Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from 32 ram to under 4? wtf!

Options
  • 14-11-2015 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I built a pc in july and put 32gb of ram into it. I recently noticed that it wasn't performing. I first noticed it after an unexpected windows 7 crash, but it may have been slow before this. I can see on the system that I have 32gb of ram, but in brackets, it says 3.46 GB usable. Thats a huge difference. I only use the pc for browsing and some website building.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

3.46 might be for dynamic shared video graphics !?
    Check the task manager.

32-bit Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Karsini wrote: »
    32-bit Windows?
    Yup definitely sounds like s 32 bit O/s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

32-bit Windows?

yes. Thats right. I need the 64 version? I spent an hour talking with Microsoft and this wasnt mentioned.

What is the easiest way to do this? I would actually like to have windows on my 250gb ssd instead of the 120gb ssd, so maybe this is a good time to do that. I have read that the same key can be used to move from 32 to 64 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

there is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit afaik

so you need to get 64 bit windows and do a clean reinstall

back up your stuff on something totally separate if possible ( make sure the backup actually works, and unplug it before you start )

get a disc image here :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

you can use this to put the disc image on a USB stick :

( it will delete everything on the USB stick )

https://rufus.akeo.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 rraido

Just did the same myself about a month ago. Upgraded ram from 3 to 11gb. Had to do a complete re-install of Windows and you can use the same product key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

More money than....ahem...

Clean install 64bit then run memtest for 5hrs to make sure its stable.

What a pain in the ballzack :mad:

Well now i know why the performance has been lagging at times. I have only a few programs on the C drive, so it shouldn't be a big deal. All my work and personal files are stored on other drives. I will get it sorted next week. can't deal with it now.

A bit crappy that I spent over an hour chatting to not one, not two, but THREE microsoft tech people, two of which were granted remote control of my system. None of them spotted the 32bit version, which was left open on the desktop on the system tab. I didn't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit, but I do know I originally had 64 bit until there was a big mess up when upgrading and trying to downgrade from W10. 32 bit version must have been selected in error when reuploading windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

goz83 wrote: »
    Well now i know why the performance has been lagging at times.
    I only use the pc for browsing and some website building.

Out of curiosity, what programs are you running? Even if you had only 4GB of usable RAM, it shouldn't have an issue running what you suggest in your initial post?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what programs are you running? Even if you had only 4GB of usable RAM, it shouldn't have an issue running what you suggest in your initial post?

Most of the time I would have about 20 tabs open between IE & Chrome. Aside from that, I will have my web building program open and maybe a photo editor at times. It lags if I am opening one website build when another is still open. Sometimes, there will be three websites open in the program.

I have norton 360 running in the background and i don't know what else.

To be honest, Norton 360 is probably part of your problem. Horrible bloated software.

To be honest, Norton 360 is probably part of your problem. Horrible bloated software.

Yeah, but not if the full 32gb is available to me. I'm burning the W7 image to disc now and will get it sorted during the week. I've been wanting to move the OS to the larger SSD anyway, so it's just a kick up the butt really. I was worried it might be damaged ram, so this is not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Would you not go to Windows 10? It's a free upgrade and light years ahead on Win7 and you can install from usb easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, but not if the full 32gb is available to me. I'm burning the W7 image to disc now and will get it sorted during the week. I've been wanting to move the OS to the larger SSD anyway, so it's just a kick up the butt really. I was worried it might be damaged ram, so this is not so bad.

Nope, still horrible bloated software. You can't polish a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yeah, but not if the full 32gb is available to me.

Might be an issue if you don't have 64bit version of Norton maybe?

can i upgrade to the 64bit W10 without any trouble?

nvm. i know i need to do a clean install.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You have to do a clean install going from 32bit to 64bit, no way around it! Even upgrading to Windows 10 you will only go to 32bit version of 10

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The fact you put 32GB of ram into a machine in July and only recently found it was a bit slow says a lot!

8GB is more than enough for your uses, 32GB seems obscene....

The fact you put 32GB of ram into a machine in July and only recently found it was a bit slow says a lot!

8GB is more than enough for your uses, 32GB seems obscene....

That's a lot of assumption.

I originally had the system set up with a master W7 key. I recently upgraded to W10 and hated it. I then dialled it back to W7 and that's when I ran into an issue a couple of weeks back. Eventually, I bought a genuine W7 key and by mistake, I must have clicked the 32 bit install.

I had noticed lagging performance, but it wasn't causing an issue for me, so I just ignored it until the other day, when I checked the system ram. I knew 32gb was overkill, but lets just say I wanted it for future proofing. I wanted the best build I could afford and that's what I got. And sure, why not? I know the system is sorted for a long time. If I want it for gaming, I only need to upgrade the GPU.

So I have now done a clean install of W7 Ultimate and I put it onto the 250gb ssd. Pretty much everything is back in place, so I'm all good now. Thanks all for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Eventually, I bought a genuine W7 key and by mistake, I must have clicked the 32 bit install.

generally there's not an option for installing either W32 or W64, the installation is usually one or the other so you might have bought a W32 version key?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eventually, I bought a genuine W7 key.
    I have now done a clean install of W7 Ultimate

You bought a genuine key of W7 Ultimate? Where did you buy it and how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

unkel wrote: »
    You bought a genuine key of W7 Ultimate? Where did you buy it and how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

not sure if relevant, but you can get them on reddit for 24 euro.
    Bought Windows 7 x64 Ultimate myself a few weeks back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Reddit licenses are not genuine though. They might work and they might activate your installation. But you would not have a valid license.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

unkel wrote: »
    Reddit licenses are not genuine though. They might work and they might activate your installation. But you would not have a valid license.

Invalid licence = non activation, no?

No, the keys are mostly valid. So the installation will activate.

The keys typically are ones that students / start up companies got for free from Microsoft. It is illegal to sell them (violates the T&C that you sign up to when getting them) and if you buy one of these from a reddit reseller, you are not buying a genuine license (just a working key)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

worked fine to upgrade to Windows 10

worked fine to upgrade to Windows 10

Sure. But if you're going to use a non genuine license, why pay someone €24 for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guys why not take this to one the many threads already on the topic.

TLDR They're real keys, but you're breaking the terms of the licence and they may not work forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From experience they're a major gamble, I've had a load stop working and several 'trusted' sellers who were recommended on boards do a runner. I would never recommend a Reddit key to someone on Building and Upgrading.

Advertisement