Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going straight into a Hdip in Computer Science

Options
  • 14-11-2015 7:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

I'm asking this on behalf of girlfriend. In the past she has worked in I.T. for various companies such as Microsoft and is due to complete a course at Pulse college. She wants to do a Hdip in I.T. or computer science but she has not done an under grad' course in University. She doesn't want to spend 3 years doing an undergrad as she wants to return to the workforce. Is there anyway she could go straight to a one year Hdip course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm asking this on behalf of girlfriend. In the past she has worked in I.T. for various companies such as Microsoft and is due to complete a course at Pulse college. She wants to do a Hdip in I.T. or computer science but she has not done an under grad' course in University. She doesn't want to spend 3 years doing an undergrad as she wants to return to the workforce. Is there anyway she could go straight to a one year Hdip course?

I did a 1 year hdip in the NCI. Also went on to do a 1year postgraduate diploma. Had no it experience before hand. Was tough going but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not if its in demand and there's competition for places. Realistically.

On the other hand, why not a part time degree? Each is a level 8 on the national framework.

Edit: As per post above, I hadn't considered private colleges. Be grand. Cheque book and a smile will get her in. Hard work will get her through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The workload and academic framework should be practically doable for one who as mentioned has prior IT experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Also doing a H/dip in Science in applied computing at the moment, I came from a culinary background with some work IT and was accepted without problems, I did have to pass a interview to be accepted into the course.

any questions send me a pm .

Advertisement