Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seasonal work and permanent

Options
  • 14-11-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i had two interviews a few days ago - one for a seasonal role and one permanent. I was told this week that I successfully managed to land the seasonal work and I start in a few days, yet I hadn't heard back from the other place yet. im leaning towards the permanent position, but of course the seasonal work will be good on the CV.

in my seasonal interview I didn't mention I had another interview that same day for the permanent role. I read up on a few interview etiquette tips/articles and was read it was not a good idea to mention other interviews as it shows perhaps a lack of loyalty, that they want you to be focused on them and not compete for your attention. I did the same in my interview for the permanent role.

my worry is that ive accepted the seasonal work, and now the other place may ring up saying I was successful there as well, and I will have to explain to the seasonal crowd that I want to take the permament job. surely they would understand that a permanent position would take priority, that I would want security instead of being dumped after a few weeks? would I be looked upon as dishonest for having said nothing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No one ever mentions other interviews you were at so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

acefifteen wrote: »
    `...surely they would understand that a permanent position would take priority

If they're anyways decent, then yes, they'd be understanding.

If they're not, then you don't want to work for them.

Don't feel bad about it, if they hired you and then changed their minds, they'd let you go without a 2nd thought. You can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

People leave short term seasonal work all the time because they get offers of more hours elsewhere, permanent jobs, or find the work isn't for them. You don't really owe them anything so I wouldn't be worrying about it. If you want to leave for whatever reason nobody can stop you.

Advertisement