Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to work <1,000 2015

Options
  • 14-11-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I know there has probably been several threads similar to this but I cannot find them (using the built in search engine or Google), or the info I'm looking for, so if any one can give me advice or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I plan on cycling from Crumlin to Dundrum which is 7km , mostly flat, and back.

I do like the look of the flat bar road bikes like the giant rapid 2 and the trek 7.* series.

Can anyone more in the know advise me if these are good choices or are there better (value for money)alternatives.

One other thing. Would you recommend waiting until January to buy. Will the prices drop after Christmas.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

oorrccaa wrote: »

Will the prices drop after Christmas.
    Probably not, unless someone ends up heavily overstocked

Indeed in recent years the retailers have been keen to attract business in the lead up to Christmas with a few more offers often around to encourage you to buy from one retailer ahead of others

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shops will be very busy in the run up to Christmas, so if your order requires anything unusual or unique you might find you get better service in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

For that journey any bike will do. If you are using it only for the stated purpose, you don't need to spend lots to get a very suitable bike. A flat barred bike is a very comfortable commuter. I currently commute on a mountain bike that is 20yrs old. I go all over the place on it, avg day 40km, incl hills. Some people say to me I should upgrade, but it's a fine bike for the purpose I need it for.

Lots of people get lured into spending the full €1000, but for many people, that's way to much to spend for a commute bike (my opinion anyway) The best thing to do is research and set your budget, then view, try etc. if you feel you are getting a good deal, buy!

Happy cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Thanks for the replys.

Does anybody else think it's overkill spending that much for the the journey I will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anybody else think it's overkill spending that much for the the journey I will have.
    I think you're in the wrong place for that sort of opinion. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for the replys.

It does depend. A lot of people start off with short journeys and then get hooked, usually resulting in an upgrade (or two!)

Yeah I reiize there's a chance of that.

I get 52% of so I might as well get the best I can is what I'm thinking.

Anyone got recommendations on a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Anyone got recommendations on a bike?

You'll go a long way to beat the rapid. Best of both worlds i.e 25mm tyres, road bike frame, flat bars for comfort and a decent group set.

Advertisement