Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway through to the next round in the bid for European Capital of Culture 2020

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Very bad poetry. Problem is that she does not seem to realise that it is so bad

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

nuac wrote: »
    Very bad poetry. Problem is that she does not seem to realise that it is so bad

Shįtty poetry
    This is pity poetry.
    Poetry my arse.

Mine is also a haiku. Your move hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wompa1 wrote: »
    We're discussing it on the forum and it was seen by many others in the paper. I'd imagine she was hoping to make a statement. In which case, she succeeded.

Much like Padraig Conneelly serving the community by talking about what he feels is wrong with the hospital, the roads, the signs etc. Perhaps she is serving the community by shining a spotlight on the incompetence of those in leadership....perhaps?

She had the rest of the year to whinge about stuff, she was asked to write a poem and used it as a soap box to gain publicity for herself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

FG Cllr Stephen Keary said awarding the European Capital of Culture designation to Galway is “like rubbing butter to a fat pig’s behind”, with the implication the city did not really need it.
    Brian Thompson, St Mary’s AID, who sits on the economic committee agreed, saying: “Galway was a predictable and easy choice for the judges”.
    He added Limerick has a “rough edge” in terms of art, but: “I do not think the selectors were really that interested in this.”
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/211476/limerick-council-boss-explores-galway-2020-link-up.html
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

She had the rest of the year to whinge about stuff, she was asked to write a poem and used it as a soap box to gain publicity for herself.

One could argue she called attention to the corruption in the city....rather than calling attention to herself but it goes both ways, I suppose. It was an awful poem, so that makes her look bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    One could argue she called attention to the corruption in the city....rather than calling attention to herself but it goes both ways, I suppose. It was an awful poem, so that makes her look bad!

Is there proof of this corruption? And who is responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Is there proof of this corruption? And who is responsible?

Yes, there was an investigation in NUIG about the inequality when it came to promotions. Yes, there was an investigation into the cheating scandal in GMIT.

Yes, there is proof of 40-50 people left on trolleys in the hospital, it's been reported on many times. The plans for the multi-story parking lot did in fact create fewer parking spaces than they currently have. A person working for the hospital did get caught using a construction company contracted to do work on the hospital to build an extension on his own house funded through the hospital. Yes, there is proof of ridiculous spending in the hospital...check out the stories on the work done and the lack of return in capacity + the fact they were renting offices across the road...and paying for planning and never executing on it because the planning was insufficient.

Everybody knows the ongoing saga with the arthouse cinema...

The expenses of the local representatives get publicized each year...

I can understand not liking the poem and not liking the poet based off of how lousy the poem is and the fact it is attention seeking BUT I can't understand not agreeing with the fact there's a high level of corruption in many of the cities institutions...

Who is responsible? City council, management of the GMIT and NUIG, management of the Hospitals, politicians even higher up than the city council and partially, the people of Galway for turning a blind eye...

Did we forget Culture Night last week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did we forget Culture Night last week?
    Well I did , did the 2020 crew as well? Very little about it or maybe I am too much of a philistine to notice. What next for 2020 ? ANything in the interim
    Ended up in terryland park for some football culture:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Culture night was great! There was a real buzz around town, loads of people. Of course, it being a lovely evening probably helped a lot.

• Advertisement

That poem cost us (via Galway City Council( €1000.
    [SIZE="1"][b]Galway's bid to win Capital of Culture is all twenty twenty give the horse plenty.
    We're in with a great chance, until they hear about the legionnaires' disease outbreak in the fire station, where our life savers need saving.
    The birds are tweeting about the arrival of the jury this July.
    The word is out they'll rule on the bid.

Best to keep them councillors out of sight, with the malarkey they go on with, in city hall.
    Govern, govern my arse they wouldn't govern a sly fart on a runway.
    We'll end up crowned the capital of fools.

My ogyny, your ogyny, misogyny.
    We laugh about it at bus stops.
    We say, aren't some of our elected representatives a laughing stock.
    We'll never get Capital of Culture if they look through that window.

Some people live their lives so they can die on a trolley in Galway's A&E.
    Just wait and wait and wait and you'll die waiting.
    Eighteen million on a new block and not a new bed in sight or on site.

The swans in the canals all know, we underpay our nurses we underpay our teachers we overpay our consultants and we don't know why.
    This is fair-play city, or unfair play city if you are a woman working for years in NUIG and hoping for a promotion.
    Hashtag-go-Micheline-go.

This is pity city, ****ty city.
    Sewage in your nostrils city.
    This is Galway city of expert panels.
    City of slickers and slackers who name-call Travellers knackers.

If you want the odour of outrage ask the students at GMIT who have to re-sit exams.
    Allegations of cheating.
    Oh no not this again.
    They are coming in July to rule on the bid.
    We'll hide that bit of news about the GMIT and the gender discrimination in NUIG in the parlour that never gets used.
    To that we'll throw the new block, the bedless block at University Hospital Galway.

This is Galway slicker and slacker.
    Have your home burgled by your favourite nephew, while you are at his other aunt's funeral.
    He didn't know it was her house and he didn't know taking her jewellery without her permission was stealing.

This is Galway the bidding city the forbidding city.
    Where the woman in court apologised to her man for putting him through this.
    The judge asked her, did he apologise to you when he was sticking that screwdriver in your forehead?
    No but he wasn't feeling himself that day your honour.

To hell with local artists what do they bring the city?
    nothing but scruffy dogs and ripped jeans, hippies with hobbies the lot of them.
    As for the buskers, wanting to fit in with the odour of outrage.
    Move them on, hide them in GMIT, or The Picture Palace.
    Don't mention local artists at all.
    Let it be like they don't exist.
    Raise the rents is the best way to keep the ripped-jeans gang out, like it's always been.
    Artists me arse.

This is Galway, the bidding city the forbidding city.
    City of thieves or is it scribes or is it tribes?
    The jury are coming this July, the word is out they'll rule on the bid, for Capital of Culture twenty twenty give the horse plenty.
    We have a great little city here, a pity little city, a ****ty little city.
    [/b][/SIZE]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

snubbleste wrote: »
    That poem cost us (via Galway City Council( €1000.
    [SIZE="1"][b]Galway's bid to win Capital of Culture is all twenty twenty give the horse plenty.
    We're in with a great chance, until they hear about the legionnaires' disease outbreak in the fire station, where our life savers need saving.
    The birds are tweeting about the arrival of the jury this July.
    The word is out they'll rule on the bid.

Best to keep them councillors out of sight, with the malarkey they go on with, in city hall.
    Govern, govern my arse they wouldn't govern a sly fart on a runway.
    We'll end up crowned the capital of fools.

My ogyny, your ogyny, misogyny.
    We laugh about it at bus stops.
    We say, aren't some of our elected representatives a laughing stock.
    We'll never get Capital of Culture if they look through that window.

Some people live their lives so they can die on a trolley in Galway's A&E.
    Just wait and wait and wait and you'll die waiting.
    Eighteen million on a new block and not a new bed in sight or on site.

The swans in the canals all know, we underpay our nurses we underpay our teachers we overpay our consultants and we don't know why.
    This is fair-play city, or unfair play city if you are a woman working for years in NUIG and hoping for a promotion.
    Hashtag-go-Micheline-go.

This is pity city, ****ty city.
    Sewage in your nostrils city.
    This is Galway city of expert panels.
    City of slickers and slackers who name-call Travellers knackers.

If you want the odour of outrage ask the students at GMIT who have to re-sit exams.
    Allegations of cheating.
    Oh no not this again.
    They are coming in July to rule on the bid.
    We'll hide that bit of news about the GMIT and the gender discrimination in NUIG in the parlour that never gets used.
    To that we'll throw the new block, the bedless block at University Hospital Galway.

This is Galway slicker and slacker.
    Have your home burgled by your favourite nephew, while you are at his other aunt's funeral.
    He didn't know it was her house and he didn't know taking her jewellery without her permission was stealing.

This is Galway the bidding city the forbidding city.
    Where the woman in court apologised to her man for putting him through this.
    The judge asked her, did he apologise to you when he was sticking that screwdriver in your forehead?
    No but he wasn't feeling himself that day your honour.

To hell with local artists what do they bring the city?
    nothing but scruffy dogs and ripped jeans, hippies with hobbies the lot of them.
    As for the buskers, wanting to fit in with the odour of outrage.
    Move them on, hide them in GMIT, or The Picture Palace.
    Don't mention local artists at all.
    Let it be like they don't exist.
    Raise the rents is the best way to keep the ripped-jeans gang out, like it's always been.
    Artists me arse.

This is Galway, the bidding city the forbidding city.
    City of thieves or is it scribes or is it tribes?
    The jury are coming this July, the word is out they'll rule on the bid, for Capital of Culture twenty twenty give the horse plenty.
    We have a great little city here, a pity little city, a ****ty little city.
    [/b][/SIZE]

Poets a neighbour of a prominent councillor, nepotism at its finest, well done GCC on showing your incompetence yet again

Advertisement