Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've got travel insurance with Laya and this is all they say on the matter:
    http://www.layatravelinsurance.ie/faqs.aspx#Terrorism
    yea, but covered for what ?

getting hurt or killed by a terrorist ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree completely with what you are saying
    However my point is that if the government has advised not to travel to a location and you decide to travel anyway against their advice then I would have thought that your entire travel insurance policy becomes obsolete??
    Surely this is something that people need to check before traveling?
    Like I say I would still travel but I would want to make sure that I have cover for any normal eventuality.

sorry folks, but what is all the chat about travel insurance for?

Theres comments about being "uneasy about traveling without insurance cover. "
    What should/ would/ could an insurance cover you when travelling, that suddenly you arent covered for with a terrorism clause. Or what should insurance cover you against terrorism or its effects?

My understanding (at least the benefits that appeal to me) is that travel insurance covers cancellation if you get sick, repatriation if you get sick, cancellation if you have a berevment in the family or sickness in the family, covers hospital visits abroad (which is irrelevant in the nicer countries of the EU where the EHIC does the trick), loss of bags etc.

I cannot see how the major benefits of travel insurance when you are travelling is affected by possible acts of terrorism.
    What am I missing ?

i.e. if my dad dies and I plan to fly to Belgium, its somewhat irrelevant whats happening in Belgium as my cancellation is down to my dad dying, not terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭skybhoy121

My wife and I are travelling to Brussels next weekend for a pre Xmas break...I've been extremely scepitcal of going since the terror attack and all he news relating to that lately..over the past week I have changed my mind several times about whether I want to go or not..no news seems to be coming out of it either. Am I being very silly or are my fears jusitified.? Has anyone been there in recent weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was talking to some colleagues there on friday and they said life is going on as normal for them. Some outlying metro stations were still closed late last week but i am sure they are open again by now.

Id still go of i were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

skybhoy121 wrote: »
    My wife and I are travelling to Brussels next weekend for a pre Xmas break...I've been extremely scepitcal of going since the terror attack and all he news relating to that lately..over the past week I have changed my mind several times about whether I want to go or not..no news seems to be coming out of it either. Am I being very silly or are my fears jusitified.? Has anyone been there in recent weeks

No news is good news imo.

As no terrorists strikes have actually occurred in Belgium, I think that technically speaking, your fears are not justified. But everyone is different. If your peace of mind & enjoyment of your holiday, would be compromised by being somewhere that was recently under threat, then cancel & go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

You could have a heart attack in the morning You could be involved in a car crash on the way to the airport.
    Forget about the fears and go and enjoy yourself.
    I can't see there being a terrorist attack and even if there is, the chances of being caught up in one is minimal. Wrong place wrong time, just like it is when someone crashes into you.
    And people crash into people every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I arrived in Brussels on Monday, going home today. Definitely go, few soldiers on the street is the only difference. Everything is open, Christmas market is fully open. Lockdown is gone and terror alert is reduced. You ever missed the shíte weather on Monday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Currently sat in Starbucks in Canary Wharf, London. Security around here is pretty impressive with barriers at all road entrances, loads of security personell around and people using mirrors on sticks to look under cars. Witnessed an evacuation near London Bridge yesterday. They are taking these risks incredibly seriously in London and that provides me with far more assurance than when I'm walking around the streets of Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Another mass shooting the USA. 14 dead.
    And thats the second one in a day, and 355 in the year
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

And somehow the USA is safe, and Brussels with a downtown full of soldiers ready to neutralise any muppet jihadis (but essentially making it pointless to try) isn't ?

I was in Belgium last week, and will be there twice again in the next month, and have rationalised it enough to realise that I am probably at significantly more danger on the drive to the airport (3500 road deaths per year in Germany) than in Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I have been invited to stay with relations in Turkey for 3 weeks this June/July all I need is to book flights - myself, wife and two kids.

its in the Ölüdeniz area which i suppose in southwestern Turkey.

I am feeling reluctant tbh but would like your input.

ta

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Yes!

Turkey is a lovely country, I've been to Istanbul and Alanya in the south! Would happily go back again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ahh no, 10 people killed there yesterday, friend was in that restaurant a few week ago http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jan/12/istanbul-explosion-several-reported-killed-in-tourist-area-live-updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Yes

Ahh no, 10 people killed there yesterday, friend was in that restaurant a few week ago http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jan/12/istanbul-explosion-several-reported-killed-in-tourist-area-live-updates

I'd a friend that was in the twin towers the week before they were destroyed

Not really relevant

mansize wrote: »
    I'd a friend that was in the twin towers the week before they were destroyed

Not really relevant

Your in a country in cahoots with ISIS, every child has to be legally christened Muslim, borders on warzones and Russia wants to bomb it back to the stone age. Refugees spilling over the border and some of them have started using sexual assault as a weapon of war.

All that should be enough of a red flag to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I have a friend who was in a cafe just off Grafton St, when a man carrying two coffees tripped over his scarf.

Everybody who ever witnessed something unfortunate had a friend who could reference the fact of them having been there. Same as everybody who ever witnessed something completely innocuous.

Everything bad that happens somewhere happens. Remember that cafe in Sydney where hostages were killed in 2014? I was there prior to the incident happening. About 10 years before. Remember the M50 was closed earlier this year after a pile-up? I'd driven along that same stretch not a day before. I've been on Talbot street many times. Never been blown up.

Get thee back to Probability 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

Absolutely! It's a lovely country, with lovely people.

That friend still lives there and has no intention of moving back. I get that it's irrelevant but there's enough else going on to make you stop and think.
    If there are safer options i'd be taking the wife and kids there first. The whole area is a powder keg at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

id want to go somewhere to relax. no way id go near the place right now. more than likely youd be grand. but still of all the great places to see in the world, turkey would be way down on my list of priorites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

sexual assault

This^^.

The amount of unreported rapes that have come out in Europe over the last while. Turkey be the last place I'd be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Beautiful part of the world with lovely people! Go!

You'll have a great time and discover some of the most gorgeous beaches in Europe! No problems in the south west tourist areas, of course there is a risk but that risk is minimal. Would you re-consider going to Paris? Or London? Terror threats there are at maximum levels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

.....every child has to be legally christened Muslim.......

Where did you get this from? My (catholic) relatives born in turkey will be most interested.

Your in a country in cahoots with ISIS, every child has to be legally christened Muslim, borders on warzones and Russia wants to bomb it back to the stone age. Refugees spilling over the border and some of them have started using sexual assault as a weapon of war.

All that should be enough of a red flag to most people.

How does one Christen a Muslim???

I'm off to Cologne later. Unless the DFA advise against it- it's safe.

This^^.

The amount of unreported rapes that have come out in Europe over the last while. Turkey be the last place I'd be going.

Surely Europe would be the last place you'd be going?

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    How does one Christen a Muslim???

Buddhist ceremony. Carried out by a rabbi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If your the type of person who jumps at the thought of a broken street light, stay at home. If your a traveller aware of your surroundings, takes note of all precautions and advice available, by all means go. The OP mentions they will be living with a local family in a local area, I can't see any reason why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Not being racist or anything but if you're skin is white and pale and considered of European origin, then you may be a threat!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Personally, not my cup of tea. Anywhere people go, just for the sun is a bad idea. also as previous posters said. It is not always the safest, especially for young women.

Not being racist or anything but if you're skin is white and pale and considered of European origin, then you may be a threat!

Well in fairness turks are exactly the most coloured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Yep but ensure your insurance is valid if the Irish embassy issue a no travel warning or you need to leave quickly .

Beautiful country have a ball ! As with all countries be safe and dont put yourself or your family in unnecessary danger

A threat to whom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Maybe

The probability of major massacres of western tourist over the coming year is 100%
    unless governments take action now and issue warnings. Brits are target no 1, as they have already bled the french and Russians.
    Daesh and the other jihadists groups have thoroughly infiltrated Turkey
    and have carried out numerous attacks usually against the enemies of the AKP(Turk government) there.

As Daesh and the AKP have a bizarre alliance going on, as they needed/used each other.

Now (North Aleppo) Daesh supplyline to Turkey is about to be over run in coming months
    Soon Daesh no longer needs Turkey as its supply line will be cut
    Daesh have the means, money, and men to commit mass attacks against tourists in Turkey, the only thing stopping them up to NOW is this alliance
    I am not sure who carried out todays attack it might be an attempt by another group to frame Daesh. I don't think its Daesh due to timing or small scale of it.

Situation in North Aleppo SAA and SDF/YPG are cutting Daesh off from Turkey In pincer movement
    Click on link and zoom in on North Aleppo
    http://i.imgur.com/thBZ5L4.png
    thBZ5L4.png

I predicated the Tunisia tourist massacres and warned people that Egypt(Sinai/Sharm) was a death trap waiting to happen years ago given the deteriorating security situations and rise of militant islamist activates in Sinai, Libya and Tunsia countryside i was sneered at on here. 3 Irish died on beach in Tunisia

Governments produced poor security advice and travel agencies sent people into death traps in MENA region despite the explosion in Jihadism since "arab spring".

Note
    all mass russian tourism to Turkey is stopped

Thanks for th advice guys.

as you can see by the clear devide in opinion you can understand why my head is spinning.
    I really liked our last trip 4yrs ago to the same area when we attended their wedding, and we, and they, would really love to do it again.
    They are from the UK and own a property over there in a beautiful area, and his offer is very generous, but my families safety is paramount in all this.

Flights are provisionally booked, but I think I am going to have to have a conversation with my realations. If I pull out now (after weeks passing since I said I would be interested) then there will be a lot of sad faces.
    He of course will tell me I am being silly and overreacting, but the sense I get from reading up this past week is that the situation in Syria is at a very serious cross roads and will go either way very very soon.
    Also ISIS have a clear agenda of striking terror into holiday goers, and everyone is fair game.

...but that doesn't necessarily just mean in Turkey either

Arghhhhhh this is a hard one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Horrible situation to be in. More than likely you would go and have a ball. Come back and tell us you had a great time.

It's really easy for me not to go, because I don't have the great opportunity you do!

It comes down to this, can you put it out of your mind and switch off to potential threats, or are you going to be looking at every local as a potential threat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I was there once and felt hugely uncomfortable as a woman waling alone on the streets. I would not return. I am well travelled and Turkey and Egypt were the two places I vowed never to go back to.

There are FAR more interesting places to see.

Parchment wrote: »
    I was there once and felt hugely uncomfortable as a woman waling alone on the streets. I would not return. I am well travelled and Turkey and Egypt were the two places I vowed never to go back to.

There are FAR more interesting places to see.

Turkey isn't really one of those countries that is recommended for women alone. You must be comfortable to be taken outside your comfort zone for you to enjoy your travels to these areas if alone. Its a common complaint for Turkey. Likewise many people love the country, its just a matter of personal opinion. Considering the situation of the OP, its not a matter of Turkey vs XXX, its not like they haven't been there before and they do know some locals, so I'd imagine the situation is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have been travelling to Turkey for years.,Kushadasi in particular. Never had a problem and neither had any of the women young and old . The Turks are sound out just like pretty much all nationalities are really. The chances of these ISIS clowns striking in Turkey is no different to them striking in London, Munich whereever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Turkey isn't really one of those countries that is recommended for women alone. You must be comfortable to be taken outside your comfort zone for you to enjoy your travels to these areas if alone. Its a common complaint for Turkey. Likewise many people love the country, its just a matter of personal opinion. Considering the situation of the OP, its not a matter of Turkey vs XXX, its not like they haven't been there before and they do know some locals, so I'd imagine the situation is different.

I have done huge amounts of solo travel and have been taken out of my comfort zone many times but I felt intimidated in Turkey. That's the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Reports of bombs going off in Turkey at police hq in various cities.

Flights booked today. I am going.

Cant let these f*cking cretins ruin what could be a great family holiday/event

might sound a bit reckless and folly to some; but I we will keeps our wits about us and try not also let it impact, or take the goodness out of the holiday.

so its Ölüdeniz end of June into July in case I dont return:o:)

Hello from beautiful Köln!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

What's the chances of getting caught up in terrorist attacked in Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blondiebaby88

Completely normal. Stay away from far East countries and you'll be fine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Completely normal. Stay away from far East countries and you'll be fine!

Why far East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why far East?

It's where the Ra go for their holiers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I made it to Paris last weekend and can't wait to go back. Security is tight, men with guns everywhere and not just the bog standard gendarmes.

Security alert at CDG on Sunday morning and we got evacuated by the army. Not for one second did I feel scared, inconvenienced yes but scared not in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It wouldn't stop me travelling to Europe, US, Canaries etc, but I would think twice about the likes of Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt etc.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    It wouldn't stop me travelling to Europe, US, Canaries etc, but I would think twice about the likes of Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt etc.

Funnily enough, the US would be more dangerous with all it's mass murders. But because its America its seen differently.

Advertisement