Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far up the Shannon is tidal?

• 13-11-2015 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Maybe the wrong forum, but was chatting to someone about this earlier.

It's tidal up to and around King John's castle / Curragower, but is it tidal out in Corbally? I don't think so.

Where does it stop being tidal? Does Ardnacrusha have any influence on river levels after King John's?

The rain seems to follow the river up the estuary too. Why I don't know.

I remember working in Killaloe, and you could see the rain coming up the river from Limerick. Or other times, you'd see it coming down the lake towards Killaoe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Shannon is non tidal above Ardnacrusha Lock, but it is tidal below Ardnacrusha Lock. Lough Derg can have a small tide, caused by storm surges such as an prolonged period of South Westerly winds over a number of days when the water can be heaped up towards the northern end of the lake.

Source: http://www.iwai.ie/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

tippman1 wrote: »
    The Shannon is non tidal above Ardnacrusha Lock, but it is tidal below Ardnacrusha Lock.

The river splits at Corbally/Parteen, man made path goes to the lock, original course goes up past UL, Castleconnell etc. After the split, it's def tidal up as far as the end of the Mill Road and Shannon Banks even. Not sure if tidal as far as UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What stops a river becoming tidal at a certain point? Wrong forum again maybe. I wonder has this influenced what goes on at different parts of the Shannon. At tidal/non tidal parts? In this case, maybe only in terms of fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

seachto7 wrote: »
    What stops a river becoming tidal at a certain point? Wrong forum again maybe. I wonder has this influenced what goes on at different parts of the Shannon. At tidal/non tidal parts? In this case, maybe only in terms of fishing.

Once it goes above sea level its no longer tidal. The Shannon only falls something like 20 metres between Athlone and the sea, hence the tide comes in so far.

The high tide point will vary though, Spring tides will push it up a bit further and a storm surge will also push it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Generally just beyond shannon banks where the falls is, like some have said maybe influenced slighly higher when in flood or storm etc but ends about there, grew up on mill rd. no the area well, surprised we never drowned the amount of time we spent on the river both winter and summer

• Advertisement
Advertisement