Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Fox Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

tailgunner wrote: »
    My copy arrived this morning, which was very unexpected. Haven't been this excited in ages. I'm thinking about not playing it at all, and living out the rest of my life in constant excitement.

Dang! where did you order from!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Star Fox Zero is, simply put, a great Wii U game. While the control scheme is unconventional, it's fitting for a game that goes out of its way to surprise you with additional modes, trophy rewards, hidden locations, and a spin-off with gameplay never before attempted within the series. Which, in a way makes sense. Star Fox 64 was incredible, after all. Of course a game inspired by it would be amazing in its own right. And Star Fox Zero is. Once you find your footing, you'll be proud to be part of Team Star Fox.

http://www.cheatcc.com/wiiu/rev/starfoxzeroreview.html

Star Fox Zero’s fun stages and impressive boss fight give me lot of reasons to jump back in and play them over and over, and especially enjoyed them in co-op until I got a hang of juggling two screens myself. I’ve played 15 hours and I still haven’t found everything. Learning to use the unintuitive controls is a difficult barrier to entry, though it comes with a payoff if you can stick with it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/star-fox-zero-review

Once you've mastered the controls then you're faced with an outing which is easily on-par with the excellent N64 entry from which it draws so much inspiration - and that should be music to the ears of seasoned Lylat veterans. While some may mark Star Fox Zero down because of its initially obtuse interface, we feel that with perseverance it's possible to become totally attuned to the controls, thereby removing this as a legitimate concern. More pressing is the fact that the additional vehicles feel like they get in the way - a stronger focus on the Arwing segments would have been preferable, and would have made the experience far more consistent in terms of excitement. This grumble aside, Star Fox Zero is a solid entry in one of Nintendo's most underused franchises, and - if the forthcoming Zelda does indeed straddle the generational divide and launch on both Wii U and NX - arguably the last great Wii U exclusive.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/star_fox_zero

Instead of listing various sites, it's probably easier to just use Metacritic as a hub. It's averaging 70% so far from 8 reviews. Strange, I just refreshed the page and the reviews have disappeared, should just be a temporary thing.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero

Edit: And now it's 65% from 11 reviews. Well, I don't know what to say just yet but looks like my fears are being realised and scoring worse than I thought(I thought it'd get 75%).

Giant Bomb are very damning, 40%.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

2-3 hours to beat the game. Right, well I hope Star Fox Guard is worth a million Euro in a few years time. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    Instead of listing various sites, it's probably easier to just use Metacritic as a hub. It's averaging 70% so far from 8 reviews. Strange, I just refreshed the page and the reviews have disappeared, should just be a temporary thing.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero

Edit: And now it's 65% from 11 reviews. Well, I don't know what to say just yet but looks like my fears are being realised and scoring worse than I thought(I thought it'd get 75%).

Giant Bomb are very damning, 40%.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

2-3 hours to beat the game. Right, well I hope Star Fox Guard is worth a million Euro in a few years time. Very disappointing.

Just for balance:

http://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/nintendo-star-fox-zero-wiiu-review/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, a better comparison is with Outrun 2006, sure you can beat it in one sitting, but you won't see everything, only a fraction, and that's what the game is about, in terms of longevity.
    People still play and love the original on the SNES and the later episode on the N64/3DS, this seems like more of the same and that's what people were asking for.
    In fact, reading a review that even thinks that a quick blast though is representative of the game in its entirety suggests this isn't a worthy review at all.
    I've seen similar describing shooters like Raiden 2 or Dodonpachi are pants because some numpty forced through it pumping virtual credits in the slot, gaining no insight into the nuances and demands of credit limited play and the drive for hig scores and low lives lost.

Sure, saw the same for Captain Toad and that game is a little cracker, a playable set of dioramas, reminding of another maligned game, Luigi's Mansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mod: No need for any sniping / bickering lads, let's keep this civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, a better comparison is with Outrun 2006, sure you can beat it in one sitting, but you won't see everything, only a fraction, and that's what the game is about, in terms of longevity.

Exactly, it shows that the reviewer just doesn't "get" the game at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apparently Star Fox Guard is getting glowing reviews.

The controls are definitely seeming divisive, some reviewers saying it's the most innovative use of the gamepad and others saying it takes away from the game.

• Advertisement

Now back up to 69% with a healthy range of 30 reviews. :)

Just got my shipping notice from gamestop.ie for anyone else waiting for an online order

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Now back up to 69% with a healthy range of 30 reviews. :)

The Wii U holding page is off by about an hour. Its 71 over 39 reviews now
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero/critic-reviews

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's those that get Nintendo games and those that don't,
    If you want an online shooter it had to be CoD or Halo or Team Fortress or Destiny, right up to the point that Ninty released Splatoon, immediately there was a backlash from shooter fans that the game was DOOMED, lack of maps and lack of voice support.
    The game went on to be a great success and afforded online shooters with a way that everyone can play without being concerned about their parentage or sexual orientation is going to be called into question by some punk.
    And the supply and tweaking of maps plus new modes and regular festivals and competitions, it was incredibly refreshing.

If you wanted a racing game, only way to go was the ever more incremental improvements in track day or open road racing, more realistic road cambers, check, does the carbon fibre on the dash looked textured right, check, can you adjust the suspension and brake balance to within an inch of it's life, check.... Attempts to do something more interesting were rebuffed, the excellent Split Second and Blur for example.
    But Nintendo bring us Mario Kart 8 and some of the most impressive and generous DLC I've ever seen (apart from the lack of battle arenas.. FFS Nintendo!!), but it wasn't enough for some people, mostly people who never spent time with it.

People, so wrapped up in Dark Souls (including me!) , Gears of War or God of War never understood the creative zenith of a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario 3D World, and never gave them even half a chance, utterly baffling, kids games apparently, despite the handholding in most console games these days, Souls games excluded, and dismissive of the joy to be found in a modern Mario game.

Perhaps these kinds of critics are so determined for their hobby as a games player to be taken as a serious and worthy way to spend their time they forget that fun can be found in the candy colours of the Mushroom Kingdom just as certainly as it can be found in the dark, dank dungeons of New Londo.

And so it seems to be with Star Fox Zero, not every game set in a space ship needs to be Elite, Colony Wars, Tie Fighter or No Mans Sky, not sure if the "move the reticule over the target and shoot" genre isn't too limited in concept to begin with and, really, it's all about the story and controls that sets one aside from another, and this new game seems to have plenty of one and at least a way to adapt the latter one.

EJ22 wrote: »
    Just got my shipping notice from gamestop.ie for anyone else waiting for an online order

Cheers. Me too at 16:15.

The Wii U holding page is off by about an hour. Its 71 over 39 reviews now
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero/critic-reviews

72 now!

edit:
    Now there's a weird score
    Attack of the Fanboy
    Star Fox Zero brings the series back in a big way. Taking the franchise back to its roots, while amping up the action to new heights. Unfortunately not everything that was added was perfect though, with the Gamepad controls actually taking away from the experience, rather than adding to it. Once you get past them there is a great game here, but it will take some players quite a while to do that.
    So, they love the game, the great game, but mark it down due to controls, controls they say you get used to, and then award 70/100..... more than anything it suggests that reading the substance of the review more so than just the two digits beside it give a better impression of the game and if you are going to like or loath it.

I hope they're not finished with the game, if the controls aren't an issue and they add good online multiplayer then I could see it potentially being a 90% or even more game. Right now it's Splatoon without the online.

Star fox 64 is also short if you just played it straight, but its got more than that. I'm still excited.

Who thinks that's it? I think they'll continue with this game, post release. I think there's more to come and I don't even believe it was ready for release. It's Miyamoto's baby, only things are, potential bad sales and that thing known as NX may take priority. So will it be a Splatoon(continual updates) or a Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival(turfed out and forgotten)?

I hope they're not finished with the game, if the controls aren't an issue and they add good online multiplayer then I could see it potentially being a 90% or even more game. Right now it's Splatoon without the online.

It's Splatoon without online, but that was a game that was an online shooter, with a single player mode tacked on, really as an extended tutorial and little more.
    Starfox has always been a single player game first, from the Snes to the N64, with the miserable Gamecube episode not withstanding.
    Any included multiplayer element was all but lost on me.
    The absence of a multiplayer mode in Starfox Zero is hardly a disappointment, is it, it most people looking forward to it?
    I can't speak for individuals, you obviously were looking forward to it's addition but I couldn't give a minted fig if there was some sort of multiplayer component.
    As said, perhaps it'll pop up in an update later, certainly in an inevitable NX remaster, but I'll not be worrying.

Here's a video review of the game,

• Advertisement

I see Gamestop are charging £45 for the First Print Edition in the UK. But you know what I'm going to say now. That's about €57, not the €65 they've charged us. God, I hate them.

The game's average score is now 72% from 45 reviews.

I see Gamestop are charging £45 for the First Print Edition in the UK. But you know what I'm going to say now. That's about €57, not the €65 they've charged us. God, I hate them.

The game's average score is now 72% from 45 reviews.

We hate them but we still flick through their preowned shelves, like some miser from a Dickens novel, talking and cackling to ourselves as we peruse the typical, atypical and over priced, handing over greasy coins and notes for the rare prize, dismissing the offer of purchase protection and making for home....

It maybe that's just me....

Outside of whether the game is good, mixed or bad, Polygon continues to outdo itself as one of the worst gaming sites ever.

A review that isn't actually a review.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/20/11466308/not-a-review-star-fox-zero

• Registered Users Posts: 55,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That Polygon review is trolling, just to get a reaction. Any game reviewer that doesn't play once through a basic 3 hour run shouldn't be published.

I like the scores it is getting overall though. Looking forward to playing it.

'Written by Arthur Gies' Ah ok, I know not to read any further.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We hate them but we still flick through their preowned shelves, like some miser from a Dickens novel, talking and cackling to ourselves as we peruse the typical, atypical and over priced, handing over greasy coins and notes for the rare prize, dismissing the offer of purchase protection and making for home....

It maybe that's just me....

Angry e-mail has been despatched to hello@gamestop.ie.

Wow that polygon review is an embarrassment to the website.

Overall I'm happy with the scores its getting, sounds like fans of the series are going to love the game and really that's all I ever wanted from it so here's to looking forward to receiving it

Be grateful Polygon didn't give it a score or its Metacritic average would take a hammering. It's very unprofessional and an attempt at click bait. I don't get how Giant Bomb gave it 40%, that would suggest it's broken which I don't think is true. Their review rating scheme of 1 to 5 stars is too narrow.

As someone who used to write reviews, I ****ing hate star rating schemes. I think the most important thing to take away from reviewers like the ones from Giant Bomb and Polygon is that at the end of the day, its just one persons opinion and your mileage with a game may greatly vary than another person, especially if you're already a fan of the franchise.

• Advertisement

There's that Treehouse Event and the animated short on later tonight at 11 in case people forgot. I'm off out watching the Liverpool v Everton game, so I'll catch up when I get back.

http://live.nintendo.com/

Advertisement