Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Fox Zero

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, seriously, I just don't trust online stores, particularly in Nintendo's case where they lock purchases to a console.
    If I have a physical copy I can play it on any console I like!

I've a lot of pondering to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You sold ICO/SotC!

:eek:

Sorry...
    For a moment there I thought you said you sold two of the best games of all time, a simple typo I would say....

I know. I tried my best to like it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Got this and played a bit over the weekend. It's really good!

I don't really understand the uproar over the controls. Actually, I think they are great. Aiming is much more precise and since a real main point of Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars was always trying to get a high score it makes things a little more challenging and also gives a little more control to the player. You are not just restricted to pointing with your ship. For me, this is a natural evolution from the old N64 controls. I actually find that switching the motion control to "off when not shooting" is a little uncomfortable once I was familiar with the motion control.

All you really have to do to get the hang of it is play the first mission a couple of times. You'll see that you can eventually just look at the TV and move the reticle with the movement of the gamepad, or you can just look at the gamepad and play it like an FPS. You don't have to be twisting the gamepad around and throwing it all over the room. The control is very smooth and well calibrated. If you want to get a great score though you'll need to know when looking at the TV is best and when looking at the gamepad is best.

For the boss battle though you probably just want to use the gamepad and treat it like an FPS view. Easy!

I can't help but feel that a lot of the reviewers have actually tried to play this by constantly looking up and down between the TV and the game pad. If that's true then... haha. There are times when the gamepad (basically FPS view) is the best place to look and times where the TV is the best place to look. Ya just gotta Git Gud.

Imagine that, a video game where you have to actually practice the controls and learn how to master the game. Wow. Press 'F' to pay respects!

MAYBE they should have a "classic controls" option but, honestly, anyone using that would be missing out on a deeper experience.

I don't know if people were expecting this to be the Batman Begins of Star Fox, with an eye rolling attempt at dark and gritty but I am glad that they kept it cheesy and... well, retro, I suppose. I doubt Star Fox was ever going to be story about dealing with complex social issues. It's the usual quirky banter between the characters, no problem there.

It's a polished take on the classic arcade shooter. Great soundtrack. Nice graphics, though the planet missions are way better than the space missions. All the old characters and the quirkiness of Star Fox is right here.

It's a good game. A lot of the reviews have been very, very, harsh on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played it this evening, no control issues at all.
    They just kinda fade away and even make sense!
    Also, the whole thing feels more like an arcade game, tons of replay value, looking forward to digging out secrets!
    Honestly, I reckon history will be kind to the title, not so kind to the reactionary reviewers though....

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Played some more tonight, I had forgotten that I could change the TV view from third person into first so I started messing with and and had a totally different experience, First person view is actually amazing for firing and makes the motion controls a hell of a lot better while third person is good for general movement. Now that this has clicked with it I'm enjoying this game more than I already was :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Well I've just finished star fox, and for anyone reading this thread that's on the fence about whether to buy it or not because of the motion controls, in my opinion this game would have been worse game without them. They complement the gameplay extremely well and allow for a much more exciting feeling overall. I'm very satisfied with the game overall and I think that much like CiDeRmAn's opinion above, this is going to be a game that history will look back on fondly.

For now though it's time to rest, that final battle took it out of my wrists haha :D

EDIT: Ya know what, I think I liked this game more than SF64 the more I think about how much I enjoyed it.

Right only thing that bugs me about the controls is...
    The double tap on the right stick to barrel roll, but only as the walker, I keep doing it in the heat of battle and it drives me mad....
    So not the motion controls, a physical regular old control....
    Still a great game, but I'll be scheduling time with it, as Dark Souls 3 needs loving too!

Bit the bullet, sold it for 31 to CEX then bought the First Print edition for 65, knew it'd bug me until I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Bit the bullet, sold it for 31 to CEX then bought the First Print edition for 65, knew it'd bug me until I did it!

Is the first print edition available in any shops in Dublin do you know or is it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

iamtony wrote: »
    Is the first print edition available in any shops in Dublin do you know or is it online?

Yes it's in Gamestop. I've to bring my FPE into town and swap it because the steelbook is damaged. The customer rep gave me Blanchardstown as an option but that doesn't suit me. I've yet to hear back from her so it'll be Wednesday now at least before I can do it. More expense and wasting my time. Nearly a week later and I'll finally be able to play the game. This is what I get for buying from the Devil. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Hmm, I agree with his overall point, but I like the game...

...Do yous reckon if I returned zero tomorrow with the receipt I'd get a refund in credit? Not only was it not that great (it was good, but the controls did continuously weight me down) it was also 65 quid.

...Do yous reckon if I returned zero tomorrow with the receipt I'd get a refund in credit? Not only was it not that great (it was good, but the controls did continuously weight me down) it was also 65 quid.

No. I'm exchanging my damaged(steelbook) FPE tomorrow and was told all the games had to be sealed. So I've yet to play the game. Extra expense and time wasting, I've to head into town. I hated Gamestop before and this experience makes me hate them even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

if they allowed it I doubt you get a full refund and might also be slapped with a restocking fee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Picked up the special edition first print earlier in GameStop Blanchardstown for €65.

Very happy to have been able to walk in and buy without preorder etc...

I don't know if I'd have bought the regular copy yet if the first print was there.

I probably wouldn't have actually as I won't get to open the other one for a few days yet.

Anyway I really hope it plays well. Happy to have the first print even if it doesn't live up to my very high expectations of the franchise. Nothing has come even remotely close to starfox64.

I feel the same way about Pilotwings 64
    The SNES original was fine but the N64 game was a tour de force of all the reasons why Nintendo and, in this case developer Paradigm, are the best in the business, with a playground of epic proportions, evn though their outer dimensions might suggest otherwise, so many places to dig in and find secrets in tunnels, creeks and caves.
    The 3DS follow-up was so disappointing, with the Nintendo island from Wii Sports forced upon us with none of the fun and adventure of the N64 title.
    Now I can play the NTSC version of the game the frame rate is better as well as full screen, which is nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hmm, I agree with his overall point, but I like the game...

But would it be a better game with standard controls? A good video alright.

Picked up the new Edge there and they gave Starfox Zero a highly respectable 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Almost finished this on full completion and I have to say I've enjoyed it thoroughly. The control scheme has ended up being second nature once you get the hang of it and the game flourishes from there. Some of the levels could have been expanded a bit alright but mostly it's quite good design. The delays and length of time it took to come out hampered peoples opinion of it imo, and every delay added extra expectation that would never have been met either way. It's another very good Wii U game and unfortunately Nintendo's own handling of it has warped the view of it, which is something they will have to swallow and hopefully improve on with the NX.

It's a deserving entry into the franchise though certainly and better than most in the series imo. The use of the gamepad shows just how much Nintendo wasted it really. It wasn't a gimmick because a gimmick cannot be used beyond an original idea, there was quite a lot they could have done with it and unfortunately didn't. Starfox is well, well worth playing though.

I hear strong rumours that Nintendo are releasing demos of Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard on the eShop this week. That's the kind of thing that should have happened at the time of the games release, not nearly 3 months later. Let's see if its true in the eShop press release this morning.

Edit: It's true.

• Advertisement

You can't expect logic from Nintendo come on.

Spot the odd one out in the list of game wallpapers. ;)

https://www.nintendo.com/wallpapers/

They're all on Switch(15 out of 16), bar Star Fox Zero. Nintendo have just added wallpapers from the game to their site, perhaps it's a hint. It is a game that I've said before could get a Switch port, for a number of reasons:

• Miyamoto, it will irk him no end(imo) that this was slated and bombed disastrously
    • they can fix the controls
    • expand it to at least have online multiplayer
    • add more single player missions, as it's a very short game

This could be a chance for redemption.

So I said to myself, is there any clue within the wallpapers.
    EYCN5PMWAAAnaSk?format=jpg&name=small

Yes.
    EYCNRODWAAA572T?format=jpg&name=small

It could be nothing, but I bet it's happening.

sligeach wrote: »
    It could be nothing, but I bet it's happening.

I think it is finally happening also...

That Sligeach is finally getting excited for a WiiU port on the Switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think it is finally happening also...

That Sligeach is finally getting excited for a WiiU port on the Switch!

It can't be the Switch because I see an actual d-pad there.....

/runs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Inviere wrote: »
    It can't be the Switch because I see an actual d-pad there.....

/runs :pac:

It's a Switch Lite...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Inviere

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's a Switch Lite...

I know, I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I bought this game when it came out and I think I loaded it once. It was an awful mess. Not fun to play at all.

The controls were horrible.

They need to do a lot of work to it before I'd even consider double dipping.

The top 2 wallpapers are artwork I believe, I've never seen them before, the bottom 2 are from the short animation below that released at the same time as the game.

Star Fox Zero – The Battle Begins

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGg

~7:14 and ~11:52 respectively. The image above could be a Wii U gamepad, it could be a Switch Lite. It's not an exact copy of either, though it does look more like the Wii U gamepad with the d pad and thicker sides. The copyright does say 2016, but that could just be covering when it came out.

Still though, why is Star Fox Zero, now, of all games, amongst wallpapers of Switch releases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's a game+watch

Advertisement