Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone genuinely worried to travel for fear of being caught up in a terror attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 technics_1210

the biggest danger is the heat,

it;s gonna be 40 % celsius,

at your age i would rethink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Once you travel to Iran you will struggle to ever get in to US again ever.

That's complete nonsense.

If you've visited Iran after March 2011, you have to make an appointment to attend your local US embassy for interview & are precluded from travelling to the States again on a visa waiver. Also applies if you've been to Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen.

I'd imagine Dwight Yorke (who may well be a dual-citizen of UK & Trinidad & Tobago) made no provision that a rule change that was effected in April 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Once you travel to Iran you will struggle to ever get in to US again ever. Unlikely any travel insurance will cover you there.

BS on both counts. As outlined above you'd have to do an interview if you wanted to go to the US.

Travel insurance is easily obtained and not even particularly expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LordSutch wrote: »
    When out and about keep your valuables in a 'bum bag' turned round so that it sits on your tummy. Safest place away from pick pockets ...

Is the 80s back?

Bum bags?

They just scream steal me in my opinion and would attract people who are more aggressive than pick pockets.

Just do as you would at home and exercise caution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

I am thinking of traveling to Israel we are a couple just the two of us . would this be safe or dangerous to do ? has any one here done it our recommended it?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

It's as safe as any European city, a nice country with so much to do both culturally and relaxation wise(beeches / night life). I visited while on a work trip and as only had 2days vacation i availed of a tour company to see Bethlehem / galilee which I would recommend doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A number of western governments have issued travel warnings regarding visits to Israel and the Palestinian Territories. You might like to read them, bearing in mind that their purpose is more to call attention to all the risks than to enable you to put those risks in proper perspective. The UK travel warning is here. The Australian travel warning is here. The US travel warning is here.

Note that a lot of the risks identified are highly localised, and the level of risk varies widely. Governments are unanimous in saying that you should not travel to the Gaza Strip for any reason, but warning are more nuanced in regard to the West Bank, and confined to specific localities or situations in regard to Israel proper, and the advice there is more to exercise a high degree of caution rather than not to travel at all.

Much depends on your own attitude to risk. You might not encounter any kind of trouble, but would your holiday be spoiled by feeling that you had to be constantly cautious and permanently aware? For some people this would be a serious blot on the landscape, even if nothing untoward actually happened; others would take it in their stride. Only you know how you would be affected.

Israel has a huge tourism sector, so lots of people do go, and you'll find the country is well-equipped to serve tourists. There are beaches and nightlife, but these are nothing out of the ordinary for a Mediterranean country. It's the cultural and religious history, sites and artefacts than brings people to Israel.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A number of western governments have issued travel warnings regarding visits to Israel and the Palestinian Territories. You might like to read them, bearing in mind that their purpose is more to call attention to all the risks than to enable you to put those risks in proper perspective. The UK travel warning is here. The Australian travel warning is here. The US travel warning is here.

Note that a lot of the risks identified are highly localised, and the level of risk varies widely. Governments are unanimous in saying that you should not travel to the Gaza Strip for any reason, but warning are more nuanced in regard to the West Bank, and confined to specific localities or situations in regard to Israel proper, and the advice there is more to exercise a high degree of caution rather than not to travel at all.

Much depends on your own attitude to risk. You might not encounter any kind of trouble, but would your holiday be spoiled by feeling that you had to be constantly cautious and permanently aware? For some people this would be a serious blot on the landscape, even if nothing untoward actually happened; others would take it in their stride. Only you know how you would be affected.

Israel has a huge tourism sector, so lots of people do go, and you'll find the country is well-equipped to serve tourists. There are beaches and nightlife, but these are nothing out of the ordinary for a Mediterranean country. It's the cultural and religious history, sites and artefacts than brings people to Israel.
    Just read the UK, USA, Australian travel warning? my God got me thinking should We go to Israel???? not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very interesting country I'm sure, friend spent a couple of months last year working in the west bank, has upsetting stories to tell. Be very careful and do a lot of research, but don't write it off immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Just read the UK, USA, Australian travel warning? my God got me thinking should We go to Israel???? not sure

I would say go, street crime is low so in that sense it's a lot safer than many countries. Official travel warnings quite often tend to sound like you're stepping into a war zone. Fascinating place especially Jerusalem and the West Bank. Great food although it is expensive....a little more expensive than Ireland (depending on the exchange rate)

• Advertisement

Todd Gack wrote: »
    I would say go, street crime is low so in that sense it's a lot safer than many countries. Official travel warnings quite often tend to sound like you're stepping into a war zone. Fascinating place especially Jerusalem and the West Bank. Great food although it is expensive....a little more expensive than Ireland (depending on the exchange rate)
    Hi did you go there Israel yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Hi did you go there Israel yourself?

Yes, getting around was fine, the country itself is pretty small. Abraham Tours do a lot of day tours to make things easier. Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are only about an hour apart and there are plenty buses and shuttles. Ben Gurion Airport is in between the two and a bit closer to Tel Aviv.

Well, as a rough-and-ready comparison, crime rates in Israel are generally higher than in Ireland, but lower than in the United States. So, if you'd consider the US a safe country to visit, then you'd probably find Israel also a safe country to visit.

I think most people would consider that the US is generally a safe country to visit, but there are some areas/situations that you'd prefer to avoid. The same is probably true of Israel, and the travel warnings will help you identify the areas/situations that you might choose to avoid.

Israel is very heavily policed, and security tends to be very visible. Some people find that comforting ("They'll protect me!"); others find the opposite ("This is obviously a dangerous place!"). Again, only you know how this would affect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Extremely safe. Stick to Israel proper though. Don't go holidaying in Gaza or the west bank. I recommend Tel Aviv. Nice beaches, nice city, nice people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

Myself and a female friend did a bit of travel in the Middle East a few years ago and spent a few days in Israel. We crossed over land from Egypt and myself having an Irish passport got a bit of hassle at the border but apart from that things were fine. We took a bus to Jerusalem and spent a few days there and took some tours to the Dead Sea and around the city.

I'd highly recommend Green Olive Tours. We took a day trip with them into the West Bank and visited Camp Aida and Ramallah. It was a real eye opener.

Israel ? what cheapest flights to Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

HazelBee wrote: »
    Myself and a female friend did a bit of travel in the Middle East a few years ago and spent a few days in Israel. We crossed over land from Egypt and myself having an Irish passport got a bit of hassle at the border but apart from that things were fine. We took a bus to Jerusalem and spent a few days there and took some tours to the Dead Sea and around the city.

I'd highly recommend Green Olive Tours. We took a day trip with them into the West Bank and visited Camp Aida and Ramallah. It was a real eye opener.
    Can I ask why you got hassle over your passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

harr wrote: »
    Can I ask why you got hassle over your passport?

Yeah I think it was something like the poster above said. I was with about 10 people of all different nationalities and mine was the only passport scrutinised and I had to stand aside from everyone else while they asked me questions about travel plans and family background etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Probably something to do with Irish peoples unwavering support of Palestine..

We don' all support Palestine ~I stand with Israel.

• Advertisement

Israeli border security is extremely tough. Regardless of your passport you can be taken aside, questioned, have your bags searched, separated from other members of your party, questioned again. This applies at airports as well as at land borders, and it applies when leaving the country as well as when arriving.

Pro tip: if you take lots of photographs on your holiday in Israel, carry your SD cards (or other media storage) in your checked baggage. If its in your hand baggage when leaving, and you do get randomly selected for the full treatment, there's a sporting chance that your SD cards will not be there when your hand baggage is returned. (They take them away to examine the photographs, see where you went, who you met, etc to see if it tallies with your story.) If you complain, the official line is that your SD cards must unfortunately have been lost in the search, and they'll offer you compensation of the cost of a new SD card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

HazelBee wrote: »
    Yeah I think it was something like the poster above said. I was with about 10 people of all different nationalities and mine was the only passport scrutinised and I had to stand aside from everyone else while they asked me questions about travel plans and family background etc.

They do randomly pull people or profile them based on a number of factors. Likely though they saw your passport and thought potential IRA terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Irish passports aren't the most smiled upon in Israel but chances are you're be grand, if you're young they might screen you as a potential activist type but by and large you'll be fine - loads of Irish people go there every year for a variety of reasons.

Someone above mentioned Green Olive Tours and while I never went on one I met people out there who did and they said it was fantastic. I spent a while in the West Bank and East Jerusalem and enjoyed it, it really is a massive eye-opener. In general it's quite safe and the people are extremely friendly. Personally I think it's important for somebody going to that part of the world to see what life is like in the occupied territories if even for a day tour.

Israel can be a rewarding destination but there's a darker side to it than the bars and beach volleyball in Tel Aviv.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

I have been to turkey a good few times on hols to kusadasi , I'd love to go back again for the food and the shopping , I would be afraid to go though ,

Has anyone been recently ? Is the lack of tourism affecting restaurants with closures etc? Is there an atmosphere of tension? I can imagine the street sellers are unbearable with the lack of tourists

Thanks !

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    I have been to turkey a good few times on hols to kusadasi , I'd love to go back again for the food and the shopping , I would be afraid to go though ,

Has anyone been recently ? Is the lack of tourism affecting restaurants with closures etc? Is there an atmosphere of tension? I can imagine the street sellers are unbearable with the lack of tourists

Thanks !
    I was in Istanbul 4 years ago, and people keep asking me was I English and in the Army. I said I am Irish. feeling uncomfortable When I heard Army. I have been to Turkey 5 Times this time around it does not look safe at this time to me as a few years back could be wrong.

I was in Istanbul 4 years ago, and people keep asking me was I English and in the Army. I said I am Irish. feeling uncomfortable When I heard Army. I have been to Turkey 5 Times this time around it does not look safe at this time to me as a few years back could be wrong.

I'd stay the **** out of Turkey, it's on the brink of turning into a full-blown Islamic dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

A friend of mine is in Kusadasi at the moment. He's making me jealous with the weather in the photos he's sending me the last few days.
    Cost him lesa that €400 for flights and accommodation for a family of 4 for two weeks at easter.

He says it's like when you went up the north a few years ago.
    You know there is trouble going on somewhere but there is no sign of it when you are there. But before you go you think it is probably a war zone if you have never been. And it turns out just as peaceful a trip as any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Blimey, that would put me off going to Tel Aviv then. I'd hate being the only one of my group to be singled out like that and viewed with suspicion based on my nationality:(

• Advertisement

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Blimey, that would put me off going to Tel Aviv then. I'd hate being the only one of my group to be singled out like that and viewed with suspicion based on my nationality:(

Kinda like how the jews are singled out in the middle east by all their neighbours?

Israel is a great place to visit. They need heightened security because they are surrounded by those who deny their right to existence. Profiling is necessary.

You might get a few extra questions when you arrive and leave Israel. In Jordan or Egypt you are also going to be singled out. Westerner, non-muslim, apostate.

Kinda like how the jews are singled out in the middle east by all their neighbours?

Israel is a great place to visit. They need heightened security because they are surrounded by those who deny their right to existence. Profiling is necessary.

You might get a few extra questions when you arrive and leave Israel. In Jordan or Egypt you are also going to be singled out. Westerner, non-muslim, apostate.
    I don't think you've ever been to either Jordan or Egypt, have you?

Peregrinus wrote:
    I don't think you've ever been to either Jordan or Egypt, have you?

Yeah I've been to Egypt. Every single person I met was trying to rip me off. I also saw one poor American girl get nearly assaulted. Not a place I'd go back to in a hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

Yeah I've been to Egypt. Every single person I met was trying to rip me off. I also saw one poor American girl get nearly assaulted. Not a place I'd go back to in a hurry.
    "get nearly assaulted"
    surely there are better stories coming out of Egypt which you can use to convince people of the dangers of Egypt has been in the grip of a near Civil war for many years now, a near assault happens every day in every street of every village town city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Lots of people saying chances are slim etc. They are, but the odds are growing.. I still shudder to think that I was in Istanbul airpor last year with my wife and baby, in the exact terminal that was blown up only about 2 hours before it happened. Freaks me out a little.

That said, will I give up travel because of it? No.

Will I ever set foot in Turkey again? No!

PREG1967 wrote:
    "get nearly assaulted" surely there are better stories coming out of Egypt which you can use to convince people of the dangers of Egypt has been in the grip of a near Civil war for many years now, a near assault happens every day in every street of every village town city

She had a man at either side and they were pulling at her clothes, I think it started out as them trying to force her to buy something but started to escalate. We ran over and chased them off.

You are far less likely to receive hassle like that in Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

She had a man at either side and they were pulling at her clothes, I think it started out as them trying to force her to buy something but started to escalate. We ran over and chased them off.

You are far less likely to receive hassle like that in Israel.

I was in Egypt 7 years ago & myself and my friend (also female) thought someone was trying to steal our bags....nope just trying to grab our asses. That said, that was one incident out of a holiday that was (thanks to a volcano :rolleyes:) 14 days long and in one small area. Everybody else we met was lovely. So friendly and welcoming and no issue about religion, dress etc. I'd defo go back. Sure that kinda thing happens in a lot of places hundreds go every year for holidays - I've heard worse happening in Spain & when I was in my late teens there was an area in Greece that travel agents weren't letting leaving cert groups go to as the number of reports of rapes was so high. Every country has problem individuals.

And you think this happened because they considered her an apostate?

As a non-muslim woman of western origin she would be considered "easy" and acceptable to molest.

Handy guide from the lonely planet makes for scary reading.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt/women-travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As a non-muslim woman of western origin she would be considered "easy" and acceptable to molest.

I hate to burst your bubble, darling, but in my days of fertility I had many, many experiences with men trying to grab me by the arse, grab my breasts, stroke my hair, cut off bits of hair, steal my knickers off my clothesline, etc. It's men, not just Arabs or Israelis.

OP: As for "would you travel", hard to say. Having lived through the Dublin of the 1970s-90s, when it seemed like every second day there was a new bomb attempt or bomb threat from the UVF, I tend to be cautious but generally go places.

Paris, which I visit fairly often, is thronged with soldiers patrolling in threes. If you take the number of people killed or injured by loonies in a year and place that number against the number passing through the city in the same year, you wouldn't regard it as that terribly risky.

But if you're going to spend your time on holiday being terrified and not enjoy it, it's not worth it.

(I had a neighbour for a while in the Dublin suburbs, a nice girl from Mayo, who was constantly knocking me up in the early hours to come and check the house for burglars and have a soothing cuppa with her. She went back home to where she felt safe. I would not in a million years feel safe in an isolated rural house!)

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble, darling, but in my days of fertility I had many, many experiences with men trying to grab me by the arse, grab my breasts, stroke my hair, cut off bits of hair, steal my knickers off my clothesline, etc. It's men, not just Arabs or Israelis.

Egypt has a well-documented reputation as a hotbed of sexual harrassment. Travelling there alone as a woman is dangerous. Implying that it is not is irresponsible.

http://harassmap.org/en/what-we-do/the-map/

Egypt has a well-documented reputation as a hotbed of sexual harrassment. Travelling there alone as a woman is dangerous. Implying that it is not is irresponsible.

http://harassmap.org/en/what-we-do/the-map/

You're quite right; I wouldn't go to Egypt because the men there have a sick attitude to women.

But don't think it's the only place women get harassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Are you really saying that the reason why sexual harassment is so common in these countries is because of just 'men'?

It's entirely to do with the backward culture and religion in the Middle East/North Africa. By your logic if the only problem is 'men', you should just be as likely to be sexually assaulted in Canada or Japan as Egypt or Pakistan.

The fact is there is a big problem in the Arab world with treatment of women and while Israel has its problems, you aren't anything as likely to be sexually assaulted there as it's the most Western and (relatively speaking) progressive country in the Middle East.

VG31 wrote: »
    Are you really saying that the reason why sexual harassment is so common in these countries is because of just 'men'?

It's entirely to do with the backward culture and religion in the Middle East/North Africa. By your logic if the only problem is 'men', you should just be as likely to be sexually assaulted in Canada or Japan as Egypt or Pakistan.

The fact is there is a big problem in the Arab world with treatment of women and while Israel has its problems, you aren't anything as likely to be sexually assaulted there as it's the most Western and (relatively speaking) progressive country in the Middle East.

Well… yes, it's "just men" in the sense that a patriarchal culture gives men a sense of all-encompassing power.

We think we're free of it in Ireland - yet our government of mainly conservative men proposes handing over control of childbirth to an organisation that imprisoned, beat and enslaved women for over a century and profited from their slavery, and two of whose modern facilities the HSE is trying to remove from their control because of the awful conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Well… yes, it's "just men" in the sense that a patriarchal culture gives men a sense of all-encompassing power.

We think we're free of it in Ireland - yet our government of mainly conservative men proposes handing over control of childbirth to an organisation that imprisoned, beat and enslaved women for over a century and profited from their slavery, and two of whose modern facilities the HSE is trying to remove from their control because of the awful conditions.

Jesus, in my view the Sisters of Charity should have nothing to do with the NMH but to say the government is trying to give them "control" is just hyperbole.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jesus, in my view the Sisters of Charity should have nothing to do with the NMH but to say the government is trying to give them "control" is just hyperbole.

It's not, you know. If you think it is, then toddle along to St Vincent's, which they own, and ask for a vasectomy.

They will have the right to appoint their choices to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's not, you know. If you think it is, then toddle along to St Vincent's, which they own, and ask for a vasectomy.

They will have the right to appoint their choices to the board.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 4 board positions from 9 they have input into. Doesn't that mean that even if they appointed 4 hardline Catholics (and I'd doubt it'd be that straightforward), they still wouldn't have "control"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 4 board positions from 9 they have input into. Doesn't that mean that even if they appointed 4 hardline Catholics (and I'd doubt it'd be that straightforward), they still wouldn't have "control"?

They have total control with 0 input allowed from anyone else of 4 out of 9 board seats. All they need is 1 of the 5 government appointed seats to be conservative then there is total conservative/religious control of services they offer and procedures they carry out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I was in Gaza in 2015 while visiting Tel Aviv, I met a few Hamas members and some Gazan citizens, quite nice actually.

Lovely lads, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They were nice to deal with, I didn't mean they were good people. They were very co-operative and not overly aggressive, which was against my expectations.

I presume they are savvy enough to keep foreigners "onside" (as long as they are the "right kind" of foreigner).

• Advertisement
Advertisement