Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threadneedle Road/Taylor's Hill/Kingston Road Junction

Options
  • 13-11-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I attend a course in the Ardilaun Hotel every second weekend. I haven't been since the new traffic light system launched.

I usually turn left out of the Ardilaun car park, and then I usually take a right at the traffic lights to head back towards the Galway Shopping Centre and up and out for Sligo.

I can't take that right turn anymore apparently so what should I do? I need to head back that Seamus Quirke Road so I just need to figure out the best way to get onto it as easily as possible.

A) Should I go straight through the traffic lights at Taylor's Hill and turn somewhere down Kingston Road and come back into the traffic lights and turn left

Or

B) Should I turn left down Threadneedle Road and turn and come back up to go straight through the lights that way.

Are either of those solutions possible? (any one-way systems or no-turning that I don't know about)

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Instead of going left from the Ardilaun, go right!

You can take Maunsells Road, Shantalla Road, and the Old Seamus Quirke road to get you to Westside. Rest of the way should be recognisable.

Google maps directions

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Thanks but I went that way the first time I was there and I got majorly lost for like an hour.

If you had to pick between the two options which would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Either of those is possible, there are side roads and entrances not too far down on both roads where you could turn easily. No restricted movements on either apart from the right turns you mentioned.

Haha. Okay, I understand your apprehension so.

Of your options, I'd be inclined to go with option A; but as confusticated said either works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Of those two options, B is the easier one to go with I think. Turn left at the traffic lights to go down Threadneedle road. It's quite wide, and there are a lot of places where you can turn around. Kingston Road is quite narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You can take Maunsells Road, Shantalla Road, and the Old Seamus Quirke road to get you to Westside. Rest of the way should be recognisable.

Google maps directions

Redhairedguy directions are the best and most direct route for you.

This traffic light change actually illustrates how more car traffic has to now go through residential areas.

Have added rough distance lengths to Redhairedguy directions.
    Go right at the Ardilaun, travel 100m abd pass through set of traffic lights, then take next left after that. (100m)

You are on Maunsells Road - travel the length of that 400-500m. Turn left onto Shantalla Road travel for 40 meters and take a right onto the Old Seamus Quirke road. Travel for about 200 meter and at the lights take a right onto Seamus Quirke Road (Westside)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In your situation, I would do option A.

Reasoning: for a person who has gotten majorly lost when then tried to follow RHG's route previously, there is less risk of going wrong if you minimise and simplify the number of turns. So going straight ahead and doing a 180-degree turn is better than turning in the opposite direction and then turning and turning again.

It would be different for someone doing this several times a week. For for a once-a-fortnight user of the route simplicity is better than directness.

Thanks Mrs O Bumble, simplicity is exactly what I'm looking for. Leaving sometime between between 4pm and 4:45pm and just want to get out as quickly as possible.

I'm up from 5:30am and driving and studying all day so my level of attention to a new route would be limited that late in the day.

Thanks to everyone for your replies though it was a great help. Threadneedle in theory sounds better as there is more space but I'll just have to judge the traffic at the time.

Regardless of what route you take, safe trip and...

Apu-Thank-you-come-again.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Unless it's changed recently, you can't turn right out of the Ardilaun.

• Advertisement

You're not meant to alright there's a makeshift island thing but I've seen loads of cars hump across it and turn right in the couple of times I've been there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

You're not meant to alright there's a makeshift island thing but I've seen loads of cars hump across it and turn right in the couple of times I've been there so far.

Sounds very practical and safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If that's your plan why not just break the rules further up and turn right at the lights :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I didn't say that I did that, I said I've seen other cars do it multiple times. My turn is left to the lights junction not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Is this change still considered temporary or is it going to be permanent ? Alot of parents are stopping cars in the middle of the road between the lights and Deane Roundabout to drop kids of for school which is going to lead to someone getting hurt. Is it really making a difference or just moving the traffic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is this change still considered temporary or is it going to be permanent ? Alot of parents are stopping cars in the middle of the road between the lights and Deane Roundabout to drop kids of for school which is going to lead to someone getting hurt. Is it really making a difference or just moving the traffic
    The whole purpose is to move traffic (motorist traffic only). If you suspect child neglect, contact social services immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It seems to be making a great difference. Kingston Road is moving better than it has in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I use it on a daily basis & the amount of drivers coming from knocknacarra and still turning right down threadneedle road is crazy. I'm not saying I think the new setup is good or bad but the fact it's there means it should be adhered to.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hopefully they're biding their time and will randomly station a traffic corps car there for a few days to send a strong message. Everyone has had enough time to get used to the new layout at this stage although the notices should be more obvious as per my previous post in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Hopefully they're biding their time and will randomly station a traffic corps car there for a few days to send a strong message. Everyone has had enough time to get used to the new layout at this stage although the notices should be more obvious as per my previous post in the other thread.

The notices are very obvious imo and everyone is aware of the changes now. It's just lazy drivers flagrantly disregarding the rules of the road to suit themselves. A few traffic corps posted there for a couple of days/weeks at peak traffic times including school run times will sort people out. No one will do it if they've been burnt with penalty points and fines for the offense previously.

I've been caught a few times behind cars trying to illegally turn at the junction and trying to blow them into submission with the horn is futile as they just continue to look ahead and pretend they are not aware of their illegal move or that they are holding up traffic. :mad:

• Advertisement

Good, I hope the notices are more obvious now. I was there weeks ago coming up the Taylor's Hill Rd going straight on to Kingston Rd. The only notice I saw at the time was a large sign on the far left hand side. My main thought was the notice should be attached to the lights or on the right hand side as that's the direction the idiots are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Unless it's changed recently, you can't turn right out of the Ardilaun.

You are right Ronnie you cannot turn right coming out of the ardilaun. The island is there purely for a safety reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

http://connachttribune.ie/motorists-ignore-right-turn-ban-junction-change-612/

This evening around 6pm the tailback on taylors hill was back to Ardmore (I'm guessing about 500m) all due to cars attempting to turn right, which is now prohibited. (there was lots of annoyed honking of horns)

Its a farce until the gardai start enforcement

buzz11 wrote: »
    Its a farce until the gardai start enforcement

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I passed by yesterday and still didn't see any signage on/near the traffic light facing the offenders who are insisting on turning right.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I passed by yesterday and still didn't see any signage on/near the traffic light facing the offenders who are insisting on turning right.

Did you not see that the green lights are directional now though?

There's no general green, just straight and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

The sequencing of the lights changed recently at the junction. Traffic seems to be backed up down Bishop O’Donnell Road onto Deane Roundabout after the change. The lights used to allow traffic both ways from Bishop O’Donnell Road and Threadneedle road but its change now to only allow one at a time. The turn left filter light off the Kingston Road on Bishop O’Donnell Road when traffic off Bishop O’Donnell Road turned right onto Kingston Road is also gone.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Did you not see that the green lights are directional now though?

There's no general green, just straight and left.

Sorry no I was passing the other way and was just looking for a sign attached to the lights. If they've done anything to make it more obvious that's good news.

Sorry no I was passing the other way and was just looking for a sign attached to the lights. If they've done anything to make it more obvious that's good news.

I think they've been like that since day one of the change though. It's amazing the amount of people that ignore this type of marking/lighting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I haven't been in town since last week, but then there was a big lit-up-billboard-type sign on Threadneedle Road 500m or so before the junction notifying you of the change.

Although tbh, the directional green light should be enough for any driver who's actually paying attention :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

The new sequencing with one right of way only at a time from BOD and Threadneedle Roads isn't great. Im hoping its just the council experimenting. It was backed up way passed Manor Drive on the Kingston Road at 10.30 yesterday morning, when there would usually be no/very little traffic. The there are no cars moving through the junction as the few cars that had been waiting to go through Threadneedle have done so, but the green light remains.

I think the new junction is great, but needs a few days police enforcement to stop illegal right turners.

Advertisement