Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you give blood?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I'm going to donate for the first time in the next two weeks. Really hoping I don't feel bad afterwards! I'm fine with getting blood taken but I think they take more for donation. I have exams coming up and a busy few weeks so it wouldn't be great if I was unwell after it. I'm sure I'll be fine though. I hate needles but it's for a good cause so I'm just going to do it. I think I'll make an appointment so I'll be done sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I'm going to donate for the first time in the next two weeks. Really hoping I don't feel bad afterwards! I'm fine with getting blood taken but I think they take more for donation. I have exams coming up and a busy few weeks so it wouldn't be great if I was unwell after it. I'm sure I'll be fine though. I hate needles but it's for a good cause so I'm just going to do it. I think I'll make an appointment so I'll be done sooner.

Have a light snack before going in. A sandwich will do. Then once your done have your proper lunch or dinner. I found that I felt queasy if I'd eaten too much before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You'll be grand. They'll know it's your first time and will take extra care and pay special attention.

Just don't leave until you are certain you feel perfectly ok, sit there as long as you want until you feel like that. Bring somebody else along to accompany you home if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

I did every three months for a long time. Organised from work, bus picked us up and brought us back Grand.

Until one day I was lying down on the bed thing, the needle went in, then everything went black. I could hear them all around me but I was fainting or something. First time after years of donating. Don't know why.

I haven't been back since that. Took me a few days to recover. Anyway, I was unlucky that day, not to put people off.

Still, I did my bit over the years anyway.

Funny you should say that, but for me all is usually grand, but the last time I went I got real dizzy and squeamish , and I never get squeamish!

I was delighted to get out that day ... was sweating and everything, nurse kept asking me am I OK and I was trying to be hard and say .. yeah grand ... all A OK ...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

lazza14 wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, but for me all is usually grand, but the last time I went I got real dizzy and squeamish , and I never get squeamish!

I was delighted to get out that day ... was sweating and everything, nurse kept asking me am I OK and I was trying to be hard and say .. yeah grand ... all A OK ...

:o

Fair dues for being so braaaavve!!

It can happen sometimes, nothing to worry about so I'm told, but I did my bit for over 11 years, so time to hang up my boots now!

Fair dues to those who do it. It is so essential for hospitals to have a good supply on hand.

You never know when you will need it yourself.

My sister had many transfusions due to her cancer. My God she would blossom after it. So I know. Sadly she passed away, but the blood donations helped her enormously.

So thanks everyone, even though I'm in tears now thinking about her. Sorry for the indulgence. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don't because I'm afraid of being sick after. Fine with needles but it's the feeling awful after that I've seen happen to a lot of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I do....it's about the only good thing I do!!

Though I've a rare blood type and they ring me etc if it's very low in that group...it's the second rarest can't thing the name of it though....it's on the chart at end of the letter

Il be doing it again before Xmas...though that'll be the last for a long while as I'm wanting to get a tattoo done (dunno time allowed after a tattoo!)

Now it's 6 people who have given blood, even though they're ineligible.

If you're ineligible to give blood, DON'T give blood. You might find their rules odd or foolish or whatever, but they exist for a reason..

If you are eligible you should donate. Even if you don't like needles or whatever it won't last long and the benefit to others is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

In Ireland did you used to get a pint of Guinness after donating blood too ?

seems so irresponsible now, with 1 pint less blood in the body one would get sloshed faster ?

maybe that was the idea ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If you are eligible you should donate. Even if you don't like needles or whatever it won't last long and the benefit to others is huge.

If someone doesn't want to...they shouldn't be forced IMO.....who has any right to tell others what to do with their body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Only gave once, would be happy to give more but I've rang a few times and they say they've plenty of my type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd love to be able to do it but fear passing out because of fear of needles and previous experience of same. I suppose that's the selfish person in me and if I could get over the fear once I could be a regular donor, if a member of my family was ill and needed blood my attitude would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I'd love to be able to do it but fear passing out because of fear of needles and previous experience of same. I suppose that's the selfish person in me and if I could get over the fear once I could be a regular donor, if a member of my family was ill and needed blood my attitude would change.

It most likely would change then but a phobia is hard to get passed.

Ask me to go hold a spider or get into a coffin if it meant the difference between life or death of a loved one??? Yea no problem.

Any other time??? Forget it!!!! Love is the only thing that would push me past those fear boundries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'd love to donate- no problem with needles as I just don't look when they poke me during routine blood tests.
    However, the very reason I have blood tests every 6 or so weeks is the reason I can't donate. I'm on strong anti-psychotics so unless I'm missing something, my blood would be useless. A shame as I think donating is very noble and a worthwhile cause.
    Don't even know what type I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

McChubbin wrote: »
    Don't even know what type I have.

You could probably ask your gp. They should know from your blood work. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

just after seeing this on the news. that's going to have a major affect on the volume of donations I'd imagine. I know in the clinic I go to donate, its 70/30 in favour of women donating. I remember when the test first came in last year I did ask the nurse how reliable it was compared to the old finger prick test. Nurse didn't seem very convinced herself but said they'd been told it was just as reliable.

If they tell you to lie down after, do. Can take a few mins for wooziness to hit ime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Over 30 times. B negative, only 4% of people have it I think. It's only 3 times a year, and doesn't take long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Make sure you drink plenty of water before hand. Nurse told me around two litres on the day.

If someone doesn't want to...they shouldn't be forced IMO.....who has any right to tell others what to do with their body

Of course people shouldn't be forced to do anything they don't want to. I said it's a good thing to do if you can donate, not that you must donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread on it, but this story was in the news today and hopefully might be seen here by some more people who may have missed it. I'll still be able to keep my appointment for donating tomorrow, but for any women who have donated in the last 18 months -

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service has suspended taking blood donations from women who have given blood in the last 18 months, due to an issue with iron-deficiency anaemia.

It has made an appeal to men who donate to help keep the blood supply up.

A problem has been found with a test, introduced in July 2014, used to check haemoglobin levels in potential blood donors.

The test was failing to identify all donors with anaemia, particularly women. Several hundred donors have been affected and contacted.

IBTS medical and scientific director Dr Willie Murphy said that as a result of the issue, some women and a small number of men may have been rendered iron deficient and anaemic from blood donation in the the past 18 months.

The IBTS will now check a blood sample from each donor for haemoglobin. It says there is no issue with the safety of blood transfusions.

But the problem is likely to lead to a fall-off of around 550 unit of blood this week - a quarter of the blood supply.

While this will result in supply constraints, the IBTS expects to meet hospital needs and can import blood if necessary.

As a result, it is appealing to men to donate in the interim.

The blood service will replace the faulty test with an alternative as soon as possible.

It is asking any concerned donors to attend their GP if they are worried that they might be anaemic or iron deficient. The blood service will meet the cost of GP visits and iron checks.

Concerned donors can contact the IBTS at 1850-731-137.

Health Minister Leo Varadkar today said: "I was informed earlier today that the Irish Blood Transfusion Service has identified a problem with the device used by them to measure haemoglobin levels in prospective blood donors.

"I am assured that the IBTS has put in place appropriate precautionary, safety, contingency and communication measures to deal with the issue.

"I am being briefed on the issue on an ongoing basis and will monitor it closely," he said.

Source: http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/1116/742320-the-irish-blood-transfusion-service-anaemia/

(bold emphasis my own)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Gave blood tonight in Limerick.

Kids loved the crisps and biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Nope. Done too many drugs in the past year and they won't let me. I'll be able to in about 6 months but I'll wait a year just to be safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Neverbanned

Don't, for various reasons including infrequent drug use, I'm bi(safe always but still) and the main one, I drink way to much.

That said, I don't agree with the ban on gay men not being allowed to donate, surely a system of showing recent results of sti testing should suffice?

It's not required at the moment for anyone is it? (or is it, I don't know) so the risk of sti donations is exactly the same if all donations are tested.

Everyone is at the same risk of contracting an STI, regardless of orientation. I understand the reason for low iron levels etc, but the ban on men who have sex with men was born out of the aids problem in the 80's. If testing is as rigorous as it is supposed to be, gay men should be allowed to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I can't because I've received numerous transfusions when I was younger. It undoubtedly saved my life and I'm forever grateful to the people who give/have given blood donations. It's incredibly important and although you don't get any thanks for doing it from the recipients directly, you can guarantee that they(and their families) are thankful for every drop that you donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm already out due to having lived in the UK in the 1990s, but I thought I'd see what else might disqualify me. After checking the form for 1st time donors, I think I'm out for at least four different reasons ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

That said, I don't agree with the ban on gay men not being allowed to donate, surely a system of showing recent results of sti testing should suffice?

10 second google says Gay men still highest risk factor group....in US anyway.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tried to donate tonight but as I had a baby in April & lost 1.2litres of blood during & after the delivery I wasn't allowed:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Not allowed. Lived in the UK at the wrong time.

Can't donate in Switzerland either. They're happy to take my marrow though so I'm on a donor list for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Tried a few years ago and got told my veins were to small - left me with some nasty bruises on both arms from them trying though. Even my doctor struggles with blood tests.

Raging cos i'd love to be able to do it as i have the blood that can go to both types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread on it, but this story was in the news today and hopefully might be seen here by some more people who may have missed it. I'll still be able to keep my appointment for donating tomorrow, but for any women who have donated in the last 18 months -

Had a text from them today to say that the restriction has been lifted on women who have donated in the last 18 months (at least for the Castlebar clinic, which is the panel I'm on). They've gone back to the good old-fashioned method of sticking a pin in your finger method to test your haemoglobin levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Has anyone ever heard of or been told that you can't give blood because of anaphylaxis-inducing allergies? I've a severe allergy to peanuts and kiwis but this was the only reason I was refused as a donor. I just thought it'd be a fairly common thing, and that they'd put it as an outright contraindication on their form. Also, could I still give bone marrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never done it.. don't even know what blood type I am actually.

Advertisement