Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from 32 ram to under 4? wtf!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah, but not if the full 32gb is available to me.

RAM is not the only resource modern anti virus take up and it is also not the only bottleneck for performance. Modern anti-virus are more like a virus themselves. Hog performance, scan your system without warning, read/transmit private information and are difficult to uninstall or even close... plus they sometimes install toolbars n' such during setup.

I'd recommend you get rid of it completely. MSE + common sense is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

RAM is not the only resource modern anti virus take up and it is also not the only bottleneck for performance. Modern anti-virus are more like a virus themselves. Hog performance, scan your system without warning, read/transmit private information and are difficult to uninstall or even close... plus they sometimes install toolbars n' such during setup.

I'd recommend you get rid of it completely. MSE + common sense is all you need.

There's a big difference between an application that needs wide-ranging system access to do its job and straight-up malware, i.e. the nature of the application being run.

MSE might be OK if you maintain your computer regularly and thoroughly, but I am quite concerned that its detection capabilities just aren't good enough anymore.

For example: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-bombs-antivirus-tests,news-20703.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

GreenWolfe wrote: »
    There's a big difference between an application that needs wide-ranging system access to do its job and straight-up malware, i.e. the nature of the application being run.

If the symptoms are the same then to me there is no difference. Anti-virus solutions don't make my system more secure. If it's performance you're worried about then they're a hog and you're better off without and if it's protection for your data then they themselves are gathering data, are closed source and have commercial licenses... exactly the opposite of the kind of stuff you want in a computer with sensitive data.

The only time I can imagine them being useful is in a business environment where every machine has a Windows installation so as to keep one user from ruining the whole network for everyone else with something they've downloaded. At that point you're probably using payed solutions.
    GreenWolfe wrote: »
    MSE might be OK if you maintain your computer regularly and thoroughly, but I am quite concerned that its detection capabilities just aren't good enough anymore.

This is true, and every few months or so I do a virus scan just to be safe but promptly remove the software once I'm done with it because there's very few options for shutting it down or having it open only when you want to scan. Just like I said, hard to close and uninstall. They immediately set themselves to auto run on boot, sometimes across multiple accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

tnegun wrote: »
    Yup definitely sounds like s 32 bit O/s

No, it sounds like most (but not all) 32-bit editions of Windows.

IA-32 versions of Linux, the BSDs, OS X, Solaris, Haiku, and the Enterprise/Datacenter versions of Windows support PAE.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

unkel wrote: »
    No, the keys are mostly valid. So the installation will activate.

The keys typically are ones that students / start up companies got for free from Microsoft. It is illegal to sell them (violates the T&C that you sign up to when getting them) and if you buy one of these from a reddit reseller, you are not buying a genuine license (just a working key)

They are mostly MSDN keys resold. Unless a seller will ship or even scan a copy of the key on the certificate it's probably this

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yoyo wrote: »
    They are mostly MSDN keys resold. Unless a seller will ship or even scan a copy of the key on the certificate it's probably this

They used to be mostly MSDN a few years ago but from what I gather most are Dreamspark / Bizspark now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yes, it was a key i got from a reddit reseller, who seems to have been around for a while, so i first got the ms office key and then the windows key after i dialled back to W7 and the os needed activation.

Just on the anti virus; not everyone is competent enough to spot, or remove malware, or viruses. Ive used norton for years and so far it has managed to help keep my system free (afaik) of viruses and malware. I may have managed to build the computer, but to be honest, i mostly stumbled through the process and got the shopping list and help right here on boards. Keeping it virus free is something i rely on norton to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

goz83 wrote: »
    . Keeping it virus free is something i rely on norton to do.

To be honest, that sentiment is what gets most people infected in the first place. AV software is of course important, but none are fool proof. Good browsing practice and vigilance need to be used in conjunction with your AV to keep your PC free of viruses, malware etc.

Advertisement