Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide tires

• 14-11-2015 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if its possible to fit wide tires onto the original rims on a tractor or do you have to upgrade thew wheel rims too ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you were only going one size wider maybe but if you are putting on extra wide tyres the rim will be smaller as the tyre will be higher. eg. changing from 13 36's to 18 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

What size tyre do you have?, you could go with something like a 70 profile tyre, that will give you a wider tyre on the same rim but keep the same diameter/rolling circumference

e.g. 16.9 R38 is the same tyre as 420/85 R38, but you can also put a 480/70 R38 on the same rim, it has the same diameter/height but is 6 cm (over 2 inches) wider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Sorry for hijacking tread.
    I have 18.4 r34 tyres they are in bad shape. Can I put 16.9 r34 on? A mate has 2 decent ones that I can have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

jimini0 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking tread.
    I have 18.4 r34 tyres they are in bad shape. Can I put 16.9 r34 on? A mate has 2 decent ones that I can have.

If it's a 2wd tractor, no problem. If it's a 4wd, not unless you change the front tyres as well. The 18.4 has a larger rolling circumference than the 16.9. It will affect the 4wd cause the ratios will be different.

If it's a 2wd tractor, no problem. If it's a 4wd, not unless you change the front tyres as well. The 18.4 has a larger rolling circumference than the 16.9. It will affect the 4wd cause the ratios will be different.
    Thanks
    I kinda thought that would be the case. I might just keep a look out for a second hand 18.4. Even one would do cos one of them is badly split

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Or take the two 16.9 and get different ones for the front

IH784man wrote: »
    Or take the two 16.9 and get different ones for the front

The ones on the front are in good shape 40-50%
    If I was to find front ones what size would I need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Bumping an old thread here but can anyone tell me if its possible to go with a wider tire. Currently the fronts are 13.6 R28. Can I go to 14.9 R28 without the need of changing the rim??

Advertisement