Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which College would be best?

Options
  • 13-11-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I am hoping to take up a Springboard course in the New Year, specifically a course in computing.

What I would like to find out is that does anyone know if the course run by I.T Carlow (Higher Diploma in Science in Computing - Conversion course) is equal to the Waterford I.T course (Higher Diploma in Science in Computer Science - ICT Conversion Course).

Are the potential post-course job opportunities better for a particular course?
    Are the lecturers / tutors better in a particular college?

If I can get on to this course I want to make sure I pick the best institute to give me most employ-ability upon completion.

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

WIT is a much bigger college but the award is the same.
    Do you already hold a degree?

Your employability will depend a lot more on what you put in to it in the classroom and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kickstart82

I hold a BSc (Hons) in Sports Rehabilitation and an MSc in Rehabilitative Science.

I'm finding work in this current field to be sparse at best and need to be able to get a decent paying full-time job. I think I.T would be a good area to go into.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is,do you have a passion for it or is it head more then heart?
    What area of IT interests you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is,do you have a passion for it or is it head more then heart?
    What area of IT interests you?

I think this is an extremely important point. Don't just go into IT because there are lots of jobs. If you end up in a job you hate and/or have no aptitude for, one thing I can guarantee you is that you will be miserable.

On a side note, when comparing courses - always look at what level on the national qualifications framework a course is. That will go some way to helping you make a decisions. Will a company pick somebody with a post-grad from Waterford over Carlow? Well that is very, very difficult to say. Especially given the fact that with a post-grad such as this, you would be going in at entry level, where there are plenty more candidates.

Advertisement