Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1992 Cablelink/Sky dispute. Galway/Waterford?

• 14-11-2015 11:39am

As the title implies, were Galway and Waterford caught up in the 1992-94 carriage dispute between Cablelink and Sky, which saw the basic Sky channels being pulled from Cablelink Dublin for that time?

I mentioned it to a friend in Galway who couldn't recall being without Sky One during that time, specifically she couldn't recall being without The Simpsons for two years!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

They would have to have been, as Galway Cablevision & Waterford Cablevision became part of Cablelink in 1986.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Not necessarily. I was working for Cablelink at the time and was told that Sky specifically wanted Sky One and Sky News removed from the Dublin cable system. Cablelink did exactly that, but because no mention was made of anything other than the Dublin cable system, the channels continued to be carried on Dublin MMDS!

This was when satellite dishes really started to make an appearance in Dublin, as Sky One and Sky News were available subscription-free on Astra 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

Yes, Waterford was affected. Remember it well - had to get a college buddy to record The Simpsons for me on VHS! He was from another town and had chorus (or whatever it was called at the time).

Advertisement