Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 (fat) YLOD

Options
  • 13-11-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

I've a PS3 (40GB) that i got 2nd hand but it now has developed a power up issue. What happens is:
    press power on button
    green LED lights
    small yellow LED (HD i think) lights up goes off and comes on again
    then a soft 'click' can be heard and
    green LED goes RED and starts blinking

If I keep doing this, pressing the power button on-off about 10/15 times it'll eventually come on and play away normally, powering on-off ok and playing all games for hours.
    Seems like it needs to get 'warmed-up' before kicking into gear ! a bit like the youtube videos of guys heating the PS3 up (hair-dryer) before it starts to work again !

Last night I opened it up and cleaned the two big IC's and applied new paste, then went through the on-off 15 times process and then proceeded to use it for half an hour or so.
    This morning I tried to power it on but the same YLOD or RFLOD happened again !!
    I had a look at the power supply but didn't see anything unusual or burnt.

Any ideas folks ?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The 'warming up' could be serving to heat the innards enough so that there's a slight expansion and a previously bad/dry solder point becomes functional again. Sounds like it needs to be re-balled. You could try the DIY re-flowing methods, but I wouldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Is it one or both of the large BGA IC's that need re-flowing ?
    /I wonder if our BGA dept in work could do it ? hmmmmm:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it one or both of the large BGA IC's that need re-flowing ?
    /I wonder if our BGA dept in work could do it ? hmmmmm:cool:

I've no idea, PS3 repairs are not something I've experience of. There's a boards user on another forum who made this, might be worth trying:

Damn, I might have to open her up again so and apply some 'heat'
    /could be worth it tho !

Update: good news, back working after the BGA reworker performed her magic :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement