Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 9 - "Sleep No More"

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I missed out on Doctor Who last weekend and watched The Zygon Inversion back to back with this episode last night and one thing that stood out for me was that there were references to 5 minutes equalling 1 month in both episodes. At the end of The Zygon Inversion, Clara said that the Doctor thought she had been dead for 5 minutes and he said that was the longest month of his life. In Sleep No More, 5 minutes in a Morpheus machine equalled a month of sleep and Clara was pulled into one of these machine. I wonder if there is some link between all of these?

I think you might be on to something there. There's been multiple cases of Clara missing time.

what if she's never woken up from the Christmas episode like? :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Kinda wish I'd followed the guy's advice at the start, and just not watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

"May the Gods look favorably upon you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

On the bright side, we have invisible London streets next week (JK Rowling has her lawyers on speed dial) and Maisie Williams back.
    She's only 18 but she is going places. Going into two handers with the likes of Capaldi and that little internet bullying piece she did earlier in the year prove that. Reece Shearsmith on the other hand was always Richard E Grant on a budget.
    As for the script-in-a-drawer theory, Mark Gatiss is an accomplished actor, documentary maker, screenwriter and probably does crochet too. And busy bees don't make great honey. He probably has a script in his mother's drawers, never mind his own. Oh look, Mark, an underpants Who. This was one of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^Maisie Williams can even do a half decent Irish accent. She did a great little film called Gold a year or so ago which also features an amazing James Nesbit 80's style PE teacher/self help guru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^Maisie Williams can even do a half decent Irish accent. She did a great little film called Gold a year or so ago which also features an amazing James Nesbit 80's style PE teacher/self help guru.

I saw that. Well worth a watch. Loose on the web as the odds of it showing up on TV are minimal. Nesbitt on holidays from Hobbit duties and obviously enjoying himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, that was pretty bad alright! As others have said, sleep dust in the corner of your eye turning into monsters? :)

That said, I think what the story was *trying* to say was that everything we saw did happen, but the reasons given for the Monsters (sleep dust, pores that were going to infect the humans etc.) was all either made up (if said by the guy who was on the space station) or just incorrectly guessed/deducted (if said by the Doctor, Clara etc.). When it comes down to it, using the Morpheus machines slowly but surely turns you into the monster, and that's due to the signal in the machine messing with your head. And that's the signal that the guy on the station implanted into the video, in the hope it would 'infect' everyone who watched it.

At least, that's what I think the plot was, and as said it was left open ended as to whether the Doctor was going to save the day or not.

The concept of this episode has a lot in common with the BBC Audio / David Tennant CD called 'Dead Air'. It too is 'found footage' (though it's audio in this case) and also has a 'signal' in the audio recording. The main different though is that 'Dead Air' was an excellent, atmospheric and moving story with a very cool 'monster' and a great plot, and 'Sleep No More' just... isn't.

If you haven't heard Dead Air, I truly recommend it...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A poor idea executed poorly. Even though last series had some pretty poor episodes, Capaldi's performance saved them all. Not here though, where both he and Clara were pretty bland.

It can only get better from here though, and it looks like it could be a great final set of episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

malcy wrote: »

Mark Gatiss is my top choice to take over as showrunner. A great writing talent and a fan of the show who i think gets it a bit more than Moffat does.

Yes...I'd go along with that. IMHO Moffat has never come close to Russell T Davies whom he succeeded as exec producer and head writed. I had great hopes and he's been very prolific but I can't help but feel that there's a certain amount of formulaic writing going on and that he just has his fingers in too many pies....

[Mod Note - following spoiler is for Episode 10 NOT Episode 9]
    Sorry to see JLC go, although I never realised quite how eh....well-endowed she was until the side shot just before her demise... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ha! My wife pointed that out as well, she was noticeably a lot more 'booby' in this episode than in others, and that shot showed that to its full effect!

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well fcuk, thanks for spoiling this week's episode in last weeks thread. Maybe spoiler tag that bit in case anyone else who hasn't seen the newest episode reads this thread. :( ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well fcuk, thanks for spoiling this week's episode in last weeks thread. Maybe spoiler tag that bit in case anyone else who hasn't seen the newest episode reads this thread. :( ffs

+1

I haven't seen it yet and now I know...

Can a mod remove it? For others obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's spoiler tagged now, but it should still be deleted - an unexplained spoiler tag in last weeks thread looks ok to read.

Edit: Thanks for adding the warning, hopefully it spares anyone else the spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Can anyone tell me, so i dont spoil it for myself, does episode 10 link in with the last 2 episodes? I did read that there would be mostly 2 parters this season with a standalone episode and a 3 parter and i've decided to watch them all together instead of waiting a week between each one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Can anyone tell me, so i dont spoil it for myself, does episode 10 link in with the last 2 episodes? I did read that there would be mostly 2 parters this season with a standalone episode and a 3 parter and i've decided to watch them all together instead of waiting a week between each one.

No. 9 is standalone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No. 9 is standalone.

It's so standalone it almost stands alone from the entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It's so standalone it almost stands alone from the entire series.

So standalone it should stand alone in the corner and think about what it did.

Advertisement