Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famine Stories - Oral History

Options
  • 13-11-2015 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is any repository of oral history from the Potato Famine. When researching my family history, my granduncle told me that his father, long dead, had told him about events experienced by his own father during the famine. Fascinating to hear about, even if they were only snippets.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

FURET wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is any repository of oral history from the Potato Famine. When researching my family history, my granduncle told me that his father, long dead, had told him about events experienced by his own father during the famine. Fascinating to hear about, even if they were only snippets.

Have a look at Famine Echoes– Folk Memories of the Great Irish Famine. Cathal Poirteir. 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

You will find some famine related folklore in Bailiúchán na Scol - www.duchas.ie

Advertisement