Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

NIMAN wrote: »
    It wouldn't stop me travelling to Europe, US, Canaries etc, but I would think twice about the likes of Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt etc.

I can understand you mentioning Egypt and Tunisia given recent events (Russian Plane bomb and Beach/Museum Attacks) but why bring Morocco into this. It's like an American in the 70s/80s saying that they wouldn't visit Belfast, Derry, and Limerick because of the conflict in the North East of our island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I can understand you mentioning Egypt and Tunisia given recent events (Russian Plane bomb and Beach/Museum Attacks) but why bring Morocco into this. It's like an American in the 70s/80s saying that they wouldn't visit Belfast, Derry, and Limerick because of the conflict in the North East of our island.

Or maybe Turkey and Japan...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OP, there are always genuine concerns about certain locations when travelling. I suppose your best bet is to avoid the major tourist attractions if it's a major concern of yours which will probably put a dampener on some things but its really up to you.

I was told to avoid Nairobi years ago when in Kenya but had a great time when I travelled there. But I took simple precautions, spent a bit extra to stay in a slightly nicer more secure hotel. Got a driver when there from a reliable source etc. It was an experience but I was always cautious and thought about stuff before I did things.

Unfortunately in this time no where is truly safe and avoiding visiting places for a holiday is playing into the hands of these cowardly b*stards who want you to do exactly that.

It's really up to you to make that decision. If I had young children, I certainly wouldn't go to any where that's been hit lately by terrorists for a large number of obvious reasons.

Apart from that use your own judgement and also read and ask questions on lots of travel forms to get more reliable info from those there rather than relying on news media who tend to sensationalise everything to see their story and get ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    <snip>
    I was told to avoid Nairobi years ago when in Kenya but had a great time when I travelled there. But I took simple precautions, spent a bit extra to stay in a slightly nicer more secure hotel. Got a driver when there from a reliable source etc. It was an experience but I was always cautious and thought about stuff before I did things.
    <snip>
    aaactually, the slightly nicer, slightly more full of rich westerners from rich countries like the UK or Germany or France which are involved in various wars in the arab region for the past 20 years, are MORE likely to be hit than your shabbier place I would have though

I could go through a heap of attacks and the common thread is not that the hotel is shabby, but that its better than normal, if not the best hotel in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    you mean, russia says that isis says that they will kidnap russian terrorists.

if you're russian, and you believe the russian govenments word, and isis, then indeed, panic.

and put the press release into perspective, Russia is pissed with Turkey for shooting down one of its jets recently (because only russia can shoot down planes) and was already looking to stop Russian tourists going to Turkey in order to punish Turkey, so I'd take this as a way of damaging Turkey than warning of any real danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Keplar240B wrote: »

If a Russian state agency said it was daytime at noon, I'd go to a window to check. This stinks of propaganda and misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi!

We have booked to go to the Jazz Festival in Brussels in May next. However, my kids are really nervous about going, particularly my son given the Paris attacks - we were in Paris two weeks before the attacks and got stuck for 20 minutes between stations on the underground - it wasn't an electrical fault that was going through my mind at the time and the media reports that Brussels is such a hot bed of radicalism - they feel that an extremely popular long-standing jazz festival would be a terrorist target - they are 14 and 13 - we were to stay in an IYHA Youth Hostel in the Centre of the City - does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to still go to Brussels for the festival in May?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

May is a lifetime away. I was in Paris two weeks ago and I didn't feel scared for one minute, even when I was evacuated from the airport due to a security alert. Inconvenienced yes but not scared.

I wouldn't make a decision either way this far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I passed through Paris three days after the attacks. A few extra police around, but I didn't feel at all uncomfortable. There's another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057522365 where others have pointed out you're at much greater risk from things like road accidents than terrorism. Just go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

i was staying in molenbeck (where the terrorists came from) a week after the attacks. Brussels was completely safe. Plenty of cops and army out in numbers. So felt safe always. Just got a small bit of agro from mulsim yoofs in passing. I wouldnt advise a girl to walk around on her own though...(in the molenbeck area of the city) My missus did for a bit and she was followed until I caught up.
    honestly youd get more aggro in dublin on a friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I know chances are tiny just like your chances of being eaten by a Shark. But if you go and swim in Shark infested waters your chances have suddenly shot up.

Paris would be considered Shark infested waters, and during the euros even more so. Every radical in France would love to attack during that tournament.

I'll still go because as an Irish fan I feel they'd be more likely to target places when the likes of France, England, Russia and Spain are playing not a country like Ireland.

There is a 100% chance they'll plan a few attacks during the euros but I think the chances of them being foiled are high and the chances of Irish, swedish, Belgium or Italian fans being targeted are very low.

So I'll still go but I'll be nervous (until the 3Rd pint, I'll be ready to fight by then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi!

We have booked to go to the Jazz Festival in Brussels in May next. However, my kids are really nervous about going, particularly my son given the Paris attacks - we were in Paris two weeks before the attacks and got stuck for 20 minutes between stations on the underground - it wasn't an electrical fault that was going through my mind at the time and the media reports that Brussels is such a hot bed of radicalism - they feel that an extremely popular long-standing jazz festival would be a terrorist target - they are 14 and 13 - we were to stay in an IYHA Youth Hostel in the Centre of the City - does anyone else think it would be a bad idea to still go to Brussels for the festival in May?

I was in Brussels during the machine gun attack on the Jewish Museum nearly two years ago; given what we know know, you might see this as a pre cursor to the Paris attacks. Despite being within half a mile of that museum for the entire day, I only became aware of the attacks from looking up English language newssites. Likewise I have been in Paris since the Bataclan attacks.

Personally, I try not to let these change my travel plans. Each of these cities is large and, in Paris at least, the sites attacked were not the prime tourist sites such that I feel it unlikely that I am in any more danger than I am living in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heading off to Turkey for the first time this summer.
    Wish me luck :P !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

With all the coverage in the international press of the recent gangland shootings in Dublin, there's probably dozens of threads similar to this currently running on foreign discussion websites with titles along the lines of: 'is it safe to holiday in Ireland'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I plan to travel to Australia and Thailand soon and I am genuinely concerned of being caught up in a terrorist attack

when I read the title those 2 countries were the least I was expecting to hear about

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bostonmary

I would be more concerned about the earthquakes than a terrorist in Asia at the moment. They are giving out training in Tokyo right now in case of emergency it is going on all day on HkN.... I had hope to spend the halloween break by going to Tokyo or Hongkong but I think it may be off the list....... anyone else thinking similar

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bostonmary

if anyone is interested in cheap flights now, if you use kayak they giving great deals however if you go directly onto turkish airlines the flights are working out a bit cheaper and they go to a lot of differnt places..... Might be useful for anyone wanting to rough it across europe over the summer, they do stop overs as well just thought would mention this as they fly from Dublin as well as the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Vickysg24

As the title says - would you travel to Turkey with everything that's going on in Syria? Myself and the dear husband booked to go to Marmaris in July '16 but now we keep getting comments from people when we say where we're going about how 'they wouldn't go near Turkey with everything that's going on' and 'are you sure you's will be safe' it's starting to annoy me a little now as we haven't been able to go on holidays for the past six years due to being skint all the time :( so i've really been looking forward to just getting away. But now everyone is making me paranoid! The MIL asked me this morning if we would consider changing our holiday to somewhere else because of the explosion that happened in Ankara yesterday!!! :eek: I really think no matter where you go in the world there is always the threat of terrorist attacks! I just want real opinions on this really? what would all ye do? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I would feel relatively safe going to Turkish resorts (in Istanbul at the moment), but would keep an eye on the news (I know not very relaxing if you're on holidays).

Most of the previous attacks have been at different political targets in Ankara, and I would imagine that will remain the case, although the latest one is little odd (near to government buildings but in a public place).

Turkey is a pretty big country, it's a bit like people asking if Dublin was safe during the NI troubles..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

The US had issued a "don't go there" notice to US travellers for a few miles away from Ankara. Personally, I might go if it was work related, but no way would I go with children for a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There have been several bombing incidents in turkey.
    Its over run by refugees on the coast, some of whom are terrorists.
    If you think its safe, fine but there's no way I would risk my families lives for a cheap holiday.

but there's no way I would risk my families lives for a cheap holiday.

That's like saying "I wont risk my families lives by driving them to mass". It's actually more likely you'd die on the way to mass.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That's like saying "I wont risk my families lives by driving them to mass". It's actually more likely you'd die on the way to mass.
    indeed. For all the people killed in terrorist attacks in Europe, it is small compared to about 92000 killed on european roads each year
    http://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/sections/press-releases/2013/03/road-traffic-deaths-down-by-25-but-92-000-still-die-each-year-in-the-who-european-region

Look, there are multiple ways you can die/be injured. Struck by lightening, earthquake, volcano, car accident, random shooting, heart attack, bull attack, pecked to death by a swan etc. etc. But the terrorism threat is an additional new threat.

Yes, the threat of dying in any of the above scenarios is slim, but if you keep adding new ways to die, life becomes slightly more risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Off to Turkey in a few weeks. Not one bit afraid. It is a trip done so many times now.

Since your post there has been another suicide bomb, this time in Istanbul with tourists killed.

How do you feel now?

Since your post there has been another suicide bomb, this time in Istanbul with tourists killed.

How do you feel now?

I know it wasnt directed at me, but personally I feel no different to how I felt when German tourists were killed a few months ago. I'm heading to Turkey in a few months, and its likely there will be another terrorist attack by then.

It's an extra danger alright, but rather small compared to other dangers, so it doesn't affect me greatly. Food Poisoning, robberies, car accidents, hurricanes, animal bites are all far more likely occurences. The extra threat of terrorism is so small that it has little baring to me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If posting in here, Keep it Factual & provide relevant sources to support. No trolling or flaming will be tolerated.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just providing the following link that may be of help - DFA Travel Advice.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I have flights booked for Brussels for Thursday week. Not sure what to do now! Would Ryanair refund if you wanted to cancel ?

I have flights booked for Brussels for Thursday week. Not sure what to do now! Would Ryanair refund if you wanted to cancel ?

I'd recommended 1 or 2 days to let the sensationalism calm before making your decision, if you still feel very unsafe then you can make your decision. Ryanair (or any other airline) will not refund your ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It will probably be one of the safest areas in Europe after today.
    You can't lead your life properly if you live in fear.
    Go and enjoy your break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It will probably be one of the safest areas in Europe after today.
    You can't lead your life properly if you live in fear.
    Go and enjoy your break.

It may be, but if the terror threat is still on 'lock down', a lot of places may be closed.
    They'll also be a very different feeling to the city so soon after an attack.
    For those reasons alone, you may want to reconsider if it's a holiday visit.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It may be, but if the terror threat is still on 'lock down', a lot of places may be closed.
    They'll also be a very different feeling to the city so soon after an attack.
    For those reasons alone, you may want to reconsider if it's a holiday visit.

Well we were flying into Brussels and going straight to Bruges. Then heading to Leuvan. We weren't planning staying in Brussels whatsoever just flying in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'd recommended 1 or 2 days to let the sensationalism calm before making your decision, if you still feel very unsafe then you can make your decision. Ryanair (or any other airline) will not refund your ticket.

Aer Lingus are offering refunds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well we were flying into Brussels and going straight to Bruges. Then heading to Leuvan. We weren't planning staying in Brussels whatsoever just flying in and out of it.

I'd reckon that should be fine? Not sure if the terror threat is just specific to Brussels or Belgium as a whole.
    I guess you'd just need to ensure transport in and out of Brussels is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aer Lingus are offering refunds!

Only for people booked to travel today and tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/712192797554642945

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

coylemj wrote: »
    Only for people booked to travel today and tomorrow.

Ah I didn't see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just thinking this today, dya know I actually would be I think... Due to travel within the next few months only to Holland but I will plan to be extra vigilant... Very scary stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Last year I was flying to Amsterdam a few days after the Paris attacks and now I am going to Berlin in the aftermath of the Brussels attacks.
    I must say though that once I was in Amsterdam last year, I didn't feel nervous and put thoughts of attacks to the back of my mind. Hopefully it will be similar in Berlin though obviously the German capital seems a more higher risk target:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Aer Lingus guests who have bookings on flights to or from Brussels on any date from today 22 March to 31 March may change for free online to another date of travel or may request a full refund, or alternatively they can contact our call centre on +353 1 886 8989, or in the U.S. on (800) 585-0672.
    Further updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
    Aer Lingus Guest Service.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

Aer Lingus guests who have bookings on flights to or from Brussels on any date from today 22 March to 31 March may change for free online to another date of travel or may request a full refund, or alternatively they can contact our call centre on +353 1 886 8989, or in the U.S. on (800) 585-0672.
    Further updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
    Aer Lingus Guest Service.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

Fair play to Aer Lingus. I am flying with Ryanair. Going to get onto them now to see what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I was in Belgium and Netherlands in the immediate aftermath of the Bataclan/Paris attacks. I'm also travelling to A'dam again in 3 weeks. I travel to Europe approx once a month and I'm damned if I'm allowing "terror" to put me off doing what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Nah, changes nothing. You literally have more chance of dying by farting too violently than you have of being caught up in a terrorist attack.

That's not to say be stupid though. Stopping to blog on your MacBook in the middle of La Paz is still going to get you robbed and possibly beaten...

When are you due to travel Fred?

• Advertisement
Advertisement