Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100k build???

Options
  • 14-11-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok before I get eaten alive ;-) I know this probably sounds completely barkers. However I have zero idea of what building costs and want to ask a question to you guys who have lots more experience than me.

Firstly, I live in the West of Ireland and we have our own site. We are in the middle of obtaining planning permission and are waiting on mortgage approvjal. We have sold our house and are very luckily coming away with a tidy profit of 70k.

Initially we had planned on building a decent size of over 2300sq ft house. However we have come to the conclusion that we absolutely don't need this size at all....1000sq ft would be sufficient.

So my question....Is it possible to build a 1000sq ft house with 100,000euros. We are a family of 4 and currently live in a 1300sq ft house...we are very simple people and don't want a huge mortgage if possible. Again we live in a cheaper area in terms of building costs but I'm sure it doesn't differ hugely? Maybe I'm completely bonkers....but is this realistic??

Be kind please ;=)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Young family of 4? That 1000sqft will get very small very quickly when the ung' uns start having their own craic.. I'd be looking at 1500sqft min and work the costs from there.. Can you do any of the work yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Hi cricketycrick,

Did you ever think about the prefabricated log homes? There are a few places doing them. Just google it and you'll find some places. They look great.

I agree with you on smaller houses. We just downsized out of choice and are much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Anything is possible if you are prepared to expand your horizons beyond the accepted norms. Have a look at this for example : http://www.dominicstevensarchitect.net/#/25k-house-prototype/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

Wait for brian f to come and say you'll need 222000 min to finish it out , but if you're living in the real world 100000 is more than enough to finish out a 1000 Sq ft house , prices are about 80 euro per square foot for a builders finish where I am and that includes ware and tiles in bathrooms , you'll have 15 to 20 grand to put your own touches to it as long as you keep the materials and finishes as simple as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭893bet

I am going to say no. If 1000 feet then I assume it's a bungalow which means the same size foundation and roof as a standard house. A lot of fixed cost are prob the same e.g water connections, esb, insurance, etc so have to paid regardless of size.

I am on target to build 2200 square feet for 200k. I would say mid to high spec. House will be fully finished inside and out but not furnished or and driveway, or landscaping done. I would put my own labour contribution at 15k minimum.

If going direct labour I think 100k might get you to a builders finish. Then 20-80k to finish.

• Advertisement

I am going to say no. If 1000 feet then I assume it's a bungalow which means the same size foundation and roof as a standard house. A lot of fixed cost are prob the same e.g water connections, esb, insurance, etc so have to paid regardless of size.

I am on target to build 2200 square feet for 200k. I would say mid to high spec. House will be fully finished inside and out but not furnished or and driveway, or landscaping done. I would put my own labour contribution at 15k minimum.

If going direct labour I think 100k might get you to a builders finish. Then 20-80k to finish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wait for brian f to come and say you'll need 222000 min to finish it out , but if you're living in the real world 100000 is more than enough to finish out a 1000 Sq ft house , prices are about 80 euro per square foot for a builders finish where I am and that includes ware and tiles in bathrooms , you'll have 15 to 20 grand to put your own touches to it as long as you keep the materials and finishes as simple as possible

Where are you based?

Clare , 3 builders in my area pricing around the same price of between 75 to 90 a square foot for builders finish , 1 house that went for tender during the summer has just been started at 80 euro a Sq ft including ware and tiles in bathrooms.. another builder just finished a house at 75 a Sq ft not including ware or tiles , recessionary prices are still the norm around here anyway

Clare , 3 builders in my area pricing around the same price of between 75 to 90 a square foot for builders finish , 1 house that went for tender during the summer has just been started at 80 euro a Sq ft including ware and tiles in bathrooms.. another builder just finished a house at 75 a Sq ft not including ware or tiles , recessionary prices are still the norm around here anyway

Those are very cheap prices alright. I'd love to see the spec and finish, and then see how much it would cost to complete the house to "move in" condition.

Here in Dublin, it's getting harder to get it done for lower.

The spec would be basic but the finishes would be of good quality , the tradesmen 1 builder would have would be top notch in fairness , the other builder wouldn't be bad either , it's very good value for money , but prices aren't going up around here , they're still at the same rate they were at 3 years ago and more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hey,I just want add here that a friend of mine did the shipping container thing during the summer,not sure of the footage involved but it was over a 1000 sq feet.I've yet to see it but the pictures look superb,he built it and had it finished for well less than 100k- It's the route i hope to take next summer, If i get his permission i'll put a few pics here

The spec would be basic but the finishes would be of good quality , the tradesmen 1 builder would have would be top notch in fairness , the other builder wouldn't be bad either , it's very good value for money , but prices aren't going up around here , they're still at the same rate they were at 3 years ago and more

I suspect a lot of these house are built with little regard for part L or F of the building regs.

mulbot wrote: »
    Hey,I just want add here that a friend of mine did the shipping container thing during the summer,not sure of the footage involved but it was over a 1000 sq feet.I've yet to see it but the pictures look superb,he built it and had it finished for well less than 100k- It's the route i hope to take next summer, If i get his permission i'll put a few pics here

Where was this?
    Is t a permanent home or temp home?

kceire wrote: »
    Where was this?
    Is t a permanent home or temp home?

Permanent-it's up in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

What are your own skillsets? Are you a tradesman ie Blocklayer/Carpenter/plumber that can take one of these costs out of the equation to a degree?

1000 sq ft I think from experience could realistically be done for 130k to a decent finish. Though you have to take on a lot of grunt work yourself, PLUS pre design to the 9th degree will really help with costs and decision making.

I see it all the time, plans are rushed out to get planning with no thoughts on streamlining design for costs. Aim to be digging the foundations armed with a full set of technical details so without any query on construction details or your energy package. The sub contractors will love it also being able to accurately price too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

893bet wrote: »

Well some of the attendant costs are not going to change much if at all, as you say, so building half the house does not half the price.

Builders finish, but to what (technical) specification ? What BER and related values are being guaranteed at that level ??

As previous, 'spec would be basic' means what, exactly - can you tell us u-values, airtightness values achieved etc on those.

Back to the OP's question: imho, I don't think it's possible unless you have direct access to trades to help you. If you were to hand this to a contractor then no, it's not possible.

You could possibly get it done for €115k with a squeeze and a lot of help including your own labour, and it would want to be a very simple design: no dormers, hips, etc etc. And I'd echo that 1000sq ft is small for 4 + 2................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ok before I get eaten alive ;-) I know this probably sounds completely barkers. However I have zero idea of what building costs and want to ask a question to you guys who have lots more experience than me.

Firstly, I live in the West of Ireland and we have our own site. We are in the middle of obtaining planning permission and are waiting on mortgage approvjal. We have sold our house and are very luckily coming away with a tidy profit of 70k.

Initially we had planned on building a decent size of over 2300sq ft house. However we have come to the conclusion that we absolutely don't need this size at all....1000sq ft would be sufficient.

So my question....Is it possible to build a 1000sq ft house with 100,000euros. We are a family of 4 and currently live in a 1300sq ft house...we are very simple people and don't want a huge mortgage if possible. Again we live in a cheaper area in terms of building costs but I'm sure it doesn't differ hugely? Maybe I'm completely bonkers....but is this realistic??

Be kind please ;=)

Sorry, forgot to ask: you're waiting on mortgage approval to do what, based on what, exactly......... ? What have you given the Bank in your proposal vis-à-vis project size, cost etc ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Permanent-it's up in Kildare

Can you post a kink to the planning file on their website?
    How did it comply with building regulations?

I'll ask if he doesn't mind,As far as i know he didn't have too much trouble,except one side of the house had to be dashed to keep in character with other houses around,

I'll ask if he doesn't mind,As far as i know he didn't have too much trouble,except one side of the house had to be dashed to keep in character with other houses around,

Please ask, as its already in the public domain on the LA website.
    Even by PM if he doesn't want it in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

The spec would be basic

How basic but? Does it comply with the regulations? if you could give us a sample wall/floor/roof build up and confirm the heating/ventilation type that can be done for €75 per sq ft (excluding or including VAT ??) the would provide great insight for the OP and the rest of us too. Thanks

Please ask, as its already in the public domain on the LA website.
    Even by PM if he doesn't want it in public.

Are you looking for plans? I really don't want to ask in him for his details on it, I still don't even know the full procedure involved,I will be lookin more into it for myself as I'd like to do something similar next year

Are you looking for plans? I really don't want to ask in him for his details on it, I still don't even know the full procedure involved,I will be lookin more into it for myself as I'd like to do something similar next year

The plans are already online. Everything is public. Just easier search if you got the planning number.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Just to add my voice to this, be very interested to hear about your friends experience, we've considered similar but there's not many in Ireland who've done it successfully and (relatively) cheaply.

Would your friend be up for joining Boards and starting his/her own thread?

No, just a planning reference number.
    All the rest is online and available to the public.

If he only built this summer, then he built under the BCMS regime, so must of had an Assigned certifier and obtained a Completion Cert from the LA.

No, just a planning reference number.
    All the rest is online and available to the public.

If he only built this summer, then he built under the BCMS regime, so must of had an Assigned certifier and obtained a Completion Cert from the LA.

Ok, I will put it up if he gives it to me,I've no idea if he will,or give any of those other details etc,,,Am i right in sayin that since september,self-build projects have changed,for when i want to try start my own project

KT10 wrote: »
    Just to add my voice to this, be very interested to hear about your friends experience, we've considered similar but there's not many in Ireland who've done it successfully and (relatively) cheaply.

I can ask for sure,I was living in Canada when his was being built,i'm not long back,I haven't even had the chance to see it,but like you,I've been interested in it for a long time,saw many examples in Canada and would like to go that route,if it's straight-forward

KT10 wrote: »

Whilst it can be relatively simple, there's still a lot of work involved to meet regs etc, and I'm failing to see how that makes anything 'cheap'...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I can ask for sure,I was living in Canada when his was being built,i'm not long back,I haven't even had the chance to see it,but like you,I've been interested in it for a long time,saw many examples in Canada and would like to go that route,if it's straight-forward

Any word on that PRN? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement