Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you give blood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Lived in the UK so can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dodge wrote: »
    what kind of a cock sees "don't give blood if..." and thinks of it as a challenge?

Jesus

Some person in my dad's donation group caused a problem with this.

His blood (not my dad's) tested positive for HIV. As a result, since they didn't know who's blood it was, everyone in that group got letters telling them to go get HIV tests done. And all of the blood from that group was destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I did a few times, but had to stop when I became ineligible due to medication.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Club orange, tattoo and timeout bars. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I can't but I really wish I could.
    I was lucky enough to receive 2 litres of blood 3 years ago, so it makes me ineligible now but it definitely makes me realise the importance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

I did once but I was left with a huge bruise for days which actually hurt a fair bit.. I have thought of giving recently but closest bank is Stillorgan I believe, I'm based in Wicklow, guts of 2 hr round trip has me looking for time to do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

His blood (not my dad's) tested positive for HIV. As a result, since they didn't know who's blood it was, everyone in that group got letters telling them to go get HIV tests done. And all of the blood from that group was destroyed.

Jesus that's scary! I wonder how many people were involved ... I'm sure some were probably nervous waiting for results! Even if you were 99% confident you were clear, it would plant that seed of doubt in your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lived in the UK so pretty much banned from everywhere although I've always wanted to. Since I got lymphoma blood donations are now a complete no no.

However I enjoyed getting lots of transfusions during treatment. People who can donate should do so and often. Keeps people like me alive to type nonsense into chat forums at 1am. Whoop whoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No. As a matter of fact, I don't even know my blood type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

blue note wrote: »
    Do you give blood?

Yes I do, I pay way too much tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can't donate at the moment because I'm pregnant, but will do it in the future.

Jesus that's scary! I wonder how many people were involved ... I'm sure some were probably nervous waiting for results! Even if you were 99% confident you were clear, it would plant that seed of doubt in your mind.

My dad even said to me he hadn't had sex for well over a year and was nervous! Fear aside, it meant loads of perfectly good blood that could have helped people was destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

No, I'm unclean from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

My dad even said to me he hadn't had sex for well over a year and was nervous! Fear aside, it meant loads of perfectly good blood that could have helped people was destroyed.

God love whoever it was too.could be someone who had a one night stand a year ago and genuinely had no idea he or she was sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Samaris wrote: »
    The reason it's millions to one is because of stringent rules on who can and cannot give blood. If you have an infection or you are aware that you are in a high-risk group for infection and cannot get it tested (that includes travelling to countries with West Nile, malaria, etc., or UK in the 80s), don't do it.

Unless there's been a serious emergency, the blood banks actually do fine with people who pass the tests. Yes, people need to keep giving blood, but it's better for everyone that only those who pass the rules as laid out by the experts donate.

When the US, Canada, Austria and Italy ban all their own citizens from donating blood I'll gladly inform the IBTS when I'm just back from those countries. Until then, it's over restrictive nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have done a few times but in recent years whenever I think of doing it I don't think I can since I smoke weed somewhat occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    I did once but I was left with a huge bruise for days which actually hurt a fair bit.. I have thought of giving recently but closest bank is Stillorgan I believe, I'm based in Wicklow, guts of 2 hr round trip has me looking for time to do it..
    I got a lovely nurse one day that started wiggling the needle around INSIDE my arm looking for the vein. Bitch ruined my arm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bastards had no pens the last time I donated, hope that was just an oversight on their part, I wouldn't even know where my local pen shop is if I actually had to buy one.

Whenever they have anything good I tend to stock up, as a result I have a lot of pens and keyrings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My dad used always give blood, my brothers still do.

Everyone else in my family can't give blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Mobile clinics come around a lot of places every few months, so good chance if you keep an eye on https://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/ one would be somewhere much closer to you maybe once every 4 months - Tinahely, Wicklow, Bray and Arklow are all planned between now and Jan, and depending on where you are in Wicklow there may be other options (e.g. Blessington might be best looking at Kildare clinics)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I remember on the last day of my finals I came out of the exam, saw they were doing a clinic in the rowing club, and I donated and signed the book wishing Ireland the best in the JSK WC 02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Yes I give blood, it used to take ages to get through the screening part but they've hurried it up by using an appointment system and also by doing the finger blood test at an earlier stage. (The rage one time when I'd been there for over 2 hours only to be told my iron levels were too low!)

Several members of my family have needed transfusions over the years for various reasons so it gives me an enormous sense of well-being when I donate.

The last time I was an absolute muppet and didn't eat all day thinking that a massive meal an hour before donation would suffice. It didn't :p When I arose from the plinth I pulled a major whitener and had to lie flat for half an hour while all the nosy parkers gawped at me. Lesson learned!

I have my opinions on the restrictions but believe that donating is more important than not. Even though I do feel that sections of society are discriminated against.

Must donate again soon because I'm planning a tattoo so will be ineligible for a time after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can't because of the cows. Lived in Ireland all my life, the first 18 years in the North and the last 16 in the south but because I'm from over the border they won't take my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Does the mobile clinic not come around every few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No, lived in the UK for the first few years of my life. Never ate beef though but I guess I'm still ineligible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No. Got a false positive for Hep C cause I had a cold sore that was under the skin. Barred for life even though nothing is wrong with me. I had given 11 times at that stage. The IBTS paid for my train and food to bring me up to St.James' hospital to use me as a pin cushion to test their machines and me to make sure all was ok with me and their systems.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 JulianSNZ

I don't, but I should. I don't really have any excuse not too. That being said I don't plan of giving blood anytime soon.

I have done it before but every time i think of it since i have a cold!! I want to go back donate again

mud wrote: »
    Yes I give blood, it used to take ages to get through the screening part but they've hurried it up by using an appointment system and also by doing the finger blood test at an earlier stage. (The rage one time when I'd been there for over 2 hours only to be told my iron levels were too low!)

Several members of my family have needed transfusions over the years for various reasons so it gives me an enormous sense of well-being when I donate.

The last time I was an absolute muppet and didn't eat all day thinking that a massive meal an hour before donation would suffice. It didn't :p When I arose from the plinth I pulled a major whitener and had to lie flat for half an hour while all the nosy parkers gawped at me. Lesson learned!

I have my opinions on the restrictions but believe that donating is more important than not. Even though I do feel that sections of society are discriminated against.

Must donate again soon because I'm planning a tattoo so will be ineligible for a time after that.

you're only ineligible for 4 months after a tattoo :)
    I remember when I donated in July, they asked had I had lots of food and cold drinks. it was so hot that day that everyone in the d'olier street clinic that day had fainted after donating :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

It was the bane of my life trying to give blood when I lived in Ireland. One day iron levels were too low, another I'd spent time travelling in South East Asia which was an issue, another day I was too skinny, another day I was allowed give blood (same weight as the previous day(??)) but the nurse spent so long poking around in my arm I fainted and it was a bad experience overall.

Anyway, yes I have, but it's never been straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ya, at donation # 47 now. my only problem now is that the free cadbury purple snacks have so little chocolate on them now its depressing. I'm the only one in my extended family who donates. parents used to regularly when I was growing up so always knew it was the thing to do. if the clinic isn't in my area when my 90 days are up I generally will scout out the nearest one and make a trip there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I don't understand this at all Penny.How could they not know whose blood it was?All specimens are labelled carefully and tested thereafter.
    Unless it was in the 70s or 80s maybe?Or someone stupid made a mistake labelling?

I've donated 40+times and hope to make it to at least the 50 before the end of this decade -it's a better gift to a sick person than a stupid bottle of lucozade or a bunch of grapes!

I don't understand this at all Penny.How could they not know whose blood it was?All specimens are labelled carefully and tested thereafter.
    Unless it was in the 70s or 80s maybe?Or someone stupid made a mistake labelling?

I've donated 40+times and hope to make it to at least the 50 before the end of this decade -it's a better gift to a sick person than a stupid bottle of lucozade or a bunch of grapes!

are they?

He assumed they didn't know who had the contaminated blood cause a load of them got letters saying someone tested positive, so they all needed to go get tested and refrain from donating til after. it wasn't in the eighties either, only last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Yes- I started giving in late 80s and it's always been strict.
    At start of every procedure, samples are taken to be checked.
    Sounds odd ....but no worries.
    Once he's negative, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Can I ask why you would donate blood id you are ineligible to do so????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm ineligible due to having lived in the UK in the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Been doing it for 27 years.

Its much harder since I moved out of Dublin, but still make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

I have donated a few times up until my cousin died of CJD and they ruled me out as a donor after that.

Here in Spain I was having a big operation and had to donate 2 units of blood to be used after the op. I had to supply a passport photo which they stuck on the bags so they knew it was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Tried to a few times, could never donate for different reasons. I know its for safety but haven't and probably won't try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I do. Am overdue to donate but I've got a lingering cold (4 bloody weeks!) so will wait till that's fully cleared up.

I have to say though, the clinics are a pain in the hole sometimes. Queues are way too long - I've walked out a couple of times when it went past the two hour mark and I hadn't been seen yet. It used to be handy when I was in Dublin and could pop into D'Olier Street any time that suited me. It's a shame there aren't more permanent clinics around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I keep meaning to go donate, but the times don't suit me a lot of the time. I'm in Dublin for college and my course is very intensive so it can be hard to get to the clinic. I keep meaning to go, and I intend to go in the next two weeks though. I'll go to the D'Olier Street clinic, but I've heard the waiting times can be long so I have to decide when is best for me and when I can miss a few hours.
    I think blood donation is so important. You could save someone's life or help a seriously ill person and you never know when you yourself might need it in the future. I am an organ donator too and am considering putting myself on the bone marrow registry. I saw on a previous thread that someone got a call to donate for a very sick child in Canada. It's something to think about anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lived in the UK during the 1990s, so I have Mad Cow Disease, according to the IBTS.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Always try to give it when I can. Think I've donated nearly 15 times but when I went the last time they were very strict about taking donations (had a small scrape on my face that they decided ruled me out which seems fair).

I hate needles but that's no excuse not to give a couple of hours of my time to help somebody who needs blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Ineligible because I'm English. But I got taken off the list before I moved here. Apparently I have very runny blood. Pump out a pint in 4 minutes flat, then turn green and have to lie down. "This must be unpleasant for you as well as distressing for other donors." Thanks very much, don't come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I would like to but I'm on medication for an underactive thyroid so I don't know if I can. Another question for the dr I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I hate needles but that's no excuse not to give a couple of hours of my time to help somebody who needs blood.

I kinda agree although if you have a phobia of needles it would be more understandable imo. Phobias are different to basic fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Used the give regularly and then lived in the UK so that was it.
    Even if they relax the rules I still can't due to medication and the risk of getting blood all over their floor, walls, ceiling......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can't because I had a transfusion. Don't understand why that rules you out for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

are they?

He assumed they didn't know who had the contaminated blood cause a load of them got letters saying someone tested positive, so they all needed to go get tested and refrain from donating til after. it wasn't in the eighties either, only last year!
    Yeah I would have assumed that the blood is labelled with an ID number that could be linked back to the patient that donated but I'm not sure.

As for people donating when they know they're ineligible, I was chatting to a friend of a friend recently and for whatever reason this came up. He's ineligible because he's gay and was pretty proud about the fact that he donates. He says he just lies. Definitely gave the vibe of getting one over on 'the man' or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wow, never realised. Anyone that lived in the UK for more than 12 months between 1980 and 1996 is ineligible because of the risk of CJD.

That must reduce the pool of donors quite a bit?

I lived in Britain from 1986-1995 so they don't want my filthy English blood. Even though I'm Irish. Kind of insulting really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement