Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am sure things will have settled down by then. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Please God! Hopefully I won't be heading over with it dominating my thoughts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Heading to brussels in january. Worried the holiday will be ruined with what i've been reading in the papers today. Any thoughts anyone?
    Stolen from elsewhere on boards and to paraphrase

If you where in the theatre on that Friday night you had a 8 % chance of dying. Now that is high enough but that's before considering all the other percentages. You are more likely to be killed driving to the airport than in a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Much more chance of you being killed in your car or a house fire, perhaps move in to a tent and walk around the place.

I'm not speaking specifically about losing my life. If I were trying to enjoy a holiday in an area that has been attacked by terrorists I would consider that a ruined and horrifying trip.

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    I'm not speaking specifically about losing my life. If I were trying to enjoy a holiday in an area that has been attacked by terrorists I would consider that a ruined and horrifying trip.

Again the same odds apply. Highly unlikely. Go enjoy yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Stolen from elsewhere on boards and to paraphrase

If you where in the theatre on that Friday night you had a 8 % chance of dying. Now that is high enough but that's before considering all the other percentages. You are more likely to be killed driving to the airport than in a terrorist attack.

As if those in the Bataclan who didnt die were unscathed by the experience. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I'm over every second week and not bothered, was actually staying in Molenbeek when they did the arrests, I've always found that area (cosidered a "den of radicalism") to be fine too. It's like people who wouldn't go to Belfast during the troubles or even Dublin, it's a fine city and they're dealing with it

You've reduced any stress to zero. I salute you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mmclo wrote: »
    I'm over every second week and not bothered, was actually staying in Molenbeek when they did the arrests, I've always found that area (cosidered a "den of radicalism") to be fine too. It's like people who wouldn't go to Belfast during the troubles or even Dublin, it's a fine city and they're dealing with it
    I wouldnt go to Belfast now, never mind during troubles.

fits wrote: »
    As if those in the Bataclan who didnt die were unscathed by the experience. :rolleyes:

Not what I said and also entirely missing the point I was making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree completely with everyone who still wants to travel and isn't going to be put off. However there is definitely one thing that I would be conscious of and that is the validity of your travel insurance. As far as I know if the DFA has advised against travel to a country then your travel insurance becomes null and void.
    I could be wrong but it's definitely something I would get checked as potentially you could be traveling without any insurance cover.

The DFA won't tell me where I can and cannot go. I am going to Tunisia and Eygpt despite what the DFA say. Who is going to stop me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Can't wait for our annual 3 weeks in France next May/June.

As an aside op, with all of the security in place since the attacks, it's probably one of the safer counties at the minute!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

The whole point of a holiday to me is to relax, unwind and experience a new culture. If I'm constantly on edge and worrying, then it would defeat the purpose of going on holiday to me. Unfortunately, Europe is going through a very turbulent time at the minute and we won't know how it'll pan out for the foreseeable future. I would rather travel to safer countries and have peace of mind for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would rather travel to safer countries and have peace of mind for the next while.

What safer countries out of interest? If you are ruling out the whole of Europe them you are down to a handful that are safer.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What safer countries out of interest? If you are ruling out the whole of Europe them you are down to a handful that are safer.

New Zealand and Canada maybe?

Really....that's good to know. Have you confirmation from an insurance company to verify this?
    You are incorrect!

Ok ....that's good to know. However I think it's fair to say that most people in Ireland buy travel insurance from companies that are bound by Irish law and directives from the DFA. I'm just saying that if someone is traveling to a country that the DFA advises against traveling to then it's no harm to check with your travel insurance company to ensure that you do have cover. Forget terrorist attacks...what happens if you or a family member has a medical emergency or need to get home unexpectedly because of an emergency?? It's not a position that I'd like to be in.
    Yes. The insurance I uses which is not Irish have no such restrictions on cover.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Like I said already, Iceland is in Europe but is still extremely safe. Fair enough if incidents like what happened in Paris last weekend were isolated incidences but France for example has been on a code red terror alert for some time. If people want to travel then so be it but like I said I would prefer to travel to low risk countries. I have a young child and I would not feel at ease taking her to Paris again until the terror risk is lifted, however long that might take. Each to their own really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not criticising you at all but there are few countries in the world safer than European countries. You can rule out the whole of Africa and Asia for example. North America is under as much if not more threat than Europe. New Zealand and Australia maybe but it is hardly a cultural experience. South America has its own problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Antartica it is! Do what days do Ryanair fly out to Rothera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Multitrip.ie in their General Exclusions state

"19. Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the
    Department of Foreign Affairs*or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body
    has advised against all or all but essential travel."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/by-wendy-perrin-the-terrorist-attacks-in-paris-063849605.html

A great article on why we should not let fear keep us at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

It certainly is.

I was merely showing that people were being told to stop scaremongering when they were in fact telling the truth about advice from DFA being included in the terms and conditions of their Irish travel insurance.

In relation to the OP it would not bother me in the slightest, I'm going to London for 5 nights next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No unless the DFA advice otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

You can't help how you feel
    If you think your going to spend the trip in a state of trepidation then it hardly seems worth going
    If you think you will only be nervous around the airport and on the plane,and won't spend the intervening period worrying about the return trip then go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It was still very good advice to check the travel insurance policy.

VHI:
    Geographical Limits: The countries of the Zone for which You have paid the appropriate premium, except those countries or parts of
    countries where the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has advised against travel

123.ie:

11 You travelling to a country where the Department of Foreign
    Affairs has advised against all but essential travel.

insure&go:
    u. Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the
    Travel Advice Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs or
    World Health Organisation have advised the public not to
    travel.

From a quick look it is quite a common condition and therefore the advice to check it is very good advice. I had issues getting insurance for trips to North Korea and Nepal before, doesn't mean its impossible I just had to be careful to ensure I was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Yes, but dismissing the advice to check the insurance policy was incorrect.

The company I used provided limited insurance and it was stipulated I must have extended insurance for when I was in North Korea. These documents were checked and insurance company was rung before I was issued with the group visa.

You seem to make a lot of statements that are not always true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irishdevy

I do believe it is getting harder do find a safe country to have a family holiday in Europe mainland might be a high risk for long enough now so if where you I'd stay closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Irishdevy wrote: »
    I do believe it is getting harder do find a safe country to have a family holiday in Europe mainland might be a high risk for long enough now so if where you I'd stay closer to home.

Getting in your car is high risk. Travelling to mainland Europe is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

VG31 wrote: »
    Getting in your car is high risk. Travelling to mainland Europe is not.

Is travelling to mainland Europe by car high risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Well going to mainland Europe in a car is a longer journey and involves driving on the wrong side of the road, so is marginally more dangerous. The risk of terrorism is negligible either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

No more risky that going to the shops in your car.

I don't own a car, I'm safe either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

What catbear said. Weirdos can pop up anywhere in the world at any time. Don't let isolated incidents scare you off having a great time unless there are travel warnings. There is risk in everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just booked two return flights for a night in Paris next weekend for €20. Redeemed a reward night against four star hotel and paid the extra. €50 for two for flights and accommodation. So in answer to thread title...no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well going to mainland Europe in a car is a longer journey and involves driving on the wrong side of the road, so is marginally more dangerous. The risk of terrorism is negligible either way.

And driving in a country with people that were handed out driving licenses without a driving test isn't ;) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You know I was thinking again this evening about my Late Loving Dad and his up-coming 2nd Anniversary Mass and thinking what he would actually expect from me...

I shall be found attending a Mass, on that very date, attending an International Mass where parts of the Mass & Readings will be in English, in none other than the Great Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

Flights booked and accommodation reserved.
    My Late Loving Dad would expect nothing less from me to be honest. He certainly would not like me to let fear be shown that's for sure.

Until and unless I hear of anything specific from a Government Official here closer that date, then that is where I shall be spending my Late Loving Dads 2nd Anniversary.

Think that answers the question from my own perspective anyways,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Collie D wrote: »
    Just booked two return flights for a night in Paris next weekend for €20. Redeemed a reward night against four star hotel and paid the extra. €50 for two for flights and accommodation. So in answer to thread title...no

Fair play. I've been hoovering up those five euro Ryanair flights like a bad boy too. Can't bate 'em with a schtick !

My father worked for Aer Rianta for over 30 years. I have lots of childhood memories of him coming home late for his tea, thanks to the IRA calling in yet another bomb scare to Dublin Airport. He was high enough up on the food chain, to be fairly heavily involved in the security protocols, when those fun & games were going on during the Troubles. It never put him - or us - off traveling back then & it certainly won't put me off now.

I was in Brussels 2 days before the attacks on Paris. It is very, very strange watching telly now & seeing machine gun carrying soldiers, walking thru the deserted Grand-Place. That is the gorgeous old square, that I wandered through only a few days before, with not a single thought in my head, that wasn't related to chocolate and beer. Still won't put me off going back in the New Year though.

This is a genuine question that I have to people that are intending to travel to countries that the Department of Foreign Affairs on their website are warning against travel to.
    For example in the case of both France and Belgium it's saying....Exercise extreme caution.
    Has anybody actually checked with their travel insurance company that they will be covered?
    I'm not traveling in the near future but if I had been I know I would have been very reluctant to have cancelled but at the same time I would be very uneasy about traveling without insurance cover.
    I'm aware that you can get insurance from providers outside of Ireland but I think it's fair to say most of us use the run of the mill companies like Multitrip.com and 123.
    Id be very interested to hear people's opinions and if there are Irish based travel insurance companies that guarantees that this advice from the DFA doesn't make the policy invalid.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

johnire wrote: »
    This is a genuine question that I have to people that are intending to travel to countries that the Department of Foreign Affairs on their website are warning against travel to.
    For example in the case of both France and Belgium it's saying....Exercise extreme caution.
    Has anybody actually checked with their travel insurance company that they will be covered?
    I'm not traveling in the near future but if I had been I know I would have been very reluctant to have cancelled but at the same time I would be very uneasy about traveling without insurance cover.
    I'm aware that you can get insurance from providers outside of Ireland but I think it's fair to say most of us use the run of the mill companies like Multitrip.com and 123.
    Id be very interested to hear people's opinions and if there are Irish based travel insurance companies that guarantees that this advice from the DFA doesn't make the policy invalid.
    Many thanks
    I think it would only be a problem with insurance if the DFA explicitly advised against travel, for example Tunisia or Egypt which both have a status of 'avoid un-nessesary travel'. I don't think a status of 'exercise extreme caution' would void your travel insurance. But as always with these sort of things, it's no harm to check with your provider in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sorry folks, but what is all the chat about travel insurance for?

Theres comments about being "uneasy about traveling without insurance cover. "
    What should/ would/ could an insurance cover you when travelling, that suddenly you arent covered for with a terrorism clause. Or what should insurance cover you against terrorism or its effects?

My understanding (at least the benefits that appeal to me) is that travel insurance covers cancellation if you get sick, repatriation if you get sick, cancellation if you have a berevment in the family or sickness in the family, covers hospital visits abroad (which is irrelevant in the nicer countries of the EU where the EHIC does the trick), loss of bags etc.

I cannot see how the major benefits of travel insurance when you are travelling is affected by possible acts of terrorism.
    What am I missing ?

i.e. if my dad dies and I plan to fly to Belgium, its somewhat irrelevant whats happening in Belgium as my cancellation is down to my dad dying, not terrorism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've got travel insurance with Laya and this is all they say on the matter:
    Terrorism
    Q - Will I be covered for terrorist activity?
    A - Yes, provided it does not involve nuclear, chemical or biological weapons or agents.

http://www.layatravelinsurance.ie/faqs.aspx#Terrorism

• Advertisement
Advertisement