Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway through to the next round in the bid for European Capital of Culture 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Limerick favourite i reckon is just my gut opinion, even though Galway has all the culture from arts /festivals/events viewpoint..
    is the decision announced in public on friday ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It would make more sense if Limerick got it as per earlier post.
    Galway is just being greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    It would make more sense if Limerick got it as per earlier post.
    Galway is just being greedy

However Limerick managed to screw up the national version in 2014, so I'm not sure that they're up to the Europe-wide one yet.

Greedy or not, Galway is still lacking a decent large performing arts venue. Staging a large scale concert or similar here is extremely challenging, and all the possible venues lack any kind of suitable back-stage facilities. (No, I'm not talking thru a hole: I've been involved in one such event, and it was a PITA having to use off-site dressing rooms, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

youngrun wrote: »
    Limerick favourite i reckon is just my gut opinion, even though Galway has all the culture from arts /festivals/events viewpoint..
    is the decision announced in public on friday ?

Announced on Friday it says.
    http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/0712/801981-city-of-culture-2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How can Limerick make the news and not a word about Galway after Mondays visit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The poll for who should win doesn't even have Three Sisters on it. Weh weh.

Ludikrus wrote: »

Yes thanks. Its being announced in the national concert hall between 12-12.30 i just read . nervewracking time for all involved, there is a serious amount of work time and money gone into it,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

CnVNtkoWYAA6XfQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

they must have won

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

they must have won
    Culture-based riots if the news is bad. Hooligans in black polo necks tanked up on free glasses of wine. Superfluous scarves used as makeshift garrottes. Aosdana members orchestrating fights with rival theatre companies from Limerick and Wahhhhh'fud. Juggler blood *everywhere*.

Robbo wrote: »
    Culture-based riots if the news is bad. Hooligans in black polo necks tanked up on free glasses of wine. Superfluous scarves used as makeshift garrottes. Aosdana members orchestrating fights with rival theatre companies from Limerick and Wahhhhh'fud. Juggler blood *everywhere*.

Ah no. There'll just be outward congratulations of limerick and satirical poems passed around wine-bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

What does city of culture mean to the average galwegian?
    Very little,I imagine.
    is it a business incentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Very little,I imagine.

Higher prices

Very little,I imagine.

This is one thing the 2020 crew did not inform the public well enough about
    if it works then there will be a decent economic impact
    There is a monetary win from it and a PR win
    It is likely to attract a huge amount of extra tourists numbers ( 100k plus projected from now thru 2020 per annum) with the additional spend and job creation as a spinoff eg restaurant/hotels etc
    The projects themselves will create jobs/spend eg if building new capital infrastrcuture etc or just on event hosting.
    Obviously costs of hosting events etc from public pursebut benefits etc
    The bid book has a good bit in it re the impact plan

IT article here states some figures from recent Limerick national city 12 m cost 45 million income and others

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/what-is-the-point-of-the-european-capital-of-culture-1.2619679

Liverpool is the poster boy for the ECC project. Huge extra numbers and spend.
    ECONOMY
    AND TOURISM
    Visiting Liverpool ECoC
    – The Liverpool ECoC attracted 9.7 million
    additional visits to Liverpool, constituting
    35% of all visits to the city in 2008.
    – These visits generated an economic impact
    of £753.8 million (additional direct visitor
    spend) across Liverpool, Merseyside and the
    wider North West region.
    – 2.6 million European and global visits were
    motivated by the Liverpool ECoC in 2008.
    97% of these were first-time visits to the city.
    – The ECoC generated an additional
    1.14 million staying visitor nights in
    Liverpool hotels, 1.29 million in the rest
    of Merseyside and 1.

Very little,I imagine.

I take it to mean a Volvo ocean race style festival down the docks. I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

People seem very ignorant of the benefits, no surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People seem very ignorant of the benefits, no surprise there.

Nobody has been informed of the benefits
    The entire social media campaign is based on:
    #IBackGalway #Galway2020
    No effort has been made to explain the contest, the rewards, the judging criteria, etc.
    So far it's just been sharing hashtags and putting stickers on walls about how people are backing the bid, however I don't think the success of the bid depends on how many people #BackGalway

timmyntc wrote: »
    Nobody has been informed of the benefits
    The entire social media campaign is based on:

No effort has been made to explain the contest, the rewards, the judging criteria, etc.
    So far it's just been sharing hashtags and putting stickers on walls about how people are backing the bid, however I don't think the success of the bid depends on how many people #BackGalway
    Can people not inform themselves these days? It's a bidding process, it had to be about getting themselves seen and heard, creating a buzz etc etc. The next stage is where the planning and preparation comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RobbieHawkins

Excuse my ignorance but can someone please explain as to why Galway is competing with Irish cities only in the EUROPEAN capital of culture.

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance but can someone please explain as to why Galway is competing with Irish cities only in the EUROPEAN capital of culture.

It's Ireland turn to host it along with one out country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RobbieHawkins

It's Ireland turn to host it along with one out country.

I see. I wonder how often each country gets to host. I think I remember Cork having the title around 2005 and Derry in recent times.

I see. I wonder how often each country gets to host. I think I remember Cork having the title around 2005 and Derry in recent times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Capital_of_Culture

Wonder no more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Derry was only the UK capital of culture. Cork was European capital of culture in 2005 and Dublin was in the 80s or early 90s

Can people not inform themselves these days? It's a bidding process, it had to be about getting themselves seen and heard, creating a buzz etc etc. The next stage is where the planning and preparation comes.

Why should I inform myself? What's in it for me?
    It's up to whoever is running the bid/campaign to get the message across, they cant just have vague hashtags and expect everyone to go digging for the reasons that they should be helping the bid. That's their job, the people of Galway shouldn't have to do it. And most won't.

Thats like trying to market some clothes using nothing but a hashtag as opposed to a picture - you have to make your target audience know whats in it for them, a hashtag doesnt show what the clothes look like so a person has no idea whether they would like them/look good in them.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Why should I inform myself? What's in it for me?
    It's up to whoever is running the bid/campaign to get the message across, they cant just have vague hashtags and expect everyone to go digging for the reasons that they should be helping the bid. That's their job, the people of Galway shouldn't have to do it. And most won't.

Thats like trying to market some clothes using nothing but a hashtag as opposed to a picture - you have to make your target audience know whats in it for them, a hashtag doesnt show what the clothes look like so a person has no idea whether they would like them/look good in them.

There may be nothing in it for you, id hazard a guess that a lot of people are backing the bid and hopeful of a successful outcome, they know what the benefits will be and that it is a no-brainer if indeed Galway is selected. As for the rest of your post id say go back and read what i posted previously, its the bidding stage now, nothing else. Details of the bid and their plans were released publicly a couple of days ago, did you want a hand delivered copy?

There may be nothing in it for you, id hazard a guess that a lot of people are backing the bid and hopeful of a successful outcome, they know what the benefits will be and that it is a no-brainer if indeed Galway is selected. As for the rest of your post id say go back and read what i posted previously, its the bidding stage now, nothing else. Details of the bid and their plans were released publicly a couple of days ago, did you want a hand delivered copy?

You seem to be misunderstanding me.
    This bid involves marketing to two audiences:
    -Marketing Galway City as capital of culture to the judges & foreign tourists
    -Marketing the benefits of capital of culture to the people of galway in order to get them to #backgalway

However the people in charge of the bid seem to have failed in that 2nd part, the competition, its benefits, the judging criteria, etc. have all been ignored by the media campaign, choosing instead to focus on soundbites and plastering hashtags all over Galway city.
    Getting more and more people in Galway city involved in the process could well have been the difference between a successful bid

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

We got it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

They got it! :)

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    They got it! :)

I saw you on the Periscope feed. :)

Class.

Advertisement