Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens advice please

• 13-11-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Need some advice. I currently have a 60D with the following lens
    50mm
    Canon 24-105 F4L
    Canon 100-400m F4

I am debating getting a wider angle lens mainly for landscape photography and some indoor shooting.
    I am torn between the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens versus the Canon 17-40mm f4L .

From what I have read on other forums first lens is great for cropped sensor camera's (like my 60D) and the second is better on full frame camera. Second hand there is not a massive difference in price.
    One concern I have is if I change to a full frame camera the 10-22 will be redundant possibly. Would it? I would like to update to a full frame soon but it could be a year or even longer before that happens realistically.

What do you all think? Any recommendations of alternatives welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Hey All,

Need some advice. I currently have a 60D with the following lens
    50mm
    Canon 24-105 F4L
    Canon 100-400m F4

I am debating getting a wider angle lens mainly for landscape photography and some indoor shooting.
    I am torn between the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens versus the Canon 17-40mm f4L .

From what I have read on other forums first lens is great for cropped sensor camera's (like my 60D) and the second is better on full frame camera. Second hand there is not a massive difference in price.
    One concern I have is if I change to a full frame camera the 10-22 will be redundant possibly. Would it? I would like to update to a full frame soon but it could be a year or even longer before that happens realistically.

What do you all think? Any recommendations of alternatives welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi,
    I can't speak for the 10-22 , but it is an EF-S which means it would not be compatible with a Full Frame.

EF is compatible with all, and 17mm is still quite wide on a cropped sensor.

Plus when you do upgrade to FF the 17 will look glorious !

Also, L always beats non L, and the 17-40 is very nicely priced, (half the price of the 16-35 L - and pretty much same IQ)

Go for the 17-40 L , I have it and it's a great lens !

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Thanks for the response cowboyBuilder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get the L lens, much better optics even if it's not as wide as the 10-22.
    You said you're planning to upgrade to full frame so I wouldn't bother with the EFS lens.
    Canon 6D mk I will be decent price second hand next year after the release the mk II.

Effects wrote: »
    Get the L lens, much better optics even if it's not as wide as the 10-22.
    You said you're planning to upgrade to full frame so I wouldn't bother with the EFS lens.
    Canon 6D mk I will be decent price second hand next year after the release the mk II.

Thanks Effects

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was in a very similar dilemma recently, and decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to full frame. I'm so happy I did, definitely the right decision. Full frame just feels 'right' compared to crop. I have the 24-105 also and it finally makes sense on a full frame. 24 on a crop is nowhere near wide enough but works perfectly on full frame. My 70-200 is fantastic also. I then bought a 50mm f1.4 which I now love - I had a 50mm f1.8 on my 600d crop but the difference is huge.

The 6d is a fantastic camera to use, the controls, usability and also the great high iso performance. The guys above are right the 17-40 is a fantastic lens but you may get more actual benefit out of a new body than just another lens.

Just my 2 cents!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information Zascar. What type of photography do you use the 6D for? I heard it is not great for sports (Local GAA matches) or wildlife? I like shooting the above as well as landscapes so I am wondering if it suitable for me?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It only has one Cross type focus point - where the 5D has loads of them, also the 7D and 70d have a good few also. So if fast moving stuff is your forte then its probably not for you. However if you stick to the center cross type, its fine. Also since the 6D has such good low light - high iso performance, it's better than many other cameras in low light.
    You could always go for a 5D Mk2 if you dont mind the size being bigger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

I wouldn't get the 10-22 if you intend going full-frame. Maybe look at the 10-18 if you feel you need a really wide angle for the time being, it's much cheaper and seems to be of similar quality. If you get a good deal on the 10-22 used maybe go for it, but not new.

Thanks guys. 5d Mark II is a decent price in B&H. My girlfriend is going to NYC for new years so I could get her to pick it up for me.
    Exchange rate is shocking though. What do ye think?

Hi all, Just wanted to provide an update. I persuaded myself to buy a 5d Mark III yesterday. it is amazing and like Zascar said my lenses perform so much better now. I will be broke for the foreseeable future but really happy with my decision. thanks everyone for advice and help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Thanks guys. 5d Mark II is a decent price in B&H. My girlfriend is going to NYC for new years so I could get her to pick it up for me.
    Exchange rate is shocking though. What do ye think?

If only we could get deals like those advertised here in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

my2p.

I first bought 17-40mm L because if it good reviews and I wanted something wide angle.

This was back while I had 50d so not a full frame camera.

Lense were good, but not wide angle really, at least on cropped sensor.

I sold it and then I went for EF-S 10-22mm and what a fantastic lens. I instantly regretted buying the 17-40mm in first place.

10-22mm is an awesome all arounder, the wide angle photos are ultra sharp and just amazing at what they can capture.

Just to picture them,they are abit like GoPro 1080p superwide but 10X sharper.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=312255&page=442

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ptyloch

Xpro wrote: »
    my2p.

I first bought 17-40mm L because if it good reviews and I wanted something wide angle.

This was back while I had 50d so not a full frame camera.

Lense were good, but not wide angle really, at least on cropped sensor.

I sold it and then I went for EF-S 10-22mm and what a fantastic lens. I instantly regretted buying the 17-40mm in first place.

10-22mm is an awesome all arounder, the wide angle photos are ultra sharp and just amazing at what they can capture.

Just to picture them,they are abit like GoPro 1080p superwide but 10X sharper.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=312255&page=442

Great shots, I got this lens just before Xmas and am equally delighted with it, I love the look of wide angle photography. I'm going to Tralee this month for a weekend and I'm praying to any God who will listen for some good weather :D

Please let it be dry, please let it be dry ;)

I'm using the lens on a Canon 600D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

To add more confusion, another new on the market wide angle lense from Canon for APS-C cameras is EF-S 10-18mm IS

Half the price of 10-22mm and it seems to be getting some great reviews.

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/10-18mm.htm

Advertisement