Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading filter

Options
  • 14-11-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have kept a fancy goldfish/minnows/danios tank for over 3 years and recently upgraded my tank. From reading previous threads i have a learned about few things i have done that maybe i shouldnt but all the fish are fine and even seem to enjoy the new tank/space more.

I never cycled the original tank or the new tank. I have changed the filter media straight for a new one.I have washed the filter media with tap water when in was over clogged and prevented water flow. I have never treated the tap water i use with anything.

My old filter stopped working due to been overclogged after the first two weeks so i put in new media and fed a bit less as i think i was overfeeding because i heard different foods can make it more exciting and nutritious so i was putting in a bit of everything. This new media has been running for a month and everyone is fine but looking at the old box its not enough for the tank so i bought a new filter and my question is how to put it in safely.

I enjoy fishkeeping and want to get better at it and would i be rite in saying when i move on to a tropical setup these fish can be a lot more sensitive.And did i get away with it cause there hardy fish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi. You need to read up on setting up a new tank. It can take a good few weeks to get the cycle finished and can be a pain to do but it has to be done to prevent fish loss or and needless suffering on the fish. Best thing to kick start the cycle is to get squeezing from an established filter and feed lightly during the cycle and never rinse filter media under fresh water. Use tank water only. Also most water needs to be treated before put in a tank. Join irishfishforum.com and all the info and help can be found there

Advertisement