Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Around Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chops018 wrote: »
    I keep being told not to do it and that it isn't safe.
    Let me guess, by a well-meaning but risk-averse family member who hasn't cycled for the best part of 50 years?
    I've heard elderly relatives remark about how dangerous it is to walk around the city now, how unsafe the roads have become.

Even though in absolute and relative terms, the roads are far safer now than they were when today's pensioners were young.

So take all worry and caution from inexperienced, and especially older, people with a large chunk of skepticism.
    TLDR: Do the above answers still apply, generally is cycling across the city safe?
    Yes.

And that's not a "yes, if", or "yes, but". There are no additional safety precautions you need to take above those that a car would require. Use lighting, observe, observe, observe, obey the rules of the road and indicate your intent and position clearly to all road users as early as possible.

The one thing you have in your favour that a vehicle doesn't - when in doubt, you can dismount and walk. One way street? No right turn? Dismount, walk, continue cycling, ten minutes saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I've only started cycling in and out recently and the only tips I can give as take it at an easy pace in city centre, Never had an accident myself but i've seen peds walk out and people smash into them because they're going to fast, i've seen people nearly go into the side of buses trying to get past them as they're pulling in. If you can try and Avoid college green, it's an absolute mess!

Its also great exercise, got my fitness levels right up and the weights steadily heading in the down direction so its definitely worth ditching the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Danbo! wrote: »

- Don't go up the left side of a truck/car/bus thats about to turn left.

T(

Don't assume they will indicate if they intend turning left. Avoid passing trucks / buses on the left at all unless they are actually stopped and you will pass them before they move.

Probably the single most important safety tip of all.

Also buy yourself some cycling/ running tights, great to wear under shorts on your cycle to work during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My standard equipment is:
    • Repair kit (tyre levers, spare tube, puncture repair kit, mini-pump, multitool, some other stuff that's not strictly necessary)
    • Lights
    • Rain gear
    • Two u-locks, one that's top of the range
    • Two changes of t-shirt in a large sandwich bag

And that's about it. I wear whatever of my clothes first come to hand in the chest of drawers in the morning. I've had much that arrangement for pretty much decades now.

I have a reflective belt (re-purposed Sam Browne) that goes around my satchel that might add some visibility and helps to keep it closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

All of the above, plus a pump, and a €50 note in the repair kit in case of need. And a change of socks. And tissues. And a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi all.

I just want to say thanks for all the replies. They are all really helpful.

I went ahead and got a second hand fold up bike for €100 this evening. Delighted with it, seems to be in great condition. My father said if in a few weeks or whatever if I decide cycling isn't for me then he will take it off my hands, which is good. He is going to buy lights for it tomorrow for me and I will look into getting some more gear over the weekend, and then I will hopefully start getting the train again and cycling to work from the station when I arrive.
    seamus wrote: »
    Let me guess, by a well-meaning but risk-averse family member who hasn't cycled for the best part of 50 years?
    I've heard elderly relatives remark about how dangerous it is to walk around the city now, how unsafe the roads have become.

Even though in absolute and relative terms, the roads are far safer now than they were when today's pensioners were young.

So take all worry and caution from inexperienced, and especially older, people with a large chunk of skepticism.

Yes, it's my father expressing concerns. He is a well seasoned cyclist however. He used to do well over 20 miles a day. He only does around 10 now though. However he never cycled around Dublin (not that I know of anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Recent weeks there's the fun of footpath repairs that show little concern for cyclists. Now a lot of footpaths are dreadful. My Mam fell badly on one recently, but a lot of the works show no concern for cyclists, but that's the usual way of things. Overall things aren't bad. A person should be watchful, perhaps avoid distractions like music. Pedestrians are the most unpredictable, and some seem to like being pr*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Fian wrote: »
    Don't assume they will indicate if they intend turning left. Avoid passing trucks / buses on the left at all unless they are actually stopped and you will pass them before they move.

I think this is worth reiterating. I've even started slowing when I get passed by a bus and i know a bus stop is upcoming (so basically the entire north quays) or if i get passed and there's a left turn ahead. I also used to be a bit more gung ho about overtaking other cyclists but I'm really not that keen to get to the office these days anyway if I'm being honest. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fian wrote: »
    +1 - and if they start to move with you alongside them, stop if there's any chance that they make take an unindicated left. i.e. stop before they get to the possible left hand turn.

Advertisement