Whiskey Store but its silly money. I phoned UPS and all the guy could say was that it was destroyed so now I've sent an email to Classic Spirits.

I would chase that up. Ask on whose authority was it destroyed? The name of the customs officer who made the call on it, and phone customs in Shannon and speak to him/her. I am fairly sure proof of destruction is recorded. Ask your shipper if they have exportedb absinthe to Ireland in the past and what, if any, problems they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Now you have another use for your "newly acquired toy", unless you broke it,, new batteries highest power setting and put it on your sore back muscle.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Go to public toilet, do me business, wash hands, go to dry hands, soap reappears all over hands, assum I didn't rinse them enough, so go back and rinse hands again thoroughly, go back to dry hands, soap reappears out of nowhere again. Gave up after three attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

http://www.allthingsabsinthe.com/absinthelaw.html

Someone dank it (methinks)not destroyed it, or didn't remember the law being changed.

Or UPS U.K site.

https://www.ups.com/content/gb/en/about/news/service_updates/06092009_alcoholuk.html

I didn't think there was any problem importing alcohol to Ireland as long as you were prepared to pay the duties, vat etc. Did UPS not contact you prior to destroy ?

What's the country of origin? The shipper would (or should) have been advised by UPS of any restrictions on the import of a particular product prior to shipping. I wonder was it just broken in transit and the above is a story.....

I think he/she might just narrowly have fallen foul of UPS's rules. From their website:
    Accepted goods- All alcohol with less than 70% by volume alcohol content and stored in bottles or other containers with a capacity of 5 litres or less.
    The shipper should really have been aware of this though, I'd certainly be looking for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I need to reign in the online shopping. En route at the moment I have three watches, a kitchen tap, a soldering iron and solder, some cushions and a rake of plumbing stuff (pipes and the like).
    The neighbours are getting sick of 'holding' packages for me.

Menas wrote: »
    I need to reign in the online shopping. En route at the moment I have three watches, a kitchen tap, a soldering iron and solder, some cushions and a rake of plumbing stuff (pipes and the like).
    The neighbours are getting sick of 'holding' packages for me.

Three watches? Sure you only have two arms! (Presumably)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

maudgonner wrote: »
    Three watches? Sure you only have two arms! (Presumably)

He can put it on your (broken) knob.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement