Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Around Dublin

Options
  • 13-11-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

So, next April when I am back in the office I am highly thinking of getting a fold up bike in order to cycle to work when I get off the train as I will be working the other side of the city. I've worked around there before and it takes a good 25-40 mins to get their by bus and the 40-50 mins walking, along with a 25-35 min train journey it's not ideal.

A few questions as I have never cycled around Dublin before:

1. How dangerous actually is it?
    2. The route I am thinking of doing is about 5km, and from Google Maps it's estimating 22 mins - which would be great as it would cut the bus/walking journey in half. Is Google Maps trustworthy?
    3. What kind of gear should I buy for the bike?
    4. Also, I will be steering clear of the quays - that seems most dangerous, is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

>> 1. How dangerous actually is it? <<
    As dangerous as you want it to be. :D

>> 2. The route I am thinking of doing is about 5km, and from Google Maps it's estimating 22 mins - which would be great as it would cut the bus/walking journey in half. Is Google Maps trustworthy? <<
    I doubt it will take more than 15 mins, but it depends on traffic lights and how fast you can be bothered to cycle.

>> 3. What kind of gear should I buy for the bike? <<
    For the bike, or for you?

>> 4. Also, I will be steering clear of the keys - that seems most dangerous, is this true? <<
    No, they're generally fine. On the northside the buses can pass quite close, and you have to be wary of left-turning vehicles, but if you keep your wits about you you'll have no issues. On the southside the traffic is quite fast and the lanes split and merge a bit, but nothing so bad that would make me choose another route.

I've done the quays in both directions daily for about six years and I'm not dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not dangerous at all. Statistically safer than walking.
    2. The route I am thinking of doing is about 5km, and from Google Maps it's estimating 22 mins - which would be great as it would cut the bus/walking journey in half. Is Google Maps trustworthy?
    Google Maps isn't great for estimating cycling times. It also gives some seriously dodgy routing advice.
    The slowest part of crossing the city is being held up by cars and traffic lights. 22mins for 5km across the city sounds about right though. It'll vary by no more than about five minutes on any given day.
    Have mudguards on the bike and some compact raingear to wear on the rare day that it's raining (no sarcasm). You also need lights. Front light is the most important, the brighter the better. A €10 led front light won't cut it.
    You'll still need a pair of gloves in April. You don't need cycling gloves for a 5km trip, a pair of standard wooly gloves will do just fine.

You probably won't be leaving your bike anywhere outside, but if you are, a good lock is essential. Kryptonite Evo mini would be perfect.
    4. Also, I will be steering clear of the keys - that seems most dangerous, is this true?
    Nah, but it is quite intimidating if you're not a seasoned cyclist.

Give us the start and end there and you'll get tips on the best route here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Lumen wrote: »
    >> 3. What kind of gear should I buy for the bike? <<
    For the bike, or for you?

Thanks for the response - and yes, more so gear for me than the bike - is it just a helmet, lock, wet gear, high vis jacket etc. or am I missing something?

I suppose an extra question on the bike itself:

Are the fold up bikes easy to carry around if you weren't cycling it? And are they as fast/easy to cycle as a normal mountain or racing bike? (sorry if that's a stupid question).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

seamus wrote: »
    Not dangerous at all. Statistically safer than walking.
    Google Maps isn't great for estimating cycling times. It also gives some seriously dodgy routing advice.
    The slowest part of crossing the city is being held up by cars and traffic lights. 22mins for 5km across the city sounds about right though. It'll vary by no more than about five minutes on any given day.
    Have mudguards on the bike and some compact raingear to wear on the rare day that it's raining (no sarcasm). You also need lights. Front light is the most important, the brighter the better. A €10 led front light won't cut it.
    You'll still need a pair of gloves in April. You don't need cycling gloves for a 5km trip, a pair of standard wooly gloves will do just fine.

You probably won't be leaving your bike anywhere outside, but if you are, a good lock is essential. Kryptonite Evo mini would be perfect.

Nah, but it is quite intimidating if you're not a seasoned cyclist.

Personally speaking if I only had the one light to use I'd be happier to have a rear light. Generally one doesn't face traffic iykwim. At a right turn junction, stopped up, I'd feel safer in the knowledge that traffic behind can see my rear light. It's funny, even as a cyclist and motorist myself, it's edifying to see this light on a cyclist especially on a dim morning or evening.

Start cycling from Heuston and up to the Burlington Road/Fitzwilliam Square area.

So I was thinking from the station to go up right at the Luas tracks and down the back of Guinness and then turn right at Christchurch and make my way towards Camden Street and up the top of there turn right and be at the top of Harcourt street and along the canal and be just 5 mins or thereabouts from my destination from there.

It's a few months away but said I might aswell get a head start on thinking of routes and what cycling might be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

You should certainly do it. It's going to be a lot more convenient and faster to cycle between those two areas than it would be to walk or get public transport.

Steevens Lane does not seem to be legal to cycle on, Trams Only it says, but you could always walk up there if you wanted to. The quays are actually fine to cycle on in my opinion, with the north side being a bit better because the lanes are better defined. If I were you I'd go along the north quays to O'Connell Bridge, go around Trinity to Kildare Street and then up to Stephens Green for either Baggot Street or Leeson Street depending on which is better for you final destination. That is straightforward and perfectly safe. No doubt you'll find a route that suits your personal preferences better after a bit of daily commuting. 20 minutes is pretty reasonable for that.

Folding bikes are supposed to be pretty easy to carry when folded so I doubt you'll have any problem with that. Another alternative is the Dublin Bikes since there is a station for them near Heuston now.

For that sort of cycling I would wear the same gear I'd wear if I was walking it. Raincoat if you think you need one, gloves if you think your hands will be cold, and so on. You'll need lights, even if you think you will never be cycling in the dark, all it takes is one unexpected late night or a terribly overcast morning and you'll wish you had them. You can get both Dahon and Brompton bikes with hub dynamos which are expensive initially but are very easy and possibly save money in the long run depending on how many times you leave the battery operated lights on by accident. I'm not sure you do need a lock, if your itinerary is home/train/office then it will never be anywhere out of your sight really so you won't need one. If you plan to run in to the shops on the way to the train then you do, I wouldn't leave my bike unlocked for two minutes while I was in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - I wouldn't get too worried about equipment until you trial it for a while. I don't think wet gear, gloves or any other special clothing is necessary on a 20 min ride.
    Personally speaking if I only had the one light to use I'd be happier to have a rear light. Generally one doesn't face traffic iykwim. At a right turn junction, stopped up, I'd feel safer in the knowledge that traffic behind can see my rear light. It's funny, even as a cyclist and motorist myself, it's edifying to see this light on a cyclist especially on a dim morning or evening.
    Leaving legalities to one side I'd totally disagree. A front light is essential in an urban environment for several reasons:

1. To alert traffic emerging from side roads, or making a right turn across your path, to your presence.
    2. To aid filtering - a flashing front light in a vehicle's side mirror will aid drivers' awareness.
    3. Left turning vehicles ditto.
    4. Errant pedestrians are more likely to notice you.

While a rear light is also essential, it will not make any difference in the above scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chops018 wrote: »
    ...So I was thinking from the station to go up right at the Luas tracks and down the back of Guinness and then turn right at Christchurch and make my way towards Camden Street and up the top of there turn right and be at the top of Harcourt street and along the canal and be just 5 mins or thereabouts from my destination from there....
    Another simpler option would be to turn right at Heuston Station onto St John's Road West and then onto the SCR and then follow the canal from Dolphin Road to the Burlington Road area.

(As has been said, it's illegal to cycle on Steeven's Lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's pretty normal to feel like the rear one is more important, since that's an area you can't see. So the rear light offers some peace of mind.

But in reality the majority of accidents involve a vehicle crossing the cyclist's path, rather than striking from behind.

This is why it's more important to have a good front light. Not to say a rear light isn't important, but I'd be comfortable enough using a cheap LED as my backup rear light. There's no way I'd use it on the front.

This is why it's more important to have a good front light. Not to say a rear light isn't important, but I'd be comfortable enough using a cheap LED as my backup rear light. There's no way I'd use it on the front.
    Well, flashing lights shouldn't be very powerful anyway, so a cheap one is fine (or better) than some obnoxious blinder.

Bike lights are a solved problem now, most of the expensive ones compete on largely unnecessary features. I reckon AA or AAA-powered ones (rechargables if so inclined) are the most reliable - I've had a few USB-charged ones and after a year or two of use the batteries degrade significantly. Doesn't stop me buying new ones though, can't resist a gadget.

On the subject of generally useful kit, I got one of these last week...

http://getfinn.com/en/

...and it's brilliant for mounting a smartphone for navigation or as an emergency backup light.

Of course I didn't have it on me the other night when my front light ran out of battery, so I had to ride one-handed in heavy rain and wind as I pointed my phone in the direction of oncoming traffic. :rolleyes:

Well past time to dig out the dynamo rig for winter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Lumen wrote: »
    Of course I didn't have it on me the other night when my front light ran out of battery, so I had to ride one-handed in heavy rain and wind as I pointed my phone in the direction of oncoming traffic. :rolleyes:

Well past time to dig out the dynamo rig for winter...
    or just always have spare batteries on you

Icepick wrote: »
    or just always have spare batteries on you
    Doesn't work with a USB chargeable light with a sealed battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's pretty normal to feel like the rear one is more important, since that's an area you can't see. So the rear light offers some peace of mind.

But in reality the majority of accidents involve a vehicle crossing the cyclist's path, rather than striking from behind.

I don't know. I commute 23k each way daily into D1 on the bike and the type of people that pull across in front of you are the type that don't see you whether you have no front light, an unsuitable blinker, or a proper front light. Almost on a daily basis for the last couple of weeks I've had at least one incident that has forced me into some sort of evasive manoeuvre, emergency braking, whatever, and I have a good proper light. I can climb Sally Gap at night with it and have no problem lighting pitch black country roads at 60kph plus with it on high power. People still don't "see me".

If I had to commute home any day with a missing light I would choose to have my rear operational every time. You can moderate your speed to suit where you are without a front light. You can assume even more than usual that every vehicle might do something stupid and can cruise along slowly. I would far prefer to have my powerful rear light to make motorists aware that there's a cyclist ahead. Generally, the traffic closing behind you is doing so at a much higher speed than one that will end up crossing your path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would you think about using the Dublin Bikes instead? Seems like exactly the kind of journey they would be made for.

Have a look at the stations around Heuston at your intended travel times via their website or app to see if there are typically bikes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Front and rear lights, bell - pedestrians and most drivers react instantly to the sound of a bicycle bell as a gentle warning. Mudguards of course.

Rain jacket and trousers. Good cycling gloves make a big difference when it's cold - Sealskinz are excellent; I'm told the Aldi ones are good too. A cap and scarf for when it's cold.

A floor-standing pump for home, and keep the tyres pumped to the correct pressure, you'll get fewer punctures. You can also carry a puncture repair kit and short pump for instant repairs; I don't.

Steevens Lane is not only illegal to cycle (at the moment; I'd have hope of a cycling lane there at some stage) – but also a steep hill.

I'm with you on the quays; I find that people drive too fast and not cautiously enough there, and avoid them when possible.

Personally, I prefer to cycle on streets with less traffic. Very trafficky streets like, for instance, Dame Street and George's Street, can become chaotic and hard for drivers to navigate, especially on rainy nights with shiny streets reflecting back every light, and a confused driver is a dangerous driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

So, next April when I am back in the office I am highly thinking of getting a fold up bike in order to cycle to work when I get off the train as I will be working the other side of the city. I've worked around there before and it takes a good 25-40 mins to get their by bus and the 40-50 mins walking, along with a 25-35 min train journey it's not ideal.

A few questions as I have never cycled around Dublin before:

1. How dangerous actually is it? (a lot depends on your route)
    2. The route I am thinking of doing is about 5km, and from Google Maps it's estimating 22 mins - which would be great as it would cut the bus/walking journey in half. Is Google Maps trustworthy? (i find it ok with time estimate -routing not always ideal)
    3. What kind of gear should I buy for the bike? Light stuff thats, windproof and will dry quick
    4. Also, I will be steering clear of the quays - that seems most dangerous, is this true? Depends where you going on it. I find it ok

Thanks in advance.

Come in on a sat/sun and practise a couple of different routes using Dublin bikes. Sometimes I choose a longer route if its a nice route. Also dismount and walk where you don't like to cycle.

And there's the hi-viz and helmet question. I use a bizarre hi-viz gilet designed to make drivers' heads whip around as they go "Jesus! That's horrible!" to get their attention. I'm shopping for a helmet with MIPS, a system that allows more movement of the brain inside the skull in the case of hitting your head.

Front and rear lights, bell - pedestrians and most drivers react instantly to the sound of a bicycle bell as a gentle warning. Mudguards of course.

Rain jacket and trousers. Good cycling gloves make a big difference when it's cold - Sealskinz are excellent; I'm told the Aldi ones are good too. A cap and scarf for when it's cold.

A floor-standing pump for home, and keep the tyres pumped to the correct pressure, you'll get fewer punctures. You can also carry a puncture repair kit and short pump for instant repairs; I don't.

Steevens Lane is not only illegal to cycle (at the moment; I'd have hope of a cycling lane there at some stage) – but also a steep hill.

I'm with you on the quays; I find that people drive too fast and not cautiously enough there, and avoid them when possible.

Personally, I prefer to cycle on streets with less traffic. Very trafficky streets like, for instance, Dame Street and George's Street, can become chaotic and hard for drivers to navigate, especially on rainy nights with shiny streets reflecting back every light, and a confused driver is a dangerous driver.

+1 on all this. Especially a good pump.

Practise changing a tube at home with the tools you have with you. Or just don't bother, fold the bike and bring it to a bike repair shop. Either.

...Are the fold up bikes easy to carry around if you weren't cycling it? And are they as fast/easy to cycle as a normal mountain or racing bike? (sorry if that's a stupid question).

You won't carry a folding bike. You can just wheel it. Some can be wheeled when folded. All are too heavy to carry very far. Most mine gets carried is from the front door of the office to my desk. Or on/off the train. Once on the platform I unfold the bike and wheel it.

Mine has 6 gears. No problem with speed. But you don't need to go fast. You'll be held up with lights and such that it will make little difference to overall journey time. I'd probably get one with out gears next time, as makes the bike lighter, simpler to maintain. If you had hills on your route (and you have a slight climb from Heuston to Canal) then you might need gears.

You're main issue will be space on the train. If its packed, something like a Brompton is so much smaller than other folding bikes.

And Bromptons can be had with dicky little wheels on the back carrier so you can wheel it short distances while folded.

• Advertisement

Some great posts there, thanks for all the replies everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its not
    Yes but you will do it in far less after you get used to the route
    Lights, front and back, everything else is an optional extra. A repair kit or a spare tyre, as well as tyre levers are also important but at 5km, not essential.
    4. Also, I will be steering clear of the quays - that seems most dangerous, is this true?
    Some will say this, stay alert and focused, I have never had an issue.

Hi all,

Just said that I would bump this instead of starting another thread since I am the OP.

So I didn't bother going with the bike. Changed to a diesel car as we have free parking in work. It is only costing me €40-50 on diesel which is great as it's almost 30 miles up and back each day.

However, I am not enjoying sitting in the car for nearly 2 hours every morning, and then another hour in the evening. I leave around 7.25 and don't arrive till around 9.10. Evenings are ok generally as I don't leave till after 6pm and am home in about 50 minutes.

I generally don't get given out to in work for being late because most evenings I would stay later. But I would still prefer to get in on time and not sit in a car for 2 hours every morning.

Anyway, with all the works in the city centre etc, do the above answers still apply regarding cycling?

I keep being told not to do it and that it isn't safe.

TLDR: Do the above answers still apply, generally is cycling across the city safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I you want to use the Steevens lane route the only part that's illegal to use is the part between Johns road junction and the old entrance to Steevens hospital, about 100 metres, after that it's open to all traffic. So those 100 metres could be walked.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3450884,-6.2914059,3a,75y,70.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbxDHgmZYjmM2_WzxM1XyLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I haven't read the thread bar the OP and the most recent but in short yes it's perfectly safe so long as you remain aware and don't take chances. I'm up and down the quays between Heston and custom house daily and no problems.

I did stop using college green recently às it's a mess but other than that it's grand.

I guess maybe one thing I'd say is with the evenings/mornings being dark you should consider how confident you will be cycling in such conditions, perhaps getting a bit of practice in around where you live would be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, I don't cycle through town at rush hour that often, but the odd time at evening rush hour, and overall it's ok, but there are bits of College Green that are awful as things stand with the Luas cross-city works, and I wheel the bike round these.

(It should be self-evident, but people who don't cycle through town on the whole have no idea what cycling through town is like. Not that that stops them opining.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyway, with all the works in the city centre etc, do the above answers still apply regarding cycling?

TLDR: Do the above answers still apply, generally is cycling across the city safe?

It's safe as long as you are extremely vigilant and anticipate the mistakes that drivers regularly make (left turn without checking wing mirror, opening doors without checking wing mirror, sticking nose out at junction into cycle lane, etc.).

If you go at a controlled speed and watch the road ahead of you you will be fine, just be mindful of the fact that the standard of driving to the letter of the law in this country is abysmal. Cyclists are just as bad but luckily don't do anywhere near as much damage as the bad drivers do.

Cycling is so much more enjoyable than taking the car in regardless of how much time it saves, great way to start and finish a days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

By the way, does anyone know when the cycleway along the north quays will be built and come into use, once the council finally decides on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rubbish, presumably being told by people who do not cycle, I imagine they would know best :pac:
    It is. keep an eye out around you, and, barring either an immediate threat to your life or an emergency vehicle, follow the rules. Solves most potential issues, which are generally minor anyway. Always smile, also helps.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know when the cycleway along the north quays will be built and come into use, once the council finally decides on it?
    thumbnail_20160425_caption_winner%20900px_1461941267016_37225970_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cycling in Dublin City can be very safe if you remember the onus is on you yourself to stay safe and be smart about it. I've been cycling in and out of town from Firhouse for over 10 years with one (very minor) tip from a car, which actually happened about 2 minutes from my house rather than in town.

I hate to say it, but I'm surprised there aren't more cyclists injured in town with the way some behave, but the good thing about that is, if you have your wits about you, you should be absolutely fine. People do stupid stuff on bikes, in cars and while walking, and being a rules-of-the-road-evangelist can't stop it happening.

There are a lot of things you learn over the years from experience in traffic, but they can all be put in one group - anticipation.

Examples:
    - You're in a cycle lane and up ahead there is a car turning right. You should anticipate that cars behind them may undertake the waiting car by pulling into the cycle lane without checking mirrors. They're wrong, yes, but be ready.

- You're in an on-road cycle track on a quiet enough main road. A car is approaching from a side road on your left about to turn onto the main road and there's plenty of visibility (no buildings, etc, like an estate entrance). You should anticipate that the driver will likely glance down the road behind you, subconsciously only looking for cars. You can usually check this one by trying to make eye contact with the driver, if you do, they see you. If they're staring into the distance behind you, be careful.

- Don't go up the side of a truck/car/bus thats about to turn left.

The list goes on but really it's just about keeping an eye on other motorists/cyclists/peds around you. The first example I've often seen cyclists speed up, shout and try and hold their positions. The second example is how I got hit by a car, albeit at about 5km/h. The third example should be obvious, but I see it a couple of times a week :(

Advertisement