Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skylake Upgrade

Options
  • 13-11-2015 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

So I've been thinking of upgrading for the last while since a few of the more recent games have finally started to lag considerably (gaming will be the primary function of the build). Looking around, I've been wondering of going the Skylake route, especially considering my upgrade history i.e. only one major upgrade every 6/7 years with intermediate upgrades in between.

For this reason I am wondering would Skylake be the best route as it would allow DDR4 upgrades and possibly better CPUs in the long run.

I've priced the build at about €465 ex shipping from mindfactory for:
    i5 6600k €285
    AsRock Extreme 3 Z170 €125 (cheapest mobo I could find for x8/x8 crossfire)
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 DIMM €52

(Crossfire is a requirement for now considering I will still be using my 5770s in crossfire until I get more funds, but they should be accurate considering I will be doubling my bandwidth)

I was also considering a 4670k system or similar but there doesn't seem to be much savings to be made despite you are getting older technology.

Does anyone have any comments on going Skylake or not? It doesn't seem to be recommended to anyone around here and I was wondering is there a particular reason?

Any comments on the components?

Finally, is there something wrong with using newegg? Their prices seem good but it seems only European/German websites are recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Newegg will add 23% to your total because of VAT, and you'll lose your warranty.

Build is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Newegg will add 23% to your total because of VAT, and you'll lose your warranty.

Build is fine

That might explain it alright so. One more thing: is there any point waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday or even until after Christmas for a sale or prices to go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wouldn't do any harm I guess,I mean what's it going to cost you to wait a bit. I'd buy Cyber Monday if nothing was on Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

farna_boy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any comments on going Skylake or not? It doesn't seem to be recommended to anyone around here and I was wondering is there a particular reason?

I was going to do a Skylake upgrade myself but after sitting back and doing my research. There really doesn't seem to be any point tbh. I have a 4770K and a Maximus Hero board so there's nothing I really need right now from a gaming pov, apart from just upgrading the GPU from a GTX780 to a GTX980Ti and downsizing from a NZXT 810 to a slightly smaller tower. I reckon that will keep me ticking over nicely for a couple of years and I'll pass Skylake by altogether. And the marginal performance increase in the Skylake CPU, certainly doesn't warrant me forking out a few grand on a new build. You never said what your current system is built around OP, but if it is pre-Haswell and you do need a complete upgrade, then go with Skylake since the cost of a Haswell ssytem Vs Skylake would be virtually the same.

Advertisement