Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway through to the next round in the bid for European Capital of Culture 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Fantastic news - the team behind it seem to have worked really hard. Good luck to them in the next phase- it will bring a lot of visitors and money to the city if we win it (not to mention a great year of arts activities etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So Dublin have been eliminated.
    And Galway, Limerick and 'the three sisters' (Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford) are through to the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any chance of a bypass in the mean time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any chance of a bypass in the mean time?

Don't be ridiculous! The Coke Zero bike scheme is sorting that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So Dublin have been eliminated.
    And Galway, Limerick and 'the three sisters' (Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford) are through to the next round.

Why only one eliminated? Thought it was meant to be two eliminations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

It wasn't about elimination as such, it was more who qualified to go through to the next round. They could have let all four through, or two, or even just one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Very long winded process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Really obvious the place is being spruced up for the jury visitation in the next week or so.
    I'd have thought traffic woes, accommodation woes, litter woes, the state of BrowneDoorway and the Square in general might deter the ECC2020 being awarded here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hopefully they are not around early morning quay st and environs was a mess at 8 am this morning rubbish everywhere

youngrun wrote: »
    Hopefully they are not around early morning quay st and environs was a mess at 8 am this morning rubbish everywhere
    Tis true and fair play to the Council workers who were out cleaning up the Spanish Arch area and prettifying the Kirwan roundabout

• Advertisement

Eyre square is looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

youngrun wrote: »

Unusual.

Most of the city centre is a mess at 5am each day. Th ex council workers do a fantastic job sorting it out each day.

The Eyre Square roses do look lovely, and the cream ones have a great scent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Eyre square is looking well.

It took long enough to sort it out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I was in Kilkenny last weekend and you'd never know they're part of the Three Sisters 2020 bid. Very little advertising about the bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The pressure's on.
    This may go to a penalty shoot out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is anyone else just not worried at all about getting it? Like seriously is there even any other competition?

Doesn't Galway act like it's the European capital of culture every day of the year? You can't swing a cat for festivals.

Is there somewhere you can bet money on this because it seems like a sure thing. Doubt any of the other contenders are putting in half the effort we are.

Is anyone else just not worried at all about getting it? Like seriously is there even any other competition?

Doesn't Galway act like it's the European capital of culture every day of the year? You can't swing a cat for festivals.
    Maybe that's why Limerick might pip Galway?
    One strange aspect for me though is that even though Galway has lots of festivals and creative industries based here - it has poor facilities/infrastructure. Black box for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Can someone enlighten me as to what the fuss is about? If Galway was to win, what do you win exactly. Do we get shed loads of EU money to build arthouse cinemas and swanky museums? Or is it just a gold starðŸ˜႒

Can someone enlighten me as to what the fuss is about? If Galway was to win, what do you win exactly. Do we get shed loads of EU money to build arthouse cinemas and swanky museums? Or is it just a gold starðŸ˜႒

1.5 million from eu
    15 million from our own government
    Plus a gold star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

1.5 million from eu
    15 million from our own government
    Plus a gold star.

That sound good. Must be a big star so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not to mention the massive knock on effect, it would be worth a few hundred million to Galway longer term and create a pretty significant amount of jobs as well.

It is a really big deal, indifference like 'ah sure Galway has loads going on anyway' is not really understanding what's actually at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ok I'm going to sound a bit skeptical here but what actually has the 2020 bid done apart from marketing and PR?

What actually has been done to foster more cultural events by the 2020 bid team to actually bolster what we have already or is it purely just to advertise Galway as is?

It seems to be very good at branding and networking events but a bit opaque when it comes to explaining the "teams" input, funding and collaboration with artists and the people of the city who make up it's cultural diversity.

They send a message of Let's Win The Bid Yay Aren't We Brilliant #socialmediabuzz pretty well but is that it?

I hope Galway will win of course add that would be a proud moment and very beneficial to the city, but I feel the bid campaign feels just a bit shallow.

I could just be a miserable bAstard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ok I'm going to sound a bit skeptical here but what actually has the 2020 bid done apart from marketing and PR?

What actually has been done to foster more cultural events by the 2020 bid team to actually bolster what we have already or is it purely just to advertise Galway as is?

It seems to be very good at branding and networking events but a bit opaque when it comes to explaining the "teams" input, funding and collaboration with artists and the people of the city who make up it's cultural diversity.

They send a message of Let's Win The Bid Yay Aren't We Brilliant #socialmediabuzz pretty well but is that it?

I hope Galway will win of course add that would be a proud moment and very beneficial to the city, but I feel the bid campaign feels just a bit shallow.

I could just be a miserable bAstard though.

The bid is about marketing and social media and driving that buzz that you seem to have an issue with though. The events, the input to local groups etc etc comes when you've been chosen and when the time comes around.

It is a really big deal, indifference like 'ah sure Galway has loads going on anyway' is not really understanding what's actually at stake.

For the record I wasn't being indifferent, I really hope we get it, I was just thinking how could we not get it? Like how is it not in the bag compared to competitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

One strange aspect for me though is that even though Galway has lots of festivals and creative industries based here - it has poor facilities/infrastructure. Black box for example.

Bill Bailey could barely contain his amusement when he played the Black Box. Everything Galway has is old. While many smaller towns had nothing 20 years ago they now have brand new shiny facilities while ours are tired and out of date.

Wikipedia sez "the beneficial socio-economic development and impact for the chosen city are now also considered in determining the chosen cities."

This would sway it in favour of Limerick imo.

Some 18 massive wooden flowerboxes plonked on footpath on LoughAtalia Road, each with a little flagpole sticking out.

You'd have to wonder where the Council are getting all the funds to do this when they are so resource-constrained with up to 300 people stuck in emergency accommodation and all sorts of other problems that negatively affect citizens' daily lives..where those funds could be used.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Some 18 massive wooden flowerboxes plonked on footpath on LoughAtalia Road, each with a little flagpole sticking out.
    Shush - those lovely flag boxes (provided by local Garden Centre company) are "always" there!

snubbleste wrote: »

You'd have to wonder where the Council are getting all the funds to do this when they are so resource-constrained with up to 300 people stuck in emergency accommodation and all sorts of other problems that negatively affect citizens' daily lives..where those funds could be used.

Yes because the cost of flowerboxes = 300 houses.

• Advertisement

Yes because the cost of flowerboxes = 300 houses.
    Ah now.

Advertisement