Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Fox Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,017 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Let's croak us some toad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Any chance the toad is the same character as the one in Chrono Trigger?

I'm sure someone got the reference but when thinking of Starfox today, I was reminded of Bucky O'Hare

And for the actual Starfox short

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I made the mistake of reading the Polygon review...
    What a load of cobblers.
    A not review, the man didn't even finish the game.
    Seems, rather than a review the site decided to publish click bait for haters, a way to monetise trolling basically.
    Reading the comments on the review page suggests little more than a node, a lightening rod for the ill informed.
    Or rather non informed, given there's a lot of authoritive opinion and extrapolation going on, the demise of Nintendo, NX to be a Dreamcast, based on a sh1t piece of writing published on the internet.
    Ah well, won't be clicking on a Polygon link again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

EJ22 wrote: »
    Dang! where did you order from!

I ordered from Simply Games on Tuesday, got it yesterday morning. I'm in the UK though, which probably helps!

Only played it for half an hour or so, but first impressions are really good. The controls are admittedly a little unusual, but it's far from the horrible experience I feared.

The nostalgia though! I hadn't realised how much I missed Peppy all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Got my Limited edition in the post from Gamestop around 10!

Unfortunately I'm now getting on a train to Dublin and won't be back until tomorrow evening...bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

tailgunner wrote: »
    I ordered from Simply Games on Tuesday, got it yesterday morning. I'm in the UK though, which probably helps!

Only played it for half an hour or so, but first impressions are really good. The controls are admittedly a little unusual, but it's far from the horrible experience I feared.

The nostalgia though! I hadn't realised how much I missed Peppy all these years.

Ah nice I've heard from a few people in the UK that they got their copies nice and early from Simply Games. I'm due to get mine in a few hours from gamestop so looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Cgj_87yW0AAQoqT.jpg:large

Got my copy in the post as well. Unfortunately the steelbook has a couple of blemishes on it with one very noticeable scratch on the front right in the middle. Otherwise everything else is in great nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

got mine today too

• Advertisement

Just got mine also, everything is mint so i'm very happy. another collectors edition type thing to add to my growing wii u library, which is growing at an alarming rate haha

• Registered Users Posts: 55,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

sligeach wrote: »
    Got my copy in the post as well. Unfortunately the steelbook has a couple of blemishes on it with one very noticeable scratch on the front right in the middle. Otherwise everything else is in great nick.

That's a balls, dude.

Was the pic of your carpet or a very large pet? :)

It's a woolly mammoth. I got a nothing answer from Laura who is the Northern Europe Customer Service Team Leader with Gamestop.

"Hi ????

Thank you for contacting GameStop online support
    I am sorry to hear that you do not like shopping with us and i can advise that prices are due to the different markets and currency exchanges
    I will however pass your concerns onto the correct department and let them know
    If I can assist you with anything else please don't hesitate in contacting me again

Kind Regards
    Laura | Northern Europe Customer Service Team Leader"

Doesn't explain why we had to pay nearly €8 more than the UK even with the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Damn all of you... I'm suddenly hyped for this seeing you all get your copies. I'll be picking mine up from Gamestop tomorrow... along with a couple of bottles of finest wheat beer. It shall be a good Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I made the mistake of reading the Polygon review...
    What a load of cobblers.
    A not review, the man didn't even finish the game.
    Seems, rather than a review the site decided to publish click bait for haters, a way to monetise trolling basically.
    Reading the comments on the review page suggests little more than a node, a lightening rod for the ill informed.
    Or rather non informed, given there's a lot of authoritive opinion and extrapolation going on, the demise of Nintendo, NX to be a Dreamcast, based on a sh1t piece of writing published on the internet.
    Ah well, won't be clicking on a Polygon link again soon.

It's really miserable. It's also really odd for Polygon though. Their site has a strong focus on how games should be changing or progressing or doing different things but with this game they are determined to hammer it for doing exactly that with the controls. To the point where the reviewer just throws his hands up and says "I'm done with this".

My guess is that they were banking on the game getting awful scores across the internet and so they'd be the stand out site saying "it was so bad I couldn't even review it".

Realistically though you've got 25 reviewers giving it a score of 7.5 or more and another 11 reviewers giving it a 7.

Then you've got this guy who says "nah, I just gave up". Something doesn't connect there. Maybe they've got a "Nintendo Fans Are The Worst" article coming down the pipeline.

I'll get it eventually and give it a go.

One of the main selling points of Nintendo is that you have a strong roster of exclusive games and each of those offers a distinctive gaming experience. Splatoon, 3D World, Smash Bros, Twighlight Princess, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Star Fox. A lot of reviewers don't really focus on that to be honest, is this experience available elsewhere or is a game doing something unique. I don't have a Wii U game like Star Fox so I am happy to try it.

Maybe I'll be back here in a month giving out about how it's impossible to control!

What's the first impressions for you folks that have it already?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got a proof of life photo from Parcel Motel, just to wait for it to arrive in my local pickup point, I'm hoping this evening, so I can get a go of it.

Turns out I made a mistake about the price difference between UK and Ireland. I thought it was nearly €8 but in fact it's over €10. I sent an e-mail off this evening about getting a replacement seeing as the steelbook is scratched. It's not Gamestop's fault it's scratched but it's just my luck.

Nintendo Secrets in Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins anime (Easter Eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCrGO2gV8o

Star Fox Zero - Review Discussion w/ The Completionist & RogersBase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJQKwL95l1Y

Had a chance to listen to all of this discussion, it's lengthy but honestly it's very good. It covers a tonne of aspects from this game, previous games, the controls, its length, replayability, the various vehicles and how they control, online, multiplayer, co-op, orchestrated music, that git from Polygon and more.

Just watched the short myself. Made me look forward to the game more.

Was wondering if Falco's controller was a subtle NX controller reveal. Be funny if it was.

I watched the short last night when it aired on twitch and as soon as i heard the classic corneria music i loved it. I wonder how the short will affect the games story, if it does at all

• Advertisement

From my understanding it's the first mission which is why it showed it again in gameplay during the credits. Also explains why they are giving instructions like using the visors and "Do a barrel roll" Of course that last one could just be because it's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

orubiru wrote: »
    It's really miserable. It's also really odd for Polygon though. Their site has a strong focus on how games should be changing or progressing or doing different things but with this game they are determined to hammer it for doing exactly that with the controls. To the point where the reviewer just throws his hands up and says "I'm done with this".

My guess is that they were banking on the game getting awful scores across the internet and so they'd be the stand out site saying "it was so bad I couldn't even review it".

Realistically though you've got 25 reviewers giving it a score of 7.5 or more and another 11 reviewers giving it a 7.

Then you've got this guy who says "nah, I just gave up". Something doesn't connect there. Maybe they've got a "Nintendo Fans Are The Worst" article coming down the pipeline.

I'll get it eventually and give it a go.

One of the main selling points of Nintendo is that you have a strong roster of exclusive games and each of those offers a distinctive gaming experience. Splatoon, 3D World, Smash Bros, Twighlight Princess, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Star Fox. A lot of reviewers don't really focus on that to be honest, is this experience available elsewhere or is a game doing something unique. I don't have a Wii U game like Star Fox so I am happy to try it.

Maybe I'll be back here in a month giving out about how it's impossible to control!

What's the first impressions for you folks that have it already?

I am enjoying it so far prob played about 2 hours worth
    the controls take a bit of getting use to at first ( takes about 10- 20 mins ) on mission that requires you to use both screens to get the most out of it, first notice it in boss battles in all range mode,
    no where near as bad as they were made out, reminds me of time when some people couldnt get the skyward sword motion controls to work
    the game is easily a solid 7/10
    it for fans of starfox 64, if you didnt like that one you wont enjoy this one

jos22 wrote: »
    I am enjoying it so far prob played about 2 hours worth
    the controls take a bit of getting use to at first ( takes about 10- 20 mins ) on mission that requires you to use both screens to get the most out of it, first notice it in boss battles in all range mode,
    no where near as bad as they were made out, reminds me of time when some people couldnt get the skyward sword motion controls to work
    the game is easily a solid 7/10
    it for fans of starfox 64, if you didnt like that one you wont enjoy this one

About same amount of time here and completely agree with you. Controls take a little to get used to but in my opinion it was blown out of proportion how bad they were. I'm enjoying it so far, it feels new yet has that nostalgia factor that is making it a very enjoyable experience.

Polygon are continuing the hate.
    They've published an article suggesting a link between the stepping down of the dev's president with the performance of the game in western reviews.
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/21/11477286/report-president-of-star-fox-zero-dev-platinumgames-steps-down
    Now, afaik, Platinum games have had mixed receptions to titles before, even the great Vanquish had to wait before everyone saw its genius, and I don't think Japanese developers are quite as reactive to public opinion as their Western equivalents.

Seems more likely that there was a typical personnel change but Polygon are just trying to spin it into a piece that supports their supposition that SF0 is a disaster.

EJ22 wrote: »
    About same amount of time here and completely agree with you. Controls take a little to get used to but in my opinion it was blown out of proportion how bad they were. I'm enjoying it so far, it feels new yet has that nostalgia factor that is making it a very enjoyable experience.

The mad thing is, if you are a PC owner or have used VR or even something like Steel Battalion on the old Xbox you would have been asked to become accustomed to a non typical control scheme.
    Modern controls tend to be consistent across genres and even consoles, in a racing game, an fps, a RTS, we get similar buttons doing similar things in similar games.
    But this wasn't always the case, and there is always room for trying something else.

I think the biggest issue is that some reviewers who go into this game with a forgone conclusion are only too happy to find elements they feel can support their initial hypothesis, and decline to further discuss these after time makes things like controls less contentious.
    They also decline to discuss the positives of the game as they think this would undermine their lofty position as arbiter of what is good and bad.

Sure there's a review for an Aliens game on PS2 that criticized the controls where you used left stick to move and right stick to look around.

dQy45Js.png

Don't think that scheme will ever take off

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The mad thing is, if you are a PC owner or have used VR or even something like Steel Battalion on the old Xbox you would have been asked to become accustomed to a non typical control scheme.
    Modern controls tend to be consistent across genres and even consoles, in a racing game, an fps, a RTS, we get similar buttons doing similar things in similar games.
    But this wasn't always the case, and there is always room for trying something else.

I think the biggest issue is that some reviewers who go into this game with a forgone conclusion are only too happy to find elements they feel can support their initial hypothesis, and decline to further discuss these after time makes things like controls less contentious.
    They also decline to discuss the positives of the game as they think this would undermine their lofty position as arbiter of what is good and bad.

Completely agree with your opinion there, especially in a comparative to VR as having used an Oculus Rift before it is just something that you get used to. I'll admit I'm not the biggest lover of motion controls, infact I turned them off straight away in splatoon when I got it but after giving them a chance with SFZ I'm going to try them again with it on.

As for your point on reviews, its an unfortunate side effect of the industry but in my opinion more people are going to click to see what is said about a bad review, especially from what is meant to be a highly regarded site amongst the masses which is a shame as it leads to a bandwagon effect on games for one particular point when in fact the point being raised isn't as big an issue as they're making it to be. A recent enough example of this was with Kid Icarus Uprising on the 3DS, same situation in which reviewers harked on the controls etc when in all honesty, for the style of game that it is they were perfectly suited for it.

My only issue with Kid Icarus was the daft use of the circle pad pro.

I'm a little miffed that I don't get a complementary code for Star Fox Guard with the physical game, just a download link from the front page to a demo version.
    At least the digital purchasers get a discount, I get nothing for buying a physical copy of Starfox Zero... Boo hiss!!

A quick blast of the game and the controls are odd but not too mad, certainly no game breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just bought the first print edition in gamestop when I said I don't even need the main game or could afford it atm. Goddammit I have no restraint at all lol.

€65 for the first print edition and seems to be loads of copies in the gamestop on Henry St, as it's not out on display only the standard version is out (I know).

Girl who served me didn't even know it was out. What is it with gamestop and every Nintendo release over the past few years, oh well.

• Advertisement

I went into gamestop and they had a copy of each edition on display. I asked for my preorder and he had no trouble knowing what it was.

Then again they also still have Project Zero Maiden special edition on the shelf

Advertisement