Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway through to the next round in the bid for European Capital of Culture 2020

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah no.
    Whoy, whoy Galway, whoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Delighted!! Congrats Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Soooooo pint's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Murals for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Soooooo pint's?

It's capital of culture so it's wine for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Winner alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

timmyntc wrote: »
    You seem to be misunderstanding me.
    This bid involves marketing to two audiences:
    -Marketing Galway City as capital of culture to the judges & foreign tourists
    -Marketing the benefits of capital of culture to the people of galway in order to get them to #backgalway

However the people in charge of the bid seem to have failed in that 2nd part, the competition, its benefits, the judging criteria, etc. have all been ignored by the media campaign, choosing instead to focus on soundbites and plastering hashtags all over Galway city.
    Getting more and more people in Galway city involved in the process could well have been the difference between a successful bid

successful in the end well done to all !¬

Definitely agree on this the team/council etc need to give some ballpark on economic/jobs/spending impact etc, and get the wider city and business behind them and say why its worthwhile. Way too much twittering and social media these days that says things are great ideas or themes etc with no substance behind them
    My view is that there will be a major reward for the city in this in tourism sector, building sector, jobs etc and spin off to improved infrastructure eg tourist/cultural attractions long term, but message needs to get out there and the cost/benefit should be drawn up and communicated clearly.
    Overall it is a very good thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

At least the bloody cinema will get finished now.
    And hopefully a proper concert venue.

At least the bloody cinema will get finished now. And hopefully a proper concert venue.
    Your optimism knows no bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Green Leaf city in 2017 and ECC in 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And hopefully a proper concert venue.

Agreed.

I've heard from good sources that having a viable plan for this was one of the pre-conditions for even getting shortlisted.

This plan was announced before Christmas: http://connachttribune.ie/e25-million-project-an-early-christmas-present-for-galway-025/

Little has been said about it since, but I'd guess that a lot of work has been done in the background. I don't for one minute believe that the ECOC2020 decision was made based on wristbands, clapping out or murals.

Interesting, though, that future developments like this weren't (publically anyway) considered in the transport strategy.

It's capital of culture so it's wine for all.

Pint's are how I measure my wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wooly jumpers and bongos for all!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Well done to the committee members and the city council staff. All the hard work and sacrifices over the last few months seem worth it.

Puts the whinging about a bit of fenced off grass seem a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I'll question the council and all insundry when a public freehold can not be utilised for no reason and no timeframe.

Maybe you call that "whinging" I call it being objective.

This blanket "backgalway2020" and the lack of depth in what it was to encompass and cost to me the taxpayer overall.

Pure theatre shepherding judges down certain paths so they would only have a positive spin.

Hope the cost benefit analysis is more of the latter and less of the former.

#backanythingthatiamtoldtoback

15 million of government money .
    Taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I'll question the council and all insundry when a public freehold can not be utilised for no reason and no timeframe.

This blanket "backgalway2020" and the lack of depth in what it was to encompass and cost to me the taxpayer overall.

Pure theatre shepherding judges down certain paths so they would only have a positive spin.

Cool rant bro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Plenty of marketing spin but very little detail apart from how "positive it is for Galway." No doubt it will benefit the city economically though and if we get the cinema and a new venue of some sort built then fair play. There's sure to be a good buzz around the place for the next while and during the Summer of 2020 especially.

Getting fairly sick of seeing #Galway2020 everywhere though. And that Thunderclap goodbye to the judges was pure cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is this a reference to?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Can we not enjoy the win for 24hrs before launching into cynicism and whinging?

I swear to god some people are just vultures looking to put a negative spin on anything positive that happens in this city.

This is a happy day, f-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I swear to god some people are just vultures looking to put a negative spin on anything positive that happens in this city.

OMG, how can you be happy when there's people lying on trollies! :mad:

/s

Rental prices will go stratospheric, hipsters will congregate from all over the wuuurld, galway seaweed will be a gourmet food, bollinger broken shards instead of buckfast glass shattered, traffic will go nuts and we all will have culture rammed down our throats, everything will be "in de name of cultúr so to speak".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Do we have to speak Irish only in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do you think the Limerick bid brought them around Hyde Park?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

snubbleste wrote: »
    Rental prices will go stratospheric, hipsters will congregate from all over the wuuurld, galway seaweed will be a gourmet food, bollinger broken shards instead of buckfast glass shattered, traffic will go nuts and we all will have culture rammed down our throats, everything will be "in de name of cultúr so to speak".

Why not escape all that and move to lovely Limerick?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Or all and sundry even?

There will be loads of events and days out throughout the year as part of this, hopefully with something for everyone to enjoy,it should attract more tourists here or get them to stay longer and to spend money and give them a good impression of all the enthusiasm and friendliness which is so great in Galway (like the Volvo Ocean Race) and they'll go home and tell more people about it/come back again, and hopefully there will be improvements made to infrastructure and facilities which will continue to benefit Galway into the future. Or maybe it'll all be a load of crap and in four years time we'll all be cursing the European City of Culture and wishing that Limerick had won it. For now though might as well look on it as a positive and deal with any problems or complaints down the line. Either way I'm pretty sure a load of tourists from Iceland/Scotland/US wherever aren't going to be going home permanently scarred and disgusted by some patchy grass in Eyre Square,and if they do then to be fair the whole year of Culture will be a bit of a miserable failure if the overriding impression is of poor landscaping in one part of the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great news for the city. Fantastic stuff.

Begrudgers? In Ireland? Never!

i like to question things before committing,maybe your different.

• Advertisement

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Am I doing this thread right?

Advertisement