Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Fox Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I went into gamestop and they had a copy of each edition on display. I asked for my preorder and he had no trouble knowing what it was.

Then again they also still have Project Zero Maiden special edition on the shelf

Yeah I saw that, is PZ out if stock buy still on the shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I figured it'd be hard to get a copy but guess they didn't sell out. This is in Letterkenny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, should have got the first print edition, feck....

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Played the first couple of levels and my head is spinning. This game is mental to play... but in a good way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm getting used to the motion controls, I can fly the ship/chicken and aim at pesky critters using the gamepad without looking at it before hitting the reset button and blasting away again in typical SF fashion.
    All good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'll start it now, but the new Ratchet & Clank is super fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm getting used to the motion controls, I can fly the ship/chicken and aim at pesky critters using the gamepad without looking at it before hitting the reset button and blasting away again in typical SF fashion.
    All good so far.

Motion control?!

Please tell me you can turn it off !!

Is there an off screen play option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Motion control?!

Please tell me you can turn it off !!

Is there an off screen play option?

You can part turn it off so that it's only on when firing.

And no there's not really an off screen option. Each screen gives a different view. The minus button changes which view is on each screen but I'd imagine if would be really awkward to play by constantly switching on one screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Ok, after playing this for a few hours I'm baffled by the hate it's getting. Very good game. Maybe a little short but beyond that I can't fault it.

To anyone about to start, my own recommendation would be to switch the aim screen to the TV. I tend to use the ship view mainly for orientation and find that having the aim up on the TV works a lot better.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    You can part turn it off so that it's only on when firing.

And no there's not really an off screen option. Each screen gives a different view. The minus button changes which view is on each screen but I'd imagine if would be really awkward to play by constantly switching on one screen.

Honestly not sure whether to pick it up or not now.

**** motion control and **** not having the option for off screen play.

argh

• Advertisement

You could always wait for the inevitable port to the NX and "normal" controls... Depending on what the NX has that passes for a control method....

You could always wait for the inevitable port to the NX and "normal" controls... Depending on what the NX has that passes for a control method....

Ah the likely hood is I'll pick it up for the Wii U as I won't be an early adopter of an NX.

I just don't want it to go the way Splatoon did for me which was about 40 hours or so.

I loved that game but got sick of having to put it on the main telly as we only had the one at the time.

I don't really have that excuse anymore as I bought a PC monitor as a 2nd telly to game on etc but I still love off screen play on the couch.
    I couldn't tell you how many hours I've lost to Mario Maker on the gamepad.

The motion control there really took me a long time to get used to although admittedly when I did get used to it it was better than the regular control system oddly enough.

Well, its pretty damn fun. I like the cockpit view being on the gamepad. Looks pretty great, music is great. Slippy is still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Well, its pretty damn fun. I like the cockpit view being on the gamepad. Looks pretty great, music is great. Slippy is still annoying.

Lets face it, we wouldn't want Slippy being any other way :D

EJ22 wrote: »
    Lets face it, we wouldn't want Slippy being any other way :D

So true.

I think I am going to have to sell my standard Starfox Zero to get the first print edition, and only for Starfox Guard's physical disc.

I'd end up paying €15 for the digital version and I'm going to lose 15 in selling this SF0 on, probably foolish but there you go.

I think I am going to have to sell my standard Starfox Zero to get the first print edition, and only for Starfox Guard's physical disc.

I'd end up paying €15 for the digital version and I'm going to lose 15 in selling this SF0 on, probably foolish but there you go.

At least you can say in a year or so when there are none available new that you have it, plus you'll have a very nice steelbook to go with it :D

EJ22 wrote: »
    At least you can say in a year or so when there are none available new that you have it, plus you'll have a very nice steelbook to go with it :D

Absolutely no interest in steel books at all, I'm an accidental owner of several and they add nothing to my gaming hobby at all.
    All I want is a physical copy of Starfox Guard.
    In fact, had they given a digital copy of Starfox Guard with the main game I'd have been happy, but they didn't :(
    They seem to have done that in the US and Japan though, so I'm not sure what EU citizens did.... maybe it's payback for all the localisation they have to do for EU releases?

Absolutely no interest in steel books at all, I'm an accidental owner of several and they add nothing to my gaming hobby at all.
    All I want is a physical copy of Starfox Guard.
    In fact, had they given a digital copy of Starfox Guard with the main game I'd have been happy, but they didn't :(
    They seem to have done that in the US and Japan though, so I'm not sure what EU citizens did.... maybe it's payback for all the localisation they have to do for EU releases?

I'd imagine its a localisation issue. NoA and NoE are very different beasts when it comes to things like this. For example on reddit I've seen a lot of Americans giving out about NoA only giving them a clothing patch as a pre-order incentive when they'd rather get the steel book as they've no way of getting it now bar buying it from ebay.

I personally like the steel book mainly because of the design of the inside of it but its probably just going to stay in the cardboard SFZ box to protect it honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

There is undoubtedly a learning curve to the controls but that goes away pretty quickly. Seems an overblown issue.

• Advertisement

There is undoubtedly a learning curve to the controls but that goes away pretty quickly. Seems an overblown issue.

I don't think it's overblown at all.

Motion control 99% of the time add abso****inglutely nothing to the game.

Completely unnecessary and not wanted by the majority of gamers.

Nintendo don't care though and will do as they please as always which I respect to a certain degree but I still don't like motion control.

But its hardly present in the game at all. It feels like a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I loved motion control in Skyward Sword, and it's the only way I ever play it. I like it in Star Fox too. Some people don't and some people do. It got pretty bogged down with it being used mostly for crap party games etc but when it's used properly it's very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

I see you can unlock the bonus air wings with out the need to use the amiibos

Corholio wrote: »
    I loved motion control in Skyward Sword, and it's the only way I ever play it. I like it in Star Fox too. Some people don't and some people do. It got pretty bogged down with it being used mostly for crap party games etc but when it's used properly it's very effective.

Only place I enjoyed motion controls is Metroid Prime Trilogy, everywhere else they got turned off.
    LoZ SS got turned off because of those motion controls, I'm hoping for some sense and a non motion controlled edition at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't think it's overblown at all.

Motion control 99% of the time add abso****inglutely nothing to the game.

I'd make a distinction between gyro controls and motion controls. Gyro controls generally work great (see Splatoon or even this game) but shoe horned motion controls are generally needlessly obtuse.

I played Corneria and fumbled all over the place having no idea what I was doing at first. I went straight back into the level and did WAY better. The learning curve to is basically one play-through of one level.

I just got an email from Gamestop guaranteeing 30 quid trade in value for Starfox.... just saying cidey.

I just got an email from Gamestop guaranteeing 30 quid trade in value for Starfox.... just saying cidey.

What a boot in the nethers that would be...
    Handing it over to the evil empire, only to pay and extra 35 for the privilege of having Guard on a disc....
    On the other hand, I'm having to pay €15 for the digital copy, so the true differential is €20.
    And no takers as yet on Adverts, where I'd take €40 :(
    Damn, life is hard :(

But, on the other hand.....
    The game only cost me €35 to begin with!
    Hmm... decisions, decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What a boot in the nethers that would be...
    Handing it over to the evil empire, only to pay and extra 35 for the privilege of having Guard on a disc....
    On the other hand, I'm having to pay €15 for the digital copy, so the true differential is €20.
    And no takers as yet on Adverts, where I'd take €40 :(
    Damn, life is hard :(

But, on the other hand.....
    The game only cost me €35 to begin with!
    Hmm... decisions, decisions....

Ask yourself, do you need Guard on a disk? I get it 100% from a collector's point of view but who is your collection for?

I had this moment of realisation myself. I ended up selling a lot of games that are well renowned and worth a bit, but which I didn't enjoy and had no interest in playing again; The World Ends With You, Ico/SotC as examples.

It gave me a decent amount of credit to bulk up my WiiU library with games that I genuinely wanted to play.

I'm contemplating whether or not to pick up one of the Fire Emblem games. Any time I try to play Awakening, I lose interest after a few hours.

That's a sum of money that could be used towards the NX for example.

Unless you're crazy about tower defense games? In that case ignore all of the above! :D

• Advertisement

You sold ICO/SotC!

:eek:

Sorry...
    For a moment there I thought you said you sold two of the best games of all time, a simple typo I would say....

Advertisement