Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stretched earlobes ....horrible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Kovu wrote: »

You could have just said you were watching a programme on tv and noticed a girl had stretched lobes, instead of insinuating that she was unemployable and should just give up looking for a job.

yes I could I suppose
    I was a bit annoyed at Faith+1's attitude that dole threads should be banned.
    the thread was more than that.

and I still say that the chance of employment with visible body art/modifications such as facial tattoos, piercings or lobe stretching will greatly reduce the chances of employment in today's competitive environment and render an unskilled person virtually unemployable.

and actually when I was watching the program, while the girl was confiding that she really wanted to be normal.
    I was actually speaking to the TV saying:
    well then get yourself in front of a mirror girl and remove all that crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I immediately think doper anytime I see those earlobes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

lanos wrote: »

and I still say that the chance of employment with visible body art/modifications such as facial tattoos, piercings or lobe stretching will greatly reduce the chances of employment in today's competitive environment and render an unskilled person virtually unemployable.

Well that is understandable. I would never get a facial tattoo for example, however I do not think piercings and visible tattoos should hinder the job selection process in any way. Instead of encouraging the thought process that leads people with body mods to think they should/can not apply for certain jobs, employers could learn to accept a certain amount of them. A much better scenario for all would you not think? Employers currently may miss out on excellent candidates because of first impressions and potential employees may not believe they are even eligible to apply for a position because of previous bad encounters at interviews or in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

lanos wrote: »
    yes I could I suppose
    I was a bit annoyed at Faith+1's attitude that dole threads should be banned.
    the thread was more than that.

and actually when I was watching the program, while the girl was confiding that she really wanted to be normal.
    I was actually speaking to the TV saying:
    well then get yourself in front of a mirror girl and remove all that crap

You come across like a 60 year old from Leitrim.

Horrible.

Oh you stretch your earlobes like tribal folk in Papua New Guinea? And you have a tattoo in Sanskrit? Oh like you must be so interesting, how different, there's only millions and millions of kids like you.

Thankfully in my day it was Levi's 501s. Which you could dump once the fad was over.

You come across like a 60 year old from Leitrim.

Ah now, that's a bit harsh ;) I know many 60+ year old people from Leitrim who don't pass any bother on that kind of thing. I'd get far more slagging from them if I was orange from fake tan, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Why are taxpayers paying for this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Why are taxpayers paying for this stuff?

Oh you mean the job she had before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I like them, always have since I was younger. OH currently has hers at just over 25mm.

Seems to be a big trend these days but there will be a lot of regrets among kids who jumped on the bandwagon in a few years imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Could be worse things to do to your body. I think this is the worst.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHgAqkPSQE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I wouldn't get my ear stretched myself but whatever you like. I always kind of wanted to get my eyebrow pierced but never went through with it.

If I was an giving an interview and the person had a stretched lobe, it wouldn't effect my decision but there are obviously people who do make those judgements.

My OH had his chin pierced and he was asked to take it out to get into a nightclub one night. Not sure what reason they gave him. He just didn't bother putting it back in after that. That was in 2004 though.

The one in the OP looks pretty

I do wonder what happens if you ever get tired of it though, would it heal back or something?

bluewolf wrote: »
    The one in the OP looks pretty

I do wonder what happens if you ever get tired of it though, would it heal back or something?

Fairly minor surgery I'd say.Get the lose bit cut off,probably local anesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

smash wrote: »
    Ear sex made possible

Probably the only place that's tight anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The calling card of the gobsh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Probably the only place that's tight anymore.

Depends on the size of the tunnels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'd rather have stretched earlobes than a stretched arsehole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Rank looking things, been round people with them and kept wanting to put a bicycle ulock through the loop, lock it and fk the key away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'd rather have stretched earlobes than a stretched arsehole.

Theres certain forums which think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Genuinely can't see why the OP objects or thinks it renders the wearer unemployable.
    We have natural holes in our nostrils, and, er, other places, and nobody minds a bit.
    Even Royalty wear pierced ears for real pearls and the like.
    I don't really see why a large, decorative piercing is any worse. It doesn't affect your ability to do any job that I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Ime, people who look like the girl in the OP tend not to want jobs as bankers or accountants and usually go into more artsy, creative professions where this look is acceptable. That's just in my experience, though. I know someone who has two of them and works in a record label and is very, very nice and very good at her job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ime, people who look like the girl in the OP tend not to want jobs as bankers or accountants and usually go into more artsy, creative professions where this look is acceptable. That's just in my experience, though. I know someone who has two of them and works in a record label and is very, very nice and very good at her job.

Despite being a big fan, seeing people with only one side done annoys me.

To the trivial annoyance thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I saw the last 10 mins of it last night, one of them has a goat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

that's the kind of narrow minded judgemental catholic kind of thing to say now isn't it OP? do you view people with tattoo's the same way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nodferatu wrote: »
    that's the kind of narrow minded judgemental catholic kind of thing to say now isn't it OP? do you view people with tattoo's the same way?

You wouldn't be so narrow minded and judgemental to view all catholics the same way though yourself now, would you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I would never get a facial tattoo for example, however I do not think piercings and visible tattoos should hinder the job selection process in any way.

Shouldn't but probably does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I see no problem with them, I don't like them myself but surely it's ability over everything else even though I know it's not.

You're judged on your appearance as soon as you meet a potential employer and if they don't like them it's highly unlikely you'll get the job but then again it depends on the job. So many variables!

I have six piercings in one ear and I work in an office. They have no issue with them. I have tattoos but only one that would be visible if say I wore a t-shirt (we have specific t-shirt we can wear) so I wear a shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

We all know what the op means, People on the dole should be euthanized after 2 months having not found a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say they stink, a gaping sore kept open like that especially ears where the skin tends to be more moist and oily and cuts take an age to heal. I was in the Natural History Museum in London a few weeks ago paying 12 quid or something for a slice of cake and a cup of tea and I came to the end to pay and there was a guy on the till who'd obviously been told to remove his for work, they were flapping around like dead skin on a burn victim with wet red holes in the middle of them, turned my stomach, didn't even want the food after paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Thargor wrote: »
    Id say they stink, a gaping sore kept open like that especially ears where the skin tends to be more moist and oily and cuts take an age to heal. I was in the Natural History Museum in London a few weeks ago paying 12 quid or something for a slice of cake and a cup of tea and I came to the end to pay and there was a guy on the till who'd obviously been told to remove his for work, they were flapping around like dead skin on a burn victim with wet red holes in the middle of them, turned my stomach, didn't even want the food after paying for it.

That's how they make their money.

Those ear hole things would be handy for the 1 euro coin for the shopping trolley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Thargor wrote: »

You mean just like an incredibly spotty teenager. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

A stretched earlobe is nothing like an gaping open sore... if it is you're doing stretching wrong, very wrong!

I used to have half inch lobes, and a few piercings... they only (slightly) hindered my job hunt when I was looking for part time hours in college. Retail can be snootier about appearance than the IT industry, it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Nodferatu
    I'm a catholic and I have half a dozen intimate piercings. So just hold your fire, Undead One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

AmyPL wrote: »
    A stretched earlobe is nothing like an gaping open sore... if it is you're doing stretching wrong, very wrong!

I used to have half inch lobes, and a few piercings... they only (slightly) hindered my job hunt when I was looking for part time hours in college. Retail can be snootier about appearance than the IT industry, it turns out.
    You're facing the public when working in retail, of course appearance will be important. Don't see why it would matter in IT at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

AmyPL wrote: »

I used to have half inch lobes,.

Amy, I was surprised at the "gaping open sore" comment as I assumed they were actually stretched gradually. Is that how it works?

^^
    You're supposed to go up by 1-2mm at a time, depending on ear elasticity; everyone differs there. Some eejits go up by loads at a time or else get their ears punched :(
    Also if a persons stretches smell then they're not looking after them properly, allowing bacteria to grow and fester (bleugh)
    I use silicone tunnels as they let the skin 'breathe' better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Seen a lad on the luas with one in each side of his nose. Not small ones either. That was an experience.

^^
    You're supposed to go up by 1-2mm at a time, depending on ear elasticity; everyone differs there. Some eejits go up by loads at a time or else get their ears punched :(
    Also if a persons stretches smell then they're not looking after them properly, allowing bacteria to grow and fester (bleugh)
    I use silicone tunnels as they let the skin 'breathe' better.

Like toe jam for the ears.

kneemos wrote: »
    Like toe jam for the ears.

*puts down toast*

:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Another two holes to stick your tool into when the hole gets to the right size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I work in hotels and certainly would not employ anyone with that stupid Shiite on their face - ears, Arse! Tattoos are fine once covered - this stretching and nose bars and horns and all the rest would instantly tell me that the person is a knobend. I would even go as far to say if I was to go into a retailer which had someone with this dumb **** all over them working in it I probably wouldnt go back!

Even looking at that pic makes me want to smack her and her parents! Facking Dope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

ardinn wrote: »
    I work in hotels and certainly would not employ anyone with that stupid Shiite on their face - ears, Arse! Tattoos are fine once covered - this stretching and nose bars and horns and all the rest would instantly tell me that the person is a knobend. I would even go as far to say if I was to go into a retailer which had someone with this dumb **** all over them working in it I probably wouldnt go back!

Even looking at that pic makes me want to smack her and her parents! Facking Dope!
    I think the main reason why people have this sort of attitude is because they are scared of people who are vastly different than them and scared of things they are not familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I think the main reason why people have this sort of attitude is because they are scared of people who are vastly different than them and scared of things they are not familiar with.
    Generally I'm not at all like that, but just as people can express themselves as they wish, others can express their opinions on the methods - breaking skin and then allowing the skin to stretch is something people are allowed to have a less than flattering view on, and to suspect that it's sometimes done for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So once you stop using them your ears need reconstructive surgery to go back to normal?
    What the hell is wrong with people.

Only if you go past a certain stretch size, I think this is around 10/11mm but I'm not fully sure. I took mine out when working as a supervisor that allowed no jewellery- they almost fully closed in two weeks.
    And yes, I got the job by going through two interviews while wearing the tunnels ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I try to not be judgemental but I struggle with stretched ear lobes. They're so gaggy to look at....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I personally wouldn't get them done, but I don't have a problem with them. I've plenty of piercings but stretching has never appealed to me. This thread has gone mad though, ear jewellery has nothing to do with being employable!

If they're not your ears, why would it bother you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't hire anyone with them. It displays an inherent lack of professionalism, akin to wearing a Slipknot t-shirt to a job interview when you should be wearing a suit or other formal attire.

By all means, it's your body, it's your choice. But it can and likely will have a negative impact depending on what job you want to go for, and that needs to be taken into consideration when making that choice. If someone does make that choice, I would be free to make the choice to not hire them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Saw an opperation on tv last week being carried out on a fella who had decided that he didn't want giant holes in his earlobes anymore! and I was very impressed with the surgeons result, after he slit the edge of the earlobe and stitched/reconstructed what was left, to form what ended up looking like a perfectly normal ear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't like the stretched earlobes look meself but I don't judge a person's character or abilities because of it, I got enough shít over my own hair so would be a bit hypocritical of me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement