Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Christmas whisk[e]ys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bought powers 3 swallows yesterday in molloys for €40.

Seems tesco are doin it on sale for €37 if you can find one stocking it.

Anyway lovely whiskey.

Really came into its own as it warmed my hand. Like any whiskey I suppose but yeah really noticed a difference in flavour and was more smooth also.

I still need to get my bottle of yellow spot but there's plenty of time yet.

Has aldi got any Xmas specials in yet?

I think they had a madly peaty scotch last year if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

See that finedrams have increase postage to €15 now (was only €10 last week)

Pulled he plug on 15yo Redbreast, Nikka from the barrel, along with some 25yo samples (for the son) €150 all in.

That's it now ........until I look in the Celtic Whiskey shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

L1011 wrote: »
    The lidl vouchers in the tabloids today lead me to buying their Abrachan Christmas special as it became so cheap added to my normal shop. Last night years was decent but this may be a totally different blend
    Anyone tried this one yet? Looks a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Anyone tried this one yet? Looks a great price.

"To be avoided" if this review is anything to go by......
    http://whiskybelfast.blogspot.ie/2015/03/abrachan-lidl-blended-malt-review.html?m=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone used whiskysite.nl recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

dos29 wrote: »
    http://whiskybelfast.blogspot.ie/2015/03/abrachan-lidl-blended-malt-review.html?m=1

That's a very harsh review imo.
    I picked up a bottle and while it isn't my cup of tea style wise it is good value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blew my Supervalu loyalty points on seriously subsidising a bottle of Crested 10 despite my promise that I was done. That's three bottles since! Only two tots taken in total from them even

See that finedrams have increase postage to €15 now (was only €10 last week)

Pulled he plug on 15yo Redbreast, Nikka from the barrel, along with some 25yo samples (for the son) €150 all in.

That's it now ........until I look in the Celtic Whiskey shop

Goodies arrived today - all intact and well wrapped (even Redbreast bottle wrapped in tissue in its own box).
    Ordered last Thursday evening so delivered in a week.

Now must keep away from shops .....

Picked up a bottle of the Connemara single malt last night. Obviously not in the class of its Scottish peatty cousins but not a bad drop.

Its a lot more pleasant with a tiny drop of water as opposed to neat. Not bad for €42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Avoid like the plague.
    Awful IMHO. Pure muck.

I picked up a Jack Daniels single barrel last week, very nice indeed. I also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve today. Any other good bourbons available for around €40 or €50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

OldRio wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague.
    Awful IMHO. Pure muck.

It gets reasonable reviews on whiskybase.

https://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/67197/abrachan-blended-malt-scotch-whisky

I picked up a Jack Daniels single barrel last week, very nice indeed. I also got a bottle of Woodford Reserve today. Any other good bourbons available for around €40 or €50?

Just get 2 bottles of Woodford :D

Bulleit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Recently got an Aberlour 15 and Nikka Taketsuru 17. The Nikka is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I got a good few whiskies this Christmas. The only other ibe I'll probably get us the new Powers single cask for the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

Other than that, I picked up the two new LMdW Karuizawas, the Whisky Show Karuuzawa 1980 and the Exclusive Malts 1977 blended malt.

Jameson 12 is a lovely Christmas whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Only 2 more sleeps til i crack the Jack Daniels Silver Select that has been eyeballing me from my drink cabinet for two months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Got a bottle of Gentleman Jack this evening to go with the Redbreast 12yo and Greenspot for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Guys.

Have you tried O'Reillys whiskey on offer in Tesco half price to 14 euro. Think it comes from the Cooley stable.

Also I see that Lidl whiskey Dundalgan did very well in the international food and drink awards getting outstanding silver along with green spot and red beast 15 yo and 21 yo to name but two. Could it really be that fine.

How do you guys rate these two. I'm a complete novice but do enjoy a Red Breast when I get a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Got the oul' fella a bottle of Yellow Spot. I'm not a whiskey drinker but I'm sorely tempted to crack it meself. It just looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

An File wrote: »
    I've had it in my head for ages that I'd get myself a bottle of Yellow Spot. I got the Teeling Single Malt for my birthday and I've barely touched it yet (took a break from drinking for a while) and I have a bit of Green Spot and Laphroaig still to finish off as well.

Indeed - I'd add the Green Spot too: more affordable cousin of the Yella Fella, but still a grand tipple. Unfortunately, there's only a little taste of my Teeling Silver Reserve (also a birthday present) remaining so that'll only last minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Two more bottles of mano a lamh arrived this morning and i cant see myself still having them in 2016 with all the brothers being around this year.

Gift of a Jameson today - its appreciated and will be drunk even if I'd not buy it myself; and I broke my no more rule *again* due to a discounted Bush 10.

I'm tempted to lock away my OBriens card and let my partner manage my debit card until my birthday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I went into the celtic whiskey shop for a 10yo laphroaig but ended up coming out with an 18yo Longrow. Decision was made after a taste. Love the smokiness and the salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Have a bottle of Green Spot and Yellow spot. Delivered from O'Briens, the Yellow was the same price as what the Green spot cost locally. I'm really looking forward to these as a lot of boardsies have talked them up (probably overly so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cracked open the powers 3 swallows. Lovely I have to say.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Ah well F you anyway!!! I wanted to try something different (usually go for something Jameson, green or yellow spot or redbreast). Was in O'Briens last night and was going to go for Gentleman Jack or 3 Seallows. The guy behind the counter convinced me on gentleman jack.... Cracked it open last night and it was only grand.... Wish I bought the 3 swallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Nice selection here this year.

Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve, first time trying this; it's like silk I normally go for the peatier, smokier end but I'm really taken with this dram.

Caol Ila 12 Yr; old more my style and another recent discovery for me and its rivaling Talisker 10 as a my favorite drop.

And of course the aforementioned Talisker 10 is on the list too.

Have a merry and malty Christmas:)

A further, and I suspect last at this stage, gift of a Teeling Small Batch tonight. Cracked it with the giver, and its damn good.

Being known as "liking whiskey" gets a varied range of drinkable presents!

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Yeah I grabbed a bottle of this last week. I'm half way through it already!

Bought a bottle of yellow spot and feelings single malt yesterday though thankfully just as a back up you know.

Damn o Briens sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Got another bottle of Jimmy Cask Mate and the bottle of Teelings Single Malt I got the other day has somehow "fallen open" ;)

Happy Christmas all !!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just realized all my Whisky is from Scotland, no bad thing really but I should get a Red Breast or something to keep in touch. Anyway, went with a bottle of Glenlivet 15 YO French Oak Finish.

Never been let down by Glenlivet and this is no exception. This whisky really shows the generalization posted above about scotch whisky doesn't really hold true, at least not when it comes to Speyside.

Anyway, Happy Christmas everyone and enjoy whatever you are drinking tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Going to have a Redbreast 21 after dinner, best whiskey in the world. Followed by Powers John's Lane , another wonderful whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

buck65 wrote: »
    Going to have a Redbreast 21 after dinner, best whiskey in the world. Followed by Powers John's Lane , another wonderful whiskey.

/bestmontypythonvoice You lucky bastard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Frynge wrote: »
    Two more bottles of mano a lamh arrived this morning and i cant see myself still having them in 2016 with all the brothers being around this year.

One down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Frynge wrote: »
    One down.

Mine didn't last till today unfortunately.
    Might grab two more.
    How do you find it compared to the rest of the range?

Happy Christmas everyone.

'Nikka from the barrel' cracked open last evening (after a few pints in town) - lovely stuff with a small drop of water for me ....

Bought a bottle of Caskmates as a last minute buy and cracked it open this morning with my 80yr dad plus brother and son as a christmas day starter drink - went down really smooth (added just a small drop of water), nearly all gone, perfectly suited for the shxxxxty weather day we have.

Might crack open the Redbreast 15yo or Bushmills 16yo malt after dinner - need to eat food soon....

Merry christmas to all, enjoy the good whiskey purchased over the week/month/year

Just got a present of 18yo JP Wiser (Canadian Whiskey) as a present. Very smooth I have to say

Just cracked open the yellow spot and its every bit as good as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm back in the door, after doing all the house visits, and acting as a taxi driver.

I'm sitting down in front of the fire and next to me I have
    Teeling single grain,
    Teeling small batch, and
    Teeling single malt.

Which one should I crack open. ?

There is also a powers three swallows and a jameson caskmates, but I've never tried anything from teelings.

Single Malt, then Small Batch and Single Grain.

You'll end up going back to the Single Malt though

Trond wrote: »

Water?
    I usually add a tear drop off water to whisk(e)y

pa990 wrote: »
    Water?
    I usually add a tear drop off water to whisk(e)y

Yup a very small drop to open her up is welcome.

I got a bottle of the Teeling single malt this Christmas too and had it last night. Really nice glass of whiskey. Can't say about the others as I haven't had them.

I have the 3 swallows also but personally I'd go with the Teeling single malt over it. Both really nice though so it's a win win whatever you chose

Had a few glasses of Single Malt.
    Thena hot whisky Jameson
    Now I'm settling into the 3swallows

Had a few glasses of Single Malt.
    Thena hot whisky Jameson
    Now I'm settling into the 3swallows

Lots of people raving about it for the price.

Im mainly on the beer today. Had a couple of Old Fashioned earlier, really nice drink. Think the 3 measures of Old Fashioned was a bit much in retrospect

• Advertisement

Lots of people raving about it for the price.

Im mainly on the beer today. Had a couple of Old Fashioned earlier, really nice drink. Think the 3 measures of Old Fashioned was a bit much in retrospect

I'm much preferring the 3swallows over the single malt.

But I've had a relatively light day of drinking.

I definitely will pick up another bottle of it, to keep in the cupboard.

A great whiskey for its price.

I'm much preferring the 3swallows over the single malt.

But I've had a relatively light day of drinking.

I definitely will pick up another bottle of it, to keep in the cupboard.

A great whiskey for its price.

I'll defo pick up a bottle in the new year. Im a massive fan of Johns Lane so v interested in the 3 swallows.

Sipping a couple of Connemaras at the moment watching Airplane! Not a bad drop but not as good as some of the Scottish peaty numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Finally got to chill out with my own 3 swallows and and like others, enjoying with Airplane. Do not see this bottle lasting long. Just checked Tesco app to see if they still have it on special price and I'm sickened it's gone back up to €45 from €36. Was gonna grab 3 bottles with a 20 off 100 voucher!
    Still, worth the higher price if I'm honest, I personally think it's much nicer than the 12yo.

Finally got to chill out with my own 3 swallows and and like others, enjoying with Airplane. Do not see this bottle lasting long. Just checked Tesco app to see if they still have it on special price and I'm sickened it's gone back up to €45 from €36. Was gonna grab 3 bottles with a 20 off 100 voucher!
    Still, worth the higher price if I'm honest, I personally think it's much nicer than the 12yo.

Do your next big shop in Dunnes and use the €10 off voucher and its €30 a bottle. Ive a couple knocking around that i didnt use as they'd sold out of anything decent by xmas eve.

Seem strangely bullet proof to alcohol tonight, expensive times :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

^^ Bulletproof to alcohol...
    I like that. Sipping away on Jameson black barrel here, the Christmas tree lights are on, watching a few movies
    And for some reason bulletproof to alcohol, and sleep. Tis lovely

• Advertisement
Advertisement