Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar powered remote camera for remote shed

Options
  • 13-11-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to set up a remote alarm/camera for a remote shed that has no mains electricity.
    Set up i was thinking of was a gsm camera like this and hooking it up to a car battery that is charged by solar panel with a PWM charge controller to protect the battery.
    What capacity panel will i need?
    Can i just wire up a standard car usb socket direct to the battery?

I might also have a portable generator there that can be use to top the battery when its running, can that be hooked up to the same/separate PWM?

Was also looking at a more powerful trail camera that has a much better camera, quite a bit more expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Good idea if you lived in spain have you looked out your window today

Scruff wrote: »
    I'm looking to set up a remote alarm/camera for a remote shed that has no mains electricity.
    Set up i was thinking of was a gsm camera like this and hooking it up to a car battery that is charged by solar panel with a PWM charge controller to protect the battery.
    What capacity panel will i need?
    Can i just wire up a standard car usb socket direct to the battery?

I might also have a portable generator there that can be use to top the battery when its running, can that be hooked up to the same/separate PWM?

Was also looking at a more powerful trail camera that has a much better camera, quite a bit more expensive

But if you're looking for a proper solution instead of messing about go look at VIDEOFIED proper remote cctv solutions
    www.videofied.com

stuartkee wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

stuartkee wrote: »

indeed, maybe a small wind turbine as well..
    Getting a quote to see what the cost to get mains in there too from another route.
    Also there is direct los of about 550m to the house so maybe a p2p wireless transmitter/receiver to a normal camera/alarm might be an option. Any recommendations?

Will the videofied stuff is battery powered and gives no problems been in use years now on remote sites and building sites .
    But the p2p stuff needs electrcity but CAMSAT are a good brand with a huge range once it is a clear line of sight

Scruff wrote: »
    indeed, maybe a small wind turbine as well..
    Getting a quote to see what the cost to get mains in there too from another route.
    Also there is direct los of about 550m to the house so maybe a p2p wireless transmitter/receiver to a normal camera/alarm might be an option. Any recommendations?

Advertisement