Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Another terrorist attack in Nice.....I am going to Bordeaux next month so obviously quite worried as France seems a huge target:(

It's a very large country. I can't see how you'd feel less safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Another terrorist attack in Nice.....I am going to Bordeaux next month so obviously quite worried as France seems a huge target:(

I truly wouldn't worry. I'd have no hesitation in jumping on a plane tomorrow to any part of France. Have been in Paris twice this year so far and even when I was evacuated from the airport during a scare, I still felt incredibly safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's also a huge country.
    You do realise that 99.99% of the population of France survived the attack last night.

Don't let these things put you off, even if you had been in Nice last night the chances of you being involved in what happened are small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm due to go to Annecy in France next month with my 2 year old daughter. Yes, events like last night do make me feel the *tiniest* bit of hesitation, but the reality is that the chances of being involved in anything are incredibly minuscule. I refuse to let these terrorists spoil the holiday I've been looking forward to for 50 weeks. It's all very well changing your FB profile pic to a French flag, but what France really needs is for business to continue as normal. The only way we can truly help is to bring our tourist euros, stay in their hotels, eat in their restaurants and drink in their bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I have gone to Nice for the past 3 years on holidays and plan to go back in 2 weeks. I am genuinely concerned, however I feel that I should go. I don't want to live in fear my whole life and by giving into these terror attacks they win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Greenduck wrote: »
    I have gone to Nice for the past 3 years on holidays and plan to go back in 2 weeks. I am genuinely concerned, however I feel that I should go. I don't want to live in fear my whole life and by giving into these terror attacks they win.

Ordinarily thousands of people don't congregate in the road at Le Promenade. It has been a very serious, distressing loss of life. It could not have happened on any other day of the year (bar possibly Le Reveillon). Please don't let the lunatics guide your behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

Hello

Planning on booking a holiday away soon and thinking of Brussels, with the possibility of spending a night or two in Bruges as well - just wondering with the recent attacks happening in that part of the world what people think about the safety of traveling there? Has anybody been to Brussels recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was there a few months ago and felt safe, lots of army and police deployed. But given the events in Nice, you're not safe anywhere, am I going to let that determine whether I go on holidays? No.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Went through Charleroi, Brussels and Ghent last month. As above, plenty of police and army presence, particularly in the train stations and airport. Wouldn't be worried at all about going back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

Thanks for the replies, I think I had already kind of made up my mind but it's reassuring to hear all the same! :-) any recommendations of what to see while there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you can spend an evening or 2 in Bruges then its great. During the day it gets a lot of day trippers but come 5pm you have the place to yourself.
    I've heard Ghent and Antwerp are worth a visit too (like Bruges but more life and normality to them) and with the trains being so frequent, everywhere is easy to get to.

Regarding safety, I know dozens of people in Brussels and nobody is dead or injuired or anything. There are a few lunatics out there who may cause trouble, but its not much different to the situation in the north for 30+ years.

And (like mentioned on another thread) road accidents are more dangerous than terrorists. Nearly every week over the past 4 or 5 weeks I've heard of a truck smashing into the end of a traffic jam in Germany killing between 2 and 5people instantly. This doesn't make the news abroad yet a crazy asylum seeker who injures (in an admittedly scary attack) a handful of people is headline news. In reality, being at the end of a traffic jam on a motorway is more likely to get you killed by an inattentive truck driver than any terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

if you can spend an evening or 2 in Bruges then its great. During the day it gets a lot of day trippers but come 5pm you have the place to yourself.
    I've heard Ghent and Antwerp are worth a visit too (like Bruges but more life and normality to them) and with the trains being so frequent, everywhere is easy to get to.

Regarding safety, I know dozens of people in Brussels and nobody is dead or injuired or anything. There are a few lunatics out there who may cause trouble, but its not much different to the situation in the north for 30+ years.

And (like mentioned on another thread) road accidents are more dangerous than terrorists. Nearly every week over the past 4 or 5 weeks I've heard of a truck smashing into the end of a traffic jam in Germany killing between 2 and 5people instantly. This doesn't make the news abroad yet a crazy asylum seeker who injures (in an admittedly scary attack) a handful of people is headline news. In reality, being at the end of a traffic jam on a motorway is more likely to get you killed by an inattentive truck driver than any terrorist.

I hope you are ok?
    Germany being under attack was sadly only a matter of time I guess but as a frequent traveller there, I've decided not to let these attacks affect my future travel plans even if I am nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I am staying in antibes since last Saturday and was in Nice today. It is really harrowing to see the prom and all the flowers and measages left but my girlfriend and I felt perfectly safe there at the same time.
    There were some military patrols on the prom but other than that it appeared relatively normal all things considered, we were hesitant last weekend about comming here but are now glad we did. Nice is a beautiful city well worth seeing and it would be a shame to let cowards and terrorists win.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Funny, I was just posting about very cheap holidays in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100443977

when I saw this one

It is sad to say you are more likely to get set upon or even murdered in Dublin than on holidays from a terrorist attack.

Here are the contents of that post

"Flying via London next week to Sharm el.
    3 Adults 5* hotel FB.
    Flights and hotel all in for €240PP

Told a friend about it and himself and his family are just back 2 Adults and 2 children cost them €800 total for 2 weeks (incl 5* FB and flights) flying for UK too. They had unlimited diving trips thrown in for that. I think he did one every 2 days.

They said it was fantastic so im really looking forward to ours. We've been there before and loved it.

I lived in London and Belfast when there were bombs. I know the story about terrorism. Its there to terrify people, but in fact it is extremely rare to be caught up in a terrorist event, even if there is one in the same place you are. I was in London for 7/7 too. While scary and dangerous if you were near it, the ratio of people killed and injured to the population is tiny. Its all about odds and being very unlucky.

Think of it this way. All the crowd are going to Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Bulgaria, Italy etc now driving prices up in those places.
    Nobody is going to Turkey, Greece or North Africa now because they are scared.
    If you arent the scared type you could do very well on a deal to these places. But the travel agents in Ireland are pulling back on packages to these places so youll have to book flights and hotel yourself.

When you have travelled in South America and Western Africa you will find that you arent scared so easily by travelling.
    While Tunisia is out for now for me as it is unstable, Turkey is still fine and so are Egypt and Greece. Have no fear and you will reap the rewards."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I hope you are ok?
    Germany being under attack was sadly only a matter of time I guess but as a frequent traveller there, I've decided not to let these attacks affect my future travel plans even if I am nervous.
    All grand. Was a few miles out of the city when it happened and had figured out myself by midnight that the hours of no confirmed activity did not fit into a pattern of terrorists looking to cause maximum damage, so headed back in at that stage.
    Bit pissed off that they cancelled the 500th anniversary of the beer purity laws(110 breweries, was going to be savage) but understandable at the same time.

The shooting was a one off and the more we know it seems to be a repeat of a number of schoolyard shootings by students that Germany has experienced in the past decade rather than any Islamic or terror act.

The axe attack earlier in the week is actually more disturbing as that guy seemed to be sane but brainwashed and misguided, but still I'd feel,safer on a German train than outside an Irish fast food joint late at night (and coincidentally some lad suffered almost fatal injuiries in Carrick on Shannon there last weekend, but because a Muslim didn't do it there's no outrage about the violence or rush to think the world is suddenly unsafe)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

Anyone visted Israel or Jordan recently..

Is it safe at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Toss a coin. They are both about as safe as they ever are. Been to them and be sensible and that's all you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! This is the second time in a year that the issue of safety and holidays has come up for us. Cancelled trip to Brussels in May due to terrorist attack a couple of weeks before we were due to go there, now there has been a terrorist attack in Berlin. Last time it was my son who did not want to go to Brussels because of the terrorist attack, now, both of them, don't want to go to Berlin. Is anyone else travelling to Berlin over Xmas/New Year. How safe do you think it is? Have you thought of cacnelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

12 dead. In the US, more people are murdered before brunch everyday than that.

Perspective is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Victor wrote: »
    12 dead. In the US, more people are murdered before brunch everyday than that.

Perspective is needed.

To give perspective, those murders in the US are not generally carried out on religious grounds by extremist nutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was considering Berlin early in the new year and my plans haven't altered one iota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Safety? Berlin will most likely be the safest place in Europe during New Years week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steve wrote: »
    To give perspective, those murders in the US are not generally carried out on religious grounds by extremist nutters.
    This must be reassuring to other murder victims.

There is a saying along the lines of "Don't worry about he bullet with your name on it, worry about the one that say "To whom this may concern.""

However, in this case, I suggest "Don't worry about who is firing the bullet, but whether a bullet is being fired at you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Berlin is a lovely city. We went earlier this year and to be honest, l did think twice before going with the terrorist attacks happening in Europe. But, l thought that if l didn't go, then the terrorist would have won. I went and had a great trip. I would also agree with the previous poster who said that it's likely to be the safest place in Europe over the holidays. Security will be a priority so you'll be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would go in a heartbeat. To not do so lets these fools win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Berlin is awesome, keep your original travel plans

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi - I have the same question about Jordan.

Does anyone else have any views?

Would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who has been there recently. Was there any evidence of tension around the airports or cities? Did you encounter any refugees, or other issues relating to the situation in Syria?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

I suggest asking somewhere like here:
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g293985-i2131-Jordan.html
    http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/jordan/

I doubt there are many people who have been to Jordan recently on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marty81

Hi,
    I was there in June, flew into Tel Aviv, drove down to Eilat and across the Border into Jordan and then back to Tel Aviv via Jerusalem. No trouble at all anywhere during the week, only recommendation is to stay more than 1 night in Jordan otherwise you have to pay something like €100 for a 1 day visa, you get most of this refunded if you stay longer than 1 night. Think it's to stop tourists making 1 day trips to Petra. Any other questions ask away, it was a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Was in Jordan at Halloween. No security issues. Hired car from Amman airport. Drove to petra, overnight there then 2 nights at dead sea resort, lovely country, friendly people. Should have stayed longer ( was mainly in dubai that trip). Hope to return!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Hi. I've been reading about the unrest in Stockholm these days and would appreciate any opinions . I hope to travel there this summer but I'm having second thoughts now. They say the central station is Not as friendly as it used to be. Cheers Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

First I've heard of it?!
    Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Are you for real? I'm out there a fair bit - unbelievable place. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    First I've heard of it?!
    Links?
    Dont know how to send link but it concerns young gangs terrorizing people in the central station apparently without interference from the police. Id say right now there's more trouble in Sweden than Spain.

Dont know how to send link but it concerns young gangs terrorizing people in the central station apparently without interference from the police. Id say right now there's more trouble in Sweden than Spain.
    It's actually from dailymail.co.UK

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OP, could you please explain to me why you put the title Mr. Kevin on all threads you start. I'm genuinely curious and in reality it makes no sense if you're looking for people to respond as people don't know what the actual subject of the thread is.

Add Sweden to that website address. Then it's the second heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If it's in the daily mail then it's almost certainly not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi. I've been reading about the unrest in Stockholm these days and would appreciate any opinions . I hope to travel there this summer but I'm having second thoughts now. They say the central station is Not as friendly as it used to be. Cheers Kevin.

I'd say it's far more friendly than the scangerised area around Heuston Station in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Hi. Posed question already.but can't find my answers now. They have disappeared. Still trying to find out if anyone is aware of problems in central station in Stockholm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No, was in stockholm and malmo 3 weekends ago, no issues. Relax ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Informative thread title there OP

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

When I heard in the news the other day about popular resorts in Spain and Portugal being targeted it sent a bit of a shiver down my spine.
    But I dont think it would put me off. Might put the other half off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

toadfly wrote: »
    While I am slightly more wary, I won't let those who carry out these type of terror acts stop me travelling as much as I can afford to. I'm due to go to Poland in January and hoping to get a few more European trips in next year. The chances are tiny and if it happens, it happens.

Poland is amazing, been many times. Enjoy it...have some piwo and wodka!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Check the travel advisory for Iran on the US/UK/Irish foreign affairs website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once you travel to Iran you will struggle to ever get in to US again ever. Unlikely any travel insurance will cover you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Pretty sure major airlines don't fly over conflict zone of they can help it.

Relax OP I envious, I'd love to visit Iran, Try and go to Estafan I hear it's a must see while in the country, Do an internet search on traveling to Iran there and I'm sure you'll find lots of good reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Once you travel to Iran you will struggle to ever get in to US again ever. Unlikely any travel insurance will cover you there.

That's quite possible.
    Dwight Yorke, the former Manchester United and Aston Villa striker, has been denied entry into the United States because of an Iranian stamp in his passport, it was reported last night.
    Yorke, 45, a Trinidad and Tobago international, was travelling to the Caribbean, was refused permission to travel via Miami,  an airport which acts as a gateway to much of the region.
    He obtained the Iranian visa after playing in a charity match in Iran in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/18/dwight-yorke-denied-entry-us-iranian-stamp-passport/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair bit of nonsense on this thread. I was in Iran last year and it is a perfectly safe and extraordinarily welcoming country; it is easily one of the best places I've ever been and the people will bend over backwards for you. Parts of the country are dodgy e.g. the borders with Afghanistan and Iraq but you won't be there so don't worry.

1) Your wife will have to have a scarf on her head by law while out in public areas. It doesn't have to be the full regalia but more of a shawl set up. In private homes if you're with educated Tehranis you will probably be able to take it off.

2) Travel insurance is available and easily found online.

3) The US visa thing is an issue and you will have to fork out for a tourist visa and do an interview. I'm probably excluded from the US on my current passport at this stage but you'll probably ok if your work can make representations to the embassy that you were sent there for work. Research it more though and bring it up with your management.

4) Pollution and air quality in Tehran is dire and the traffic has to be seen to be believed. Do not drive over there yourself or you're guaranteed an accident. Driving is mental.

5) Like any big city exercise common sense but you'll find huge amounts of people willing to help you and advise you. Any questions you can PM me no problem and a few others here have had experience of Iran too.

Advertisement