Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€600 Build

Options
  • 14-11-2015 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi All
    My Young fella wants me to help him build a gaming pc for christmas
    Been a long time since building any pc's so looking for a little advice / recommendations
    budget is around 600
    At the moment he is into minecraft / robolox on the web
    flight sim and a few older games like call of duty

i have seen a couple of threads here recommending intel processor I3 or I5
    and a h81 motherboard
    i have had a look on ebay but there appear to be a number of different h81 mobo's
    asus / gigabyte / asrock

can anyone reccomend one thats good enough bearing in mind the total budget of 600 -650
    what form ? atx / micro atx

Also is there any where bricks & mortar shops that you can walk into and buy or is online best
    Also looking for a case with see through panel as this would be a large item would the shipping be prohibitive

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i3 4160 €120
    GTX950 €160
    8gb RAM €40
    H81M board €50
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €50
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €580

i3 is fine for gaming, this'll play anything at High settings

Any board by MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock is fine, same with the graphics card

RAM go for Crucial or Kingston, or Hyper X

PSU is XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair or BeQuiet

SSD I'd get a Crucial BX100

Computer Universe or mindfactory are well priced for components

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

i3 4160 €120
    GTX950 €160
    8gb RAM €40
    H81M board €50
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €50
    Case €50
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €580

i3 is fine for gaming, this'll play anything at High settings

Any board by MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock is fine, same with the graphics card

RAM go for Crucial or Kingston, or Hyper X

PSU is XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair or BeQuiet

SSD I'd get a Crucial BX100

Computer Universe or mindfactory are well priced for components
    Brillo
    Thanks for your reply
    Can start getting the bits and have it all ready for him to assemble over christmas
    Cheers :-)

Just an update
    ordered and received
    asus z97 board
    8gb crucial ballistix ram
    intel i 3 processor
    120gb ssd
    2tb sshd
    azus 2gb gtx 750 ti oc
    Sharkoon case

Waiting to get keyboard and monitor

Whats best ?
    I notice that things have gone back to ps2 keyboard and mouse
    I thought they had gone out of fashion
    is there an advantage to ps 2 over usb

Looking forward to watching the young fella putting it all togeather should be a good confidence builder for him
    Cheers

Well we have managed to assemble same with the only hiccup being the need to connect the addtional power cable for the cpu would not boot on first attempt
    It seems pretty quiet considering the 2 big fans in the case a fan on the cpu and 2 fans on the video card I thought it would be like a hoverboard floating off the floor

He seems very happy with world of warships 60fps

One question I have for you is
    Do we need to disable the onboard graphics in the bios I assume the bios sees the new video card and is using it no problem
    but is there any advantage to disabling the onboard will it free up any resourses

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Do we need to disable the onboard graphics in the bios I assume the bios sees the new video card and is using it no problem
    but is there any advantage to disabling the onboard will it free up any resourses

No, turning it off wouldn't free up any resources unless it starts being used in tandem with the discrete GPU when DX12 and/or Vulkan come out, but that'll have a performance gain you'll likely want.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    No, turning it off wouldn't free up any resources unless it starts being used in tandem with the discrete GPU when DX12 and/or Vulkan come out, but that'll have a performance gain you'll likely want.
    Thank you
    Will leave well enough alone so as it seems to be going great :-)

Advertisement