Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash buyers

Options
  • 13-11-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Evening
    We are buying a house in cash and are wondering how much bargaining power you think we would have on an asking price of 240000.
    We are looking around the outskirts of Dundalk and the property has been on the market since at least May.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

I think it really depends on the seller.

I was bidding a while back on a property with cash but I couldn't get a straight answer out of the EA as to whether the property was being sold by the owner or by the bank. In this case it didn't seem like a cash buyer had any bargaining power as I pulled out when the ongoing bids were nearly 20% over asking. I felt it wasn't worth it at that point.

They said they wanted a quick sale but it would go to the highest bidder so cash meant nothing in this case. I am pretty sure it was a bank / receivership sale.

Sometimes if a seller wants a quick sale and you can prove that you have the funds via your solicitor then they might accept your offer over someone who is approved in principle for a mortgage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A lot depends on whether or not the property is mortgageable. If there is a problem such as title, planning permission, boundary mapping or structural then cash is king. If it is a straightforward property which will go through the banks then cash has little attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MrsD123 wrote: »
    the property has been on the market since at least May.
    Many thanks

If the property is not really for sale, then whatever you are paying with will make no difference at all.

Advertisement