Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value walking boots

Options
  • 13-11-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advise on the best value walking boot in the €50-100 range. Something that will definitely keep the rain out :o.

If ye could point me to a high street store too that would be great also as I'd like to try on the boot before purchase.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'm looking for some advise on the best value walking boot in the €50-100 range. Something that will definitely keep the rain out .

You may not get something for that price if you want something really good. Are you looking to walk in Ireland? Even the ones that are waterproof can leak if your toe wears on the lining inside or if a tack goes up through it. Definitely go to a shop and try on different pairs.

You may want a high boot but some can find them too warm. Depends on the terrain you are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I find hi -tech to be a good cheaper brand of foot wear they do a light hiking boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Berghaus is a little over the budget that you mentioned, OP. Worth checking.

Also
    http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/footwear/mens/hillwalking_boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

There is a brand called 'Northwestern Territories' that for their price I find brilliant. Well made and very waterproof. I have had about 4 different pairs over the years which I have used for everything and wear them daily.

They range between 40 and 70 euro.

You can get them in the hiking store in the GPO arcade.

There would definitely be a difference in padding and build to 200 euro plus boots, but for their price I havnt encountered better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hi-Tec are about the best quality of the budget brands. I've had some if their shoes last quite a long time and hold up well.

• Advertisement

I seem to be unlucky with the pairs I buy. 2nd pair I have seem to be leaking in the toe box area. A Colombia pair that were around 120eur. I haven't done much walking in them either. I don't know if the way my foot is rolling/wearing is causing the leak or what. I might put a waterproof spray on it and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT
    I put my boots into a basin of water and funny enough no water was getting in. I just held them down for a couple of minutes and nothing seemed to be getting in. Strange as one of my socks was wet after only a short walk the other day. Unless it is sweat building up.

If you are buying check the warranty. It also might be handy to have the shop relatively closeby in case you need to do a return.

I seem to be unlucky with the pairs I buy. 2nd pair I have seem to be leaking in the toe box area. A Colombia pair that were around 120eur. I haven't done much walking in them either. I don't know if the way my foot is rolling/wearing is causing the leak or what. I might put a waterproof spray on it and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT
    I put my boots into a basin of water and funny enough no water was getting in. I just held them down for a couple of minutes and nothing seemed to be getting in. Strange as one of my socks was wet after only a short walk the other day. Unless it is sweat building up.

If you are buying check the warranty. It also might be handy to have the shop relatively closeby in case you need to do a return.

Boot leaked again this evening. Very strange how water is getting in.

Advertisement