Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGuirks for Cork

• 13-11-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

McGuirks are to open soon in a unit at Kinsale commercial park , near the magic roundabout. Drove in for a look today and they are fitting it out. Mahers are closing their golf shop in Penrose Wharf.. One in , one out. Personally I think we are very well catered for already with a few good pro shops, halfpenny, Nevada Bobs and American golf ..I've never been in a McGuirks so maybe they have something different to offer ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

McGuirks are to open soon in a unit at Kinsale commercial park , near the magic roundabout. Drove in for a look today and they are fitting it out. Mahers are closing their golf shop in Penrose Wharf.. One in , one out. Personally I think we are very well catered for already with a few good pro shops, halfpenny, Nevada Bobs and American golf ..I've never been in a McGuirks so maybe they have something different to offer ?

Its purely to compete with Halpennys. Makes no commerical sense to come down here. There's not enough business here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I think you'll see a price war, try and put one or two of the others out of business. Bigger slice of the pie later on for them.

The market is really only big enough for 2 big stores in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think you'll see a price war, try and put one or two of the others out of business. Bigger slice of the pie later on for them.

The market is really only big enough for 2 big stores in Cork.

No price wars in Dublin and there's plenty of competition. A war generally leaves one side dead and the other side battered. It wouldn't be the smart thing for either side.

I'm sure there'll be 3-6 months of good offers, and them being matched but I'll eat my hat if it was to develop into a price war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

PARlance wrote: »
    No price wars in Dublin and there's plenty of competition. A war generally leaves one side dead and the other side battered. It wouldn't be the smart thing for either side.

I'm sure there'll be 3-6 months of good offers, and them being matched but I'll eat my hat if it was to develop into a price war.

It's not really a coincidence they opened up close to Halpenny. It's a goal of each of them to put the other out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's not really a coincidence they opened up close to Halpenny. It's a goal of each of them to put the other out of business.

Wanting your competitors to go out of business and starting a price war to put your competitor out of business are too very different things. It would be incredibly naive for either to start one. There's nothing to suggest they will, they've been competing in Dublin for some time.

You're much more likely to get collusion on this Isle rather than a price war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Sorry to piggyback on this thread guys but are they opening one in Waterford ?? Does anyone know when they expect to be open ??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Sorry to piggyback on this thread guys but are they opening one in Waterford ?? Does anyone know when they expect to be open ??

Thanks in advance

Yup they're going into Mitchells old unit in Waterford. Rumored to be opening by the end of this month :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Went in for a nose yesterday...i was the only 'punter' there

Cork now has
    McGuirks
    Halpennys 750 yards away
    American Golf
    Mahers
    Nevada Bobs

Am I missing any?Surely not enough for all???
    I find my pro normally is there or there abouts on prices anyway, so I would rather support him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Dbu wrote: »
    Went in for a nose yesterday...i was the only 'punter' there

Cork now has
    McGuirks
    Halpennys 750 yards away
    American Golf
    Mahers
    Nevada Bobs

Am I missing any?Surely not enough for all???
    I find my pro normally is there or there abouts on prices anyway, so I would rather support him

I'd say you can scratch Mahers shortly. Closing down sale on there last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

I'd say you can scratch Mahers shortly. Closing down sale on there last week

The golf shop had closing down signs on it? Elverys have bought the sports shops but the golf shop was staying in Mahers ownership as far as I was aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

The golf shop had closing down signs on it? Elverys have bought the sports shops but the golf shop was staying in Mahers ownership as far as I was aware

Pretty sure it was closed when I passed the other day. Was in a couple of weeks ago during the closing down sale. Most staff moved to McGuirks I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I was in there a fortnight ago and most of the stock was gone. Got a couple of bits and pieces but it was definitely a closing down sale. The sports shops have been acquired by Elvery's as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I've never been in a McGuirks so maybe they have something different to offer ?

Yes they usually decorate their stores with small clusters of disinterested staff who seem bitter that they haven't made it as golf pros themselves. It's a nice little feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Milkers wrote: »
    Yes they usually decorate their stores with small clusters of disinterested staff who seem bitter that they haven't made it as golf pros themselves. It's a nice little feature.

To be fair good experienced staff in mcguirks cork some from mahers. Worth a visit

Advertisement