Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you give blood?

• 13-11-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I gave yesterday, but I'm just curious as to what sort of percentage of people actually do. And for those that don't why not?

I've included in the poll an option for yes even though you're not supposed to. I know a couple of gay people that do, they just lie on the form. I'm happy enough about it, if I need their blood I won't be complaining. The blood is tested anyway before it's used.

And what are the reasons people can't by the way?

Do you give blood 222 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    Yes even though I'm technically ineligible to
    67% 150 votes
    No
    3% 7 votes
    No because I can't
    28% 64 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

blue note wrote: »
    I gave yesterday, but I'm just curious as to what sort of percentage of people actually do. And for those that don't why not?

It's my blood, I like it in my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

I try to donate every 3 months, been doing it for about 2 years now. :o

I do. I think it was Christopher Hitchens who said that it is one of the easiest forms of charity because "Although you give a pint you do not really lose a pint - as your body regenerates it that quickly" - and that struck enough of a cord with me that I took it up.

From a purely selfish perspective however - some day I might need some myself and every pint I give now is one pint likelier that there will be in the future when I need it back :)

Not sure how long these things can be stored for. Anyone in the know on that? If it is a long time - I am surprised there is no business model in place for "banking" your own for later use. Or is there? If not - might be a niche market there. Must look into that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I do, although it's been a while since I have. I'll have to get back to it soon. I've a few reasons for not going recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I 've been donating since 1990. Lately, due to weight gain that caused high blood pressure, I cannot, but I will again as soon as I return to my normal weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I gave blood for years and even got the silver pelican pin (which I've since lost) but then they changed the rules and as I once lived in the UK I'm now barred.

I might just start donating again and not let on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'd love to but can't, I contracted hepatitis A back in my travelling days :(

Pity really as I have a rare blood group, AB-Neg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I do, although it's been a while since I have. I'll have to get back to it soon. I've a few reasons for not going recently.

Sober up and come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yep. It was a rite of passage in my family: when you turned 18 you'd go for your first pint.

I trailed off for a while but I'm back at it now. Next donation is #20!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

I do. I think it was Christopher Hitchens who said that it is one of the easiest forms of charity because "Although you give a pint you do not really lose a pint - as your body regenerates it that quickly" - and that struck enough of a cord with me that I took it up.

From a purely selfish perspective however - some day I might need some myself and every pint I give now is one pint likelier that there will be in the future when I need it back :)

Not sure how long these things can be stored for. Anyone in the know on that? If it is a long time - I am surprised there is no business model in place for "banking" your own for later use. Or is there? If not - might be a niche market there. Must look into that :)

IBTS site suggests blood can be stored for up to 5 weeks for their purposes at least: https://www.giveblood.ie/All_About_Blood/How_Blood_is_Used/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I donate fucks, apparently nobody thinks to give them so there's a shortage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I would love to but can't due to health issues - my blood ain't no good apparently. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, I have a pin somewhere because I reached some number of donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No but I should. Gonna look into it on my lunch. Can you donate on a Saturday or in the evenings anywhere around Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Yup every 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Used to. Not currently eligible, may be in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    No but I should. Gonna look into it on my lunch. Can you donate on a Saturday or in the evenings anywhere around Dublin?

There's regularly blood donation drives in the suburbs in the evening time. I've donated at 8pm in swords, coolock, artane etc. There's also the clinic on d'olier street, but no late openings there.

Go to www.giveblood.ie and you can see all suburban donor nights on any given evening :)

I donate as much as I can. My uncle died of leukaemia and he made me promise that I'd donate blood and platelets because the amount of transfusions he got, gave him extra precious months. I can't give platelets because I have terrible veins so I'll always give blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, I donate platelets, must be close to 40 donations at this stage. Can donate platelets every 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I'd love to but I can't as I'm English, and despite being here 20 years strong accent so couldn't pretend I'm not.
    But I did give when I lived in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Because it is free will.

I believe op was asking why people choose not to, not whether they have free will or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hardly wise to lie about your eligibility,they have those rules for a reason.
    Unless you know better than the medical heads.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

About a dozen times. Do it for the cup of tea and crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

I used to give blood, but since a couple of years now I lost a little but of weight, which puts me at/under 50kg :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'd love to but I can't as I'm English, and despite being here 20 years strong accent so couldn't pretend I'm not.
    But I did give when I lived in UK.

Wow, never realised. Anyone that lived in the UK for more than 12 months between 1980 and 1996 is ineligible because of the risk of CJD.

That must reduce the pool of donors quite a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have tried a few times but they can never find a vein. I'm ineligible at the moment after recent surgery but will try again when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

not since they stopped giving pencils and Guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I donate but for the last two years I work late all week so I don't get to go in the evenings.

They're on UCC campus for two days next week so I'll go then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wow, never realised. Anyone that lived in the UK for more than 12 months between 1980 and 1996 is ineligible because of the risk of CJD.

Most of Ireland lived in the UK during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Just started and will.keep going. I'm 25 so hopefully have a few yrs ahead of donating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I think it is a great thing to do and I really admire people who do it. I wish I could do it myself (especially as I have to get blood tests quite regularly and I am well used to being poked by needles for IVs so it would be no bother) but unfortunately I take daily prophylactic antibiotics and that rules me out. I do have an organ donor card though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Doctor: You're AB negative.
    Hancock: ...Is that bad?
    Doctor: No, no - you're rhesus positive.
    Hancock: Rhesus?! They're monkeys, aren't they? How dare you! What are you implying? I didn't come here to be insulted by a legalised vampire!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yep, have been giving every 3 months or so for the past 3 years, the endless supply of free cream crackers is just one of the perks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I tried doing it a few times, years ago, but each time the vein kind of gave up before they got enough blood. So even though the bag was well over half full, they were going to have to end up chucking it because it wasn't a full bag. And I felt really crap for a few days after each time, sick and dizzy etc.

Might try again though. Needles don't bother me, and I wouldn't mind feeling crap afterwards if at least I knew the blood was going to be used.

It's amazing, with all the scientific advances in medicine, that they haven't yet found a way to synthesize blood. I amn't squeamish at all at the idea of donating it, but I think I'd find it very strange to see someone else's blood being put into my body ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Did a few platelet donations, but they didn't go very smoothly! Disappointing as I really like to be able to.
    Haven't donated in about a year due to ineligibilities running into each other; my most recent 'ban' is due to expire mid-Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yep, every three months too, only missed a couple of times since I was 21, once iron was too low and once because I was on antibiotics. Technically I'm eligible but in reality I shouldn't be as with a lot of families in the eighties on the border, the bulk of our shopping was done in the North.

I never tell them when I'm on holidays abroad now with the new restrictions, if I was in the tropics maybe I would, but the chances of me getting West Nile Virus in Vegas or Vienna are roughly the same as the chances of Beyonce knocking on my back door looking for a place to stay for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

kneemos wrote: »
    Most of Ireland lived in the UK during that period.

That's what I was thinking. It's not even one stay, its a cumulative 12 months, and includes the North.

I was just totting it up because we lived in UK all that time, but the wife's mum and dad were always over a week here, fortnight there. Wife's Dad helped us fix up an old place. Then in the sh\tstorm of the 80s he got a job for 3 or 4 months. Can't be that unusual.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yep, have been giving every 3 months or so for the past 3 years, the endless supply of free cream crackers is just one of the perks.

Bastards had no pens the last time I donated, hope that was just an oversight on their part, I wouldn't even know where my local pen shop is if I actually had to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Think I gave 6 pints.

I'm B- 2nd rarest group (AB- being the rarest)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Yes I tried explaining that I've been vegetarian for most of my life, so I wouldn't be a risk but no joy, but I guess I can understand there worries, but it would really reduce the amount of people able to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

efb wrote: »

I'm B- 2nd rarest group

You are obviously not my type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ireland the UK share a blood bank as far as I recall.

I used to, but medical issues made me ineligible. I did though, because I have the universal donor type (O-); can be given to anyone regardless of blood type.

I would again if I was allowed to.

Also, absolutely do not give blood if you're ineligible for it. Some of the reasons might seem a bit harsh, but there was a case in Missouri in 2008 where a regular donor donated blood and it was later discovered - after his blood had been used - that he was HIV positive, picked up from a one-night stand. At the time of donation, it was not screenable because it was still in the incubation period (there's a more technical explanation, but that's the gist of it; it takes between 1-4 weeks for the antibodies to show at all). Of those they could track who had received blood components, there was one confirmed case where the receiver ended up HIV+.

There have also been cases prior to 1991 where people were infected with HepC from donated blood.

I -remember- a case recently where a lot of blood had to be destroyed because a donor was found to have an infection, but for the life of me, I cannot find it in news reports so take that with a pinch of salt.

Your blood does not give a damn if you "mean well". If you are not eligible, don't lie about it. The consequences could be far graver than you think.

Edit: Also, recent studies suggest that Alzheimer's can be passed through blood too.

Edit to the first edit: The UK in the 80s thing is a right bugger, but in truth, we're only hitting the period around now where we'll really see if a CJD epidemic is going to hit. My sister is ineligible to donate blood because she lived there during that time. Actually...all my close family are ineligible to give blood for one reason or another. O.o I think I'm the only one that doesn't have a lifetime ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Samaris wrote: »

I used to, but medical issues made me ineligible. I did though, because I have the universal donor type (O-); can be given to anyone regardless of blood type.

Also, absolutely do not give blood if you're ineligible for it. Some of the reasons might seem a bit harsh, but there was a case in Missouri in 2008 where a regular donor donated blood and it was later discovered - after his blood had been used - that he was HIV positive, picked up from a one-night stand. At the time of donation, it was not screenable because it was still in the incubation period (there's a more technical explanation, but that's the gist of it; it takes between 1-4 weeks for the antibodies to show at all). Of those they could track who had received blood components, there was one confirmed case where the receiver ended up HIV+.

There have also been cases prior to 1991 where people were infected with HepC from donated blood.

I -remember- a case recently where a lot of blood had to be destroyed because a donor was found to have an infection, but for the life of me, I cannot find it in news reports so take that with a pinch of salt.

Your blood does not give a damn if you "mean well". If you are not eligible, don't lie about it. The consequences could be far graver than you think.

Edit: Also, recent studies suggest that Alzheimer's can be passed through blood too.
    Sure that lad in missouri was eligible, he didn't believe he had hiv. And the risk they have with gay people is an sti risk. But plenty of them have been in a monogamous relationship for years and could have been tested beforehand to be site they were safe. I'd rather they donate than we run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Can't give blood as I lived in London during the Mad Cow disease era. The US has the same rules as back home.

I did it for the first time a few years ago and have been doing it every 3 months or so since.

I fcuking hate it every time. It's like a personal challenge to myself. I get nervous and sweaty palms. I hate needles. I hate the piercing feeling. I hate the numbness down your arm for the rest of the day. I hate looking at my own blood. I hate being reminded of my own mortality.

I still do it though because I hate sick people who don't get blood they need even more. It makes me feel good about myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've always meant to, but I tend to find excuses. I'm not scared of needles, though I do find the idea of the blood draining out of me a little weird. If I'm not training, then I probably have a cold. If I happen to be taking two weeks off training and I don't get a cold, then my excuse is that I don't have time to go to a clinic.

I see from the calendar though that there's a clinic 200m from my house on a Sunday when I know I won't be training. So assuming I don't have a cold at that time I'm gonna try make that one.

One thing that's also put me off is the fact that anyone with my blood type gets harrassing calls from IBTS every couple of months with people telling them that "dying babies need your blood" down the phone.

That's not cool.

cython wrote: »
    IBTS site suggests blood can be stored for up to 5 weeks for their purposes at least:

Ah well - ruins my business model idea then for banking your own blood for later use in life! I think when you give birth in some places they can offer to store the placenta and things like that for any requirements of the childs stem cells later in life.

blue note wrote: »
    Sure that lad in missouri was eligible, he didn't believe he had hiv. And the risk they have with gay people is an sti risk. But plenty of them have been in a monogamous relationship for years and could have been tested beforehand to be site they were safe. I'd rather they donate than we run out.

He was not eligible, because he had slept with males*, including just before he donated. He was married, but had a series of one-night stands, generally after drinking, apparently, and did not admit that on the form.

If he hadn't lied, there's someone out there with HIV that wouldn't have it.

*Yes, of course I'm aware that not all gay men have HIV. It is a high-risk group though, particularly in the US, and in this particular case, the risk happened.

Samaris wrote: »

Edit to the first edit: The UK in the 80s thing is a right bugger, but in truth, we're only hitting the period around now where we'll really see if a CJD epidemic is going to hit. My sister is ineligible to donate blood because she lived there during that time. Actually...all my close family are ineligible to give blood for one reason or another. O.o I think I'm the only one that doesn't have a lifetime ban.

If I was in hospital and it was a choice of certain death or a millions to one chance of contaminated blood I know what I'd choose

If I was in hospital and it was a choice of certain death or a millions to one chance of contaminated blood I know what I'd choose

The reason it's millions to one is because of stringent rules on who can and cannot give blood. If you have an infection or you are aware that you are in a high-risk group for infection and cannot get it tested (that includes travelling to countries with West Nile, malaria, etc., or UK in the 80s), don't do it.

Unless there's been a serious emergency, the blood banks actually do fine with people who pass the tests. Yes, people need to keep giving blood, but it's better for everyone that only those who pass the rules as laid out by the experts donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

what kind of a cock sees "don't give blood if..." and thinks of it as a challenge?

Jesus

• Advertisement
Advertisement